• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can a SPDIF switcher or receiver add noise or distortion to a system?

For example, would this switcher or this splitter add noise or distortion to my audio system? My intuition tells me no as the former just uses a switch to change outputs, so there's no room for it to add noise or distortion while the splitter shouldn't because it has to do is exactly copy the bits coming from the input and paste it to three different outputs.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
For example, would this switcher or this splitter add noise or distortion to my audio system? My intuition tells me no as the former just uses a switch to change outputs, so there's no room for it to add noise or distortion while the splitter shouldn't because it has to do is exactly copy the bits coming from the input and paste it to three different outputs.

Neither will add any noise nor distortion.
Either of them can add some very small jitter but the it is the DAC's task to remove that.

Optical splitters (with a power supply) will have 1 receiver that outputs a High/Low signal which then gets fed to 3 (or maybe even 1) LED driver which switches on/off the transmitters (LEDs). Nothing is added processed or anything. receiver -> driver -> transmitter

The optical switch (with a power supply) is doing it the other way around. It has 3 receivers and a 'switch' that lets the selected input go to the transmitter.
That switch can be a real switch, relays or digital ports depending on functionality. 3 receivers -> switch (in whatever form) -> driver -> transmitter
Also here everything is digital. No noise added, nothing is processed nor 'decoded and re-encoded).

Of course there will be a different optical waveform. The light intensity will have changed, the digital waveform may have changed slightly (signal width, duty cycle, jitter) but this is all digital and does not affect the encoded bits that represent data. That data is not just audio but also lots of other data.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Be warned that 24/192 audio can be a gamble due to bandwidth limitations. Toslink transmitters and receivers only suitable up to 24/96 still seem to be quite common.
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog...-192-kHz-fähig-entgegen-der-Herstellerangabe/
(It gets embarrassing for the manufacturer if 192 kHz is advertised but does not actually work at all, as in the above case.)
Apparently 16 Mbps (as in the switcher you linked) is not sufficient for 192 kHz, and you'd need the fancier 25 Mbps parts in there. I think the baud rate for 24/192 is 192000 (kHz) x 24 (bits) x 2 (channels) x 2 (biphase mod) = 18.432 Mbps, and if you combine that with a cascade of 16 MHz RX + TX and some stuff in between (but no regeneration of any kind), you can see why that's a problem.

If you're happy with 24/96, either should work fine. Those wielding a soldering iron should also be able to retrofit some compatible higher bandwidth parts if need be.

Top Bottom