• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CamillaDSP macOS tutorial for total beginner?

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
Hi all,

I'd like to use CamillaDSP on macOS to apply room correction FIR filters from Focus Fidelity to audio from both my turntable (via an audio interface) and audio from digital sources, e.g. Tidal, VLC, Safari.

Is that possible?

If so, is there a really basic, idiot-proof tutorial on how to get up and running with CamillaDSP on macOS?

Many thanks,

James

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am about to try using dsp based crossovers for an active 3 way system, would also like to use room correction. All on mac. A bit overwhelmed looking through things on google. Would be great if there was some sort of beginner's guide...

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am about to try using dsp based crossovers for an active 3 way system, would also like to use room correction. All on mac. A bit overwhelmed looking through things on google. Would be great if there was some sort of beginner's guide...

I wrote a brief post on how to get up and running on mac here -> https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...overs-room-correction-etc.349818/post-7131218.

Hi all,

I'd like to use CamillaDSP on macOS to apply room correction FIR filters from Focus Fidelity to audio from both my turntable (via an audio interface) and audio from digital sources, e.g. Tidal, VLC, Safari.

Is that possible?

If so, is there a really basic, idiot-proof tutorial on how to get up and running with CamillaDSP on macOS?

Many thanks,

James

What you describe is possible.

Probably the easiest way is to switch your CamillaDSP capture device between Blackhole (for digital sources from the Mac) and the audio interface by changing CamillaDSP configurations.

There are some options to get an analog signal in to software players, for example the waveinput plugin for LMS/squeezelite although I am not sure if it is available for mac.

Michael

OP
Jas0_0

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
I wrote a brief post on how to get up and running on mac here -> https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...overs-room-correction-etc.349818/post-7131218.

What you describe is possible.

Probably the easiest way is to switch your CamillaDSP capture device between Blackhole (for digital sources from the Mac) and the audio interface by changing CamillaDSP configurations.

There are some options to get an analog signal in to software players, for example the waveinput plugin for LMS/squeezelite although I am not sure if it is available for mac.

Michael

Thanks Michael, really helpful
James

WohnW

@mdsimon2 Dear Sir, have you ever tried to run CamillaDSP in Windows (10) system? I can't go for Linux based installation since I have audio interface which is not recognized as multichannel by Linux (while it's by Windows). I downloaded camilladsp.exe and camillagui. All I am trying to do is to run camilladsp.exe in cmd with attributes -w (wait for config from websocket) and -p5000. Server strats but when I try to connect via 127.0.0.1:5000 I got following erros. What am I ding wrong?
1669068057613.png

WohnW

I have not tried windows 10 but try using -p 1234 instead of -p5000. Port 5000 is specified in the GUI configuration (5000 is default), not when running CamillaDSP.

Michael
Dear Michael, thanks for your reply, appreciated. No luck here but I guess it's another problem here - perhaps you could assist me with your knowledge. I looked in yaml file and see camillagui expect to have camilladsp folder configuration, does it? If yes should I create respective folders in camilladsp.exe location folder?
1669112510326.png

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure how it works on Windows but on Mac and linux you do want to create ~/camilladsp/configs and ~/camilladsp/coeffs directories as they are the locations that will be visible to the GUI for FIR coefficients and configurations. As I understand it symlinks are now disabled by default (as a result of symlink issues on Windows) so it doesn't really matter what you do with active_config.

Just my opinion but I would try starting camilladsp with a configuration file rather than using -w and trying to specify something from the GUI. Once you have it working by directly specifying a configuration then worry about the GUI.

Michael

Last edited:
Top Bottom