• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can a DAC improve soundstage, depth, separation?

Narnian

Finally did a test the last two days of a different DAC to see if I can hear a difference.

I have a Marantz NR1200 which supposedly uses the AK4458VN chipset in a dual channel mode (it has multiple channels) and have been running a WIIM into it using optical. When I used the RCA outs on the WIIM to use it’s internal DAC I could hear it was inferior to the Marantz internal in clarity and sound stage one so I had some discernment capability.

Yesterday I received a Topping DX3 Pro+ DAC (ES9038Q2M) and have tested it running the WIIM optical into it and then analog RCA into the Marantz.

After playing about a dozen test songs multiple times doing A/B tests I have come to the conclusion I cannot hear a substantial difference between using the internal DAC and the external Topping DAC. They had a very subtle difference in sound but nothing I could clearly pinpoint to say one was better that the other.

I am not running this through headphones but through my Revel M105 speakers.

I have 3 months to return it thanks to Amazon so I will keep doing some testing and will report back if anything jumps out at me after I dig deeper into the Topping capabilities.

Last edited:
Top Bottom