• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can a Fiio D3(Taishan) drive HD 600s via a JDS Labs Atom?

ihavenoidea

So, I know the JDS Labs Atom is great, but would driving them through the cheap Fiio D3 degrade the sound I get on the HD 600s?

OP
I

ihavenoidea

Thanks for the reply.
The FiiO D03K, used as a DAC between the source (computer?) and the JDS Atom, will not degrade the sound.
But without knowing what your using currently as the DAC function, it's not easy to compare.
It also depends on what kind of audio your listening to.
My two cents is to buy a Hifimediy DAC.
https://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs?sort=p.price&order=ASC
I am not using anything currently, as I have not received any of the equipment yet. My choices are either using it through the D3 or with my motherboard, z170a msi gaming m5.
What I wanted to ask was if the D3 would "hold back" the hd 600s and the Atom, being the "weakest link in the chain" and all that.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What I wanted to ask was if the D3 would "hold back" the hd 600s and the Atom, being the "weakest chain" and all that.
It won,t hold anything back the D3 and Atom are both perfectly suited for that job.

Last edited:
OP
I

ihavenoidea

It won,t perfectly fine to use it this way

According to here, the maximum output Vrms of the D3 is 1.39:
"Max voltage output at 0 dBFS, VRMS 1,39
Max voltage output at 0 dBFS, dBV 2,87
Max voltage output at 0 dBFS, dBu 5,09"

Do you think this is enough? I read somewhere that the output voltage might affect the dynamic range or something, so I was wondering if the D3 outputs enough voltage for the HD600s and Atom.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
No problem at all.
6.3Vrms is more than enough to drive the hd600 loud enough. Even when using EQ.

Last edited:

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I only use mine for the Samsung TV so I can hook the TV to the receiver.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
That is the max output of the Atom using the D3 while it is on max gain setting.
More than enough. You won't be able to clip the Atom.

OP
I

ihavenoidea

That is the max output of the Atom using the D3 while it is on max gain setting.
More than enough. You won't be able to clip the Atom.
Would the output be enough on low gain? I heard it works best on low gain, so.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Most likely it may even play loud enough on low gain as well.
Both low and high gain perform audibly equally well. It just has slightly better measured performance.

OP
I

ihavenoidea

Most likely it may even play loud enough on low gain as well.
Both low and high gain perform audibly equally well. It just has slightly better measured performance.
Is it being loud enough the only concern? What about "dynamic range"?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The dynamic range will be about 120 dB and since human dynamic range is about 70 to max 80 dB when listening to music this aspect to is covered more than enough.

zermak

The dynamic range will be about 120 dB and since human dynamic range is about 70 to max 80 dB when listening to music this aspect to is covered more than enough.
And if you consider that pop music has a very low dymanic range I wouln't worry at all; even with good material actually.
Anyway I am kinda mixing things here but you will not hear any unwanted noise for sure.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I don't think @ihavenoidea is talking about that "dynamic range" you and @solderdude answered to. I might be wrong, but I think he wants to know if loud and dynamic enough, therefore he quoted "dynamic range".

Dynamic range of a transducer is defined as how loud it goes before distorting.

So if the cans can do 120 dB....is there something else you want it to do? Go louder?

Or are you asking about the distortion aspect?

I'm confused about what you're asking about....

Nango

Major Contributor
He said: Is it being loud enough the only concern? What about "dynamic range"?

Given the context of his asking and that he used quotation marks for "dynamic range" I think he wants to know how capable this amp will be for proper driving his phone, how quick it will be to proper accelerate and attenuate the membrane. He is not asking about loud or not, that is already clear to him, I understand. But I might be wrong, as I said.

Top Bottom