• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CamillaDsp Moode not working

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I'm very much a beginner when audio dsp is concerned but want to experiment with Rew and eq to see what can be achieved.

I first started with my desktop setup consisting of a raspberry pi, a Topping dx7pro and Genelecs 8030 A. The Raspberri pi 4 (edit: 3b) has the latest version of MoOde and the Camilladsp plugin installed. Audio out is via spdif allo digital board. I exported a file from Rew with the eq settings. By default it seems to be in txt format. I uploaded this file in the Camilladsp plugin.

I noticed that when I turn Camilladsp on in MoOde I get an error message like: alsa error. Couldn't find audio output.
When I turn camilladsp off again everything works as it should. Custom peq also works.

Can anybody help to get the Rew auto eq export file to work in Camilladsp(in MoOde)? What do I need to check/do ?

Last edited:

MCH

Major Contributor
What i do instead of dealing with eq settings etc, and have always worked to me, is:
When you are done with your eq in rew, go to the main rew window to the tab where the measurement you have eq is.
In the menu, choose export > export filters impulse response as wav
Will ask you what sample rate etc you want and will save the .wav file
In moode's camillasdp you can go the easy way selecting "fast convolution filter" (i think it is called something like that) and you can select that wav file generated by rew and that's it.
Hope it helps. I don't have a computer in front of me right now. If you get into trouble i can explain you later more in detail.
Good luck.

OP
Marc v E

Marc v E

Major Contributor
What i do instead of dealing with eq settings etc, and have always worked to me, is:
When you are done with your eq in rew, go to the main rew window to the tab where the measurement you have eq is.
In the menu, choose export > export filters impulse response as wav
Will ask you what sample rate etc you want and will save the .wav file
In moode's camillasdp you can go the easy way selecting "fast convolution filter" (i think it is called something like that) and you can select that wav file generated by rew and that's it.
Hope it helps. I don't have a computer in front of me right now. If you get into trouble i can explain you later more in detail.
Good luck.
I followed your instructions and can indeed export a file as wav.
That file I have just imported in Camilladsp.
Now when I press play I get the message: MPD error. Failed to open audio output.
My settings are here:

Schermafbeelding 2022-05-24 om 20.08.39.png

MCH

Major Contributor
I hope others chime in because i am far from being an expert, but something calls my attention in your screenshot. It says "parametric eq".
Did you select "fast convolution filter" in the audio settings?

MCH

Major Contributor
Sorry, it is "quick convolution filter":
Screenshot_20220524-201938_Chrome.jpg

And where it says ir left and ir right, you upload your wav files that you generated in rew.
The screenshot is taken from here, where you can find additional ingo that can help you (hopefully). Maybe you have a newer version of moode and the looks changed?

Thread 'Dummy to dummy multichannel DSP on the ultra cheap instructions' https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...el-dsp-on-the-ultra-cheap-instructions.30660/

OP
Marc v E

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I may have just solved it myself by changing settings in the dsp tab.
When I looked at the settings again in post 3 I noticed resample rate was set to off. Checked dsp settings again and saw I had to select quick convolution filter in the first dropdown named configuration. (Edit: I just saw you suggested the same.)
Will confirm tomorrow with a test if it works

Last edited:
Reactions: MCH
OP
Marc v E

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Succes! Thank you for your valuable feedback!

I checked out your thread: very brave to start from scratch.
Nice to be part of your journey by that thread. It's what's the ASR community is all about (...at least to me :))
I will write a new post once I have measured my main speakers

Reactions: MCH

MCH

Major Contributor
Camilladsp and raspberry pi are in my opinion two of the best things that happened to audio for the budget conscious people.

Enjoy!

threni

Major Contributor
I hope others chime in because i am far from being an expert, but something calls my attention in your screenshot. It says "parametric eq".
Did you select "fast convolution filter" in the audio settings?
It actually says "paranetric" - a typo which was fixed on later versions (I know because I reported it!), so OP should consider upgrading to 8.0.2 as who knows what bugs have been fixed since.

OP
Marc v E

Marc v E

Major Contributor
@threni Good point. I thought I already upgraded to the latest as I ordered MoOde to update. Seems the latest version I can get is from 2021-09-24. Maybe the reason is the raspberri pi is an older 3b version...which I chose because Allo digital board only worked with 3b at the time of purchase...

Ah something else became clearer too: when I restart the pi, MoOde disengages the CamillaDsp setting. I had to select it again under configuration.

Last edited:

threni

Major Contributor
@threni Good point. I thought I already upgraded to latest as I ordered MoOde to update. Seems the latest version I can get is from 2021-09-24. Maybe the reason is the raspberri pi is an older 3b version...which I chose because Allo digital board only worked with 3b at the time of purchase...
I think it's probably just that if you're on 7.x you can't upgrade to 8.x without writing a new image to the card. You can upgrade from 8.x to 8.y without having to do this - just a quick in-place upgrade. But 7 -> 8 was an OS upgrade which can't be done in place. You can backup your settings before upgrade so it's not that big an inconvenience.

MCH

Major Contributor
I noticed you changed from moOde to another player.
Which one might that be? And what was your reason to change ?
I still use moodeaudio for my headphone and garden rigs.
For my main system i use now squeezelite because i was a bit fed up with the upnp apps i needed to use in my phone, but that's a different story that only applies to my personal use case.
If you want to go further into the camilladsp world i highly recommend you to visit @mdsimon2 thread. Michael is not a fan of moode but there is plenty of information about camilladsp and knowledgeable people there:

Thread 'RPi4 + CamillaDSP Tutorial' https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/rpi4-camilladsp-tutorial.29656/

That said, if you just want to set up your eq or room correction and forget, with moode you are in good hands.

OP
Marc v E

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I just tried out PEQ versus the automatically generated eq file in REW.
This is so much fun and the difference so stark, anybody in hifi should get into eq-ing!

One thing I noticed is that the automatically generated REW eq file seems to cut the bass region substantially.
Is there any way I can remeasure with the eq applied?
That way I could see in data what's going on.

(I suspect I prefer a stronger bass, ie a stronger slope than the target slope in REW I used.
And my second suspicion is it's probably my inexperience with the settings that caused it :) )

MCH

Major Contributor
I do it like this:
Rew tone generator gives you the option to save the tone as a file. Do it.
Then stream that file as it was a song to your moode with the eq set up.
Record the tone with the umik in audacity (free software) and export the recording as a wav file
Then, again in rew, in the main menu you have the option to import sweep recordings. You will have to upload the original tone and the recording from audacity.
That's it

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just tried out PEQ versus the automatically generated eq file in REW.
This is so much fun and the difference so stark, anybody in hifi should get into eq-ing!

One thing I noticed is that the automatically generated REW eq file seems to cut the bass region substantially.
That way I could see in data what's going on.

(I suspect I prefer a stronger bass, ie a stronger slope than the target slope in REW I used.
And my second suspicion is it's probably my inexperience with the settings that caused it :) )
You can define a House or Preference Curve in REW with slightly boosted bass (ca 2 to 4 dB or what ever you prefer).
(Set Speaker Type to Fullrange (not Sub as in your screenshot) and then use the available menu to define your Housecurve, I would also define some Tilt ca -0.5 to -1dB/octave so the House Curve follows roughly your In Room response and doesn’t boost the highs or limit EQ to max ca 250Hz).

Last edited:
Top Bottom