• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can a headphone amplifier be converted to mono?

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Since i could not find any answer i thought i start a new thread so that we can come to some conclusions? The reason was instead of buying expensive high power amps to use 2 inexpensive ones and have the same and more power and also to have the ability ro control channel imbalances.I t hought it would be possible with amps that have differential output but what about single ended amps?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What's expensive about Heresy, Atom, L30 etc ?
Need more power than those or is the lack of gain a possible issue ?

You can 'bridge' most any SE headphone amp but it requires a phase shifter (can be as simple as a line transformer with CT) and you would also have to make a special headphone cable that has 2 stereo TRS plugs (marked for L and R).
This is something else than 'mono' by the way.
A lot of hassle that, in general, can provide max. 6dB higher SPL (for higher imp. headphones) down to no improvement for low imp. headphones.

Last edited:
OP
C

Chrise36

Major Contributor
What's expensive about Heresy, Atom, L30 etc ?
Need more power than those or is the lack of gain a possible issue ?

You can 'bridge' most any SE headphone amp but it requires a phase shifter (can be as simple as a line transformer with CT) and you would also have to make a special headphone cable that has 2 stereo TRS plugs (marked for L and R).
This is something else than 'mono' by the way.
A lot of hassle that, in general, can provide max. 6dB higher SPL (for higher imp. headphones) down to no improvement for low imp. headphones.
I was thinking about using 2 L30s in mono and have right left balance control. How would that work regarding the schematics? Would that need a y splitter for every channel in every amp?What if you can use an inverted signal eg from a dsp 4 channel Dac? Would that make the transformer obsolete?

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You can of course also use a DAC with balanced out and connect + and - to L and R for each channel.

OP
C

Chrise36

Major Contributor
This way you have balanced source dual mono headphone amp and twice the power than a say A90 or A30pro with much less cost.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Using a DAC with 4V out (balanced) you would be able to reach 11V (1W, 120ohm, 0.4W 300 ohm) in high gain mode.
The A90, run from the same DAC and used balanced out would be capable of reaching 17V so that trick will not get you near the power of the A90.

OP
C

Chrise36

Major Contributor
17v? That is very powerful. And what about in comparison to an A30pro?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
16V in balanced out.

Can I ask you what you want to drive with it ?

3125b

Major Contributor
The maximum safe input voltage for the Sundara is 9V - anything more is completely pointless.
The L30 is a very good amplifier, but one is plenty.

OP
C

Chrise36

Major Contributor
I want a bit headroom for DSP i guess i can try with one first and see how it goes.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Sundara is 104dB/V (acc. to Tyll)
You won't be needing to reach more than 120dB SPL so 6.3V is enough.
The L30 can reach 5.6V (with a 2V DAC) so 119dB SPL is possible on high gain, volpot completely open and music reaching peaks of 0dBFS.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I want a bit headroom for DSP i guess i can try with one first and see how it goes.

Then you need more gain rather than more power or a DAC with a significantly higher output voltage or a line-level step up transformer to act as a gain stage.

OP
C

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Then you need more gain rather than more power or a DAC with a significantly higher output voltage or a line-level step up transformer to act as a gain stage.
I am running Roon at -1 dbfs to avoid digital clipping -5db that needs for eq what voltage do i need for say 95db spl

solderdude

Grand Contributor
-6 dBFS = 1V out from the DAC. On H gain setting (+9.5dB) = 3x gain = 3V out = 113dB peak is around 100dB SPL average (depends on DR rating) = about 90-95dBA depending on musical content.

Top Bottom