• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can a motherboard output audio @ the 3.5mm jack and the JDS Labs ATOM DAC+ simultaneously?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I use Win10 and I have a:

- ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-F GAMING WIFI motherboard.
- JDS Labs ATOM DAC+.
- Schiit Magni Heresy headphone amplifier.

When I installed the JDS Labs ATOM DAC+ today the analogue 3.5mm audio output stopped outputting audio. The JDS Labs ATOM DAC+ is working very well. Can I configure the PC to output audio at the 3.5mm audio and at the JDS Labs ATOM DAC+ simultaneously? So I can run 2 sets of headphones at the same time?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
There's a reason why this isn't a standard feature on Windows (unlike on the fruity side of computing) - without a way to synchronize the clocks of both DACs, playback will eventually drift apart and generate buffer overruns/underruns. So tread with caution.

What you can do is picking any one of your output devices. If you choose the default devices in the right order (you need the "old" sound control panel for that, i.e. the one with the system sounds on it), you could even make use of the onboard audio's jack detection to autoswitch. Plus, you don't have to use the default device - most music players will let you pick the output device.

Lambda

Major Contributor
It is possible with software like Jack.

but not ideal and can cause trouble because of the reasons mentioned by AnalogSteph

Fror example Pipewire trys to solve this by asynchronous resampling

BeerBear

If by 'simultaneously' you mean playing audio from one app into different soundcards, that's a challenge. Although something like VoiceMeeter might be able to do it.
But if you mean playing from different apps, it's not a problem, as long as the app lets you choose the soundcard (this might be obvious, but I'm posting it just in case).

dasdoing

Major Contributor
If you have an input device called stereo mixer in the control panel you can via the listen tab. can't give you a real how-to since it has been a while, but you should figure it out

DB- audio voicemeeter is capable to output on 2 outputs , 1 asio/wdm/dx and 1 wdm/dx only.
They have also voimceeeter Banana which is capable of 3 outputs , 1 asio only on the 3, wdm/dx on the 2 others.
It even have a recorder and basic eq on the sources and Full Parametric EQ on outputs.
The softs act as an output drivers , so you will have some cpu utilization .
I personally use Banana and it's very powerful.

Top Bottom