• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can a monolith spark bought in US work in Europe (or other amp suggestions)?

eigenvalue

Hi guys,

I want to upgrade my headphone amplifier (I currently have a fiio e10k but plan on using that or a dongle as a dac once I upgrade amp). The best value amp that I have found so far is the liquid spark which would cost 120 euro imported to Europe, however my main worry is the ac - dc converter that comes with it won't have support for 220V. There are other amplifiers however they seem to be more expensive and probably not worth the additional cost (Magni @ ~160 euro , jds atom @ ~ 150 euro, l30 @ ~ 160 euro). If any of you guys know whether or not the spark supports 220V input that would be great or if any other Europeans have found other solutions and are willing to suggest an option, my upper limit is 150 euro but would obviously like to spend less. Many thanks.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Hi guys,

I want to upgrade my headphone amplifier (I currently have a fiio e10k but plan on using that or a dongle as a dac once I upgrade amp). The best value amp that I have found so far is the liquid spark which would cost 120 euro imported to Europe, however my main worry is the ac - dc converter that comes with it won't have support for 220V. There are other amplifiers however they seem to be more expensive and probably not worth the additional cost (Magni @ ~160 euro , jds atom @ ~ 150 euro, l30 @ ~ 160 euro). If any of you guys know whether or not the spark supports 220V input that would be great or if any other Europeans have found other solutions and are willing to suggest an option, my upper limit is 150 euro but would obviously like to spend less. Many thanks.
Welcome Aboard @eigenvalue.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The review says it's a laptop style smps but doesn't explicitly say what the input voltage range is. Most of those will accept 220V as well as 110V so I wouldn't expect a problem. In the unlikely event that it is 110V only, you should be able to get a local equivalent psu within the remaining €30 budget.

Katji

Major Contributor
^^As per that, but you would need an plug adaptor unless it is normal to get devices with euro 2-pin plug in USA.

OP
eigenvalue

eigenvalue

The review says it's a laptop style smps but doesn't explicitly say what the input voltage range is. Most of those will accept 220V as well as 110V so I wouldn't expect a problem. In the unlikely event that it is 110V only, you should be able to get a local equivalent psu within the remaining €30 budget.
Ok I have done some further research and I believe it should work with just a regular US to UK adapter as I have found a EU shop which sells the spark and this is what they claim as well, should only cost 5 euro or so for an adapter. The plan will probably be to sell my e10k and buy a dongle as it measures better and I can recoup some of the money.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
The PSU on my Liquid Spark is marked 100-240v, 50/60 cycles.

Bought about 2 years ago on US Amazon.

Still working great. Seems to drive my new 18ohm HE5XX superbly. I see absolutely no need to replace it.

OP
eigenvalue

eigenvalue

The PSU on my Liquid Spark is marked 100-240v, 50/60 cycles.

Bought about 2 years ago on Amazon.

Still working great. Seems to drive my new 18ohm HE5XX superbly. I see absolutely no need to replace it.
Thank you for the further clarification that the psu is indeed 240V compatible.

Katji

Major Contributor
^^As per that, but you would need an plug adaptor unless it is normal to get devices with euro 2-pin plug in USA.
:-s Sorry, I didn't read properly / too quick. So it's the other way around. ...I also have one of those adaptors.

Top Bottom