• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can’t choose an XLR cable

Jon.kin96

So I’m looking to ditch my RCA’s and switch over to xlr but can’t decide on a cable to buy. My three choose are as follows

-Cable matters premium xlr
-GLS xlr patch cables
-audioblast 3ft cables

the price differences are negligible but I’d rather buy one set and not have to replace them.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Really doesn't matter. Just get one with Neutrik plugs for durability. If you want to use it for mics in an environment with a lot of noise and interference get star quad cables.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Audioblast or switch to worlds best cables. Assuming I am remembering right that Audioblast has Neutrik or Amphenol connections.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Audioblast... or the ones Dmitry is offering... or WBC, which are basically the same thing as Audioblast.

Reactions: mac
OP
J

Jon.kin96

Really doesn't matter. Just get one with Neutrik plugs for durability. If you want to use it for mics in an environment with a lot of noise and interference get star quad cables.

theyll strictly be used for interconnect between a marantz 7705 and my external amps for my 7.2.4 setup.

OP
J

Jon.kin96

DimitryZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Last edited:

sailor2005

Worlds Best Cables come in 2 versions of Amphenol XLR's with Gotham, Mogami or Canare cables, all in star quad. I have the Gotham and Mogami.
Audioblast comes star quad with Amphenol XLRs. I have one pair of those.
All excellent.

Slayer

so the audioblast should be a good choice, then.
Yes, I have many XLR cables from Canare, Mogami and Audioblast. I prefer the Audioblast cables, better build quality and cost half as much as the others.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
theyll strictly be used for interconnect between a marantz 7705 and my external amps for my 7.2.4 setup.
Any XLR cable will do in that case. Get star quad for peace of mind if you want, but it wont make a difference. Just get Neutrik plugs and you are good to go. I run cheap 15m XLR cables (with Neutrik connectors) to my rears and have no issue. And use these for my NC400's: https://www.audiocables.eu/collecti...icrophone-cable-w-gold-neutrik-xlr-connectors

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
+1 on Blue Jeans cable, if you're Stateside.

They can make any length you like.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I build my own from Canare cable and Neutrik jacks. Not hard, quite cheap.

DimitryZ

Forum Donor
yeah, I am not spending blue jeans money, though. No chance. Haha
I will be happy to send you ~4 pairs of the Solaris cable in shorter lengths and you can add more as needed. I didn't see the foil, which sometimes is tricky to see (unless you are making it yourself), but the vendor claims it's there:

High purity UPOFC copper conductors for signal transfer integrity
Twisted pair construction for greater noise rejection
100% Copper foil + a 95% braid shielding for superior added noise isolation
Teflon™ dielectric insulator for reduced capacitance, sonic accuracy and maximum detail
3-Pin XLR Balanced connector ensures maximum contact and signal transfer
Woven braided outer jacketing material for flexibility, easy pull and longer life.

Either way, there was no noise with these cables.

Top Bottom