• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Camera Sales Continue to Plummet

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mirrorless performs its AF using the image sensor itself. DSLR does not and requires calibration. Also, if there is any focus shift when a lens stops down, a mirrorless can be take care of it by focusing with the lens stopped down. If you do the same with a DSLR, the view in the view finder will likely be very dim.

IIRC, newer DSLRs on live view mode can also stop down to whatever aperture you set if you hold the DoF button so you don't need to use the optical viewfinder plus if you're in auto ISO, it will automatically adjust that to maintain metering just like using an EVF in mirrorless. Then again, I don't think there's enough data yet that mirrorless can work well with extreme wildlife photography (on muddy or murky conditions, extremely fast moving subjects, etc.) unlike DSLR so maybe that's still an area where DSLRs are still dominant

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
right now, DSLRs have the edge for sports & BIF, i.e. action (at least in the daytime)

how long that will last is anybody's guess - esp. since some mirrorless systems let you use a pre-burst to save several frames before a bird takes off...

then there are the old lenses, with unusual rendering: old Leicas, old Nikons (yes, I have 2 of these), old Zeiss for Hassy bodies (yup, got 2 of those too) - these give a... wait for it... more analog rendering - which is fun for some

but for general use I moved to mirrorless (Panasonic) a few years ago - I use the Leica design lenses mostly - great with clouds in landscapes

the m43 gear is smaller (usually) so easier to carry and while not a comprehensive a system as Nikon can do nearly everything, plus some things nikon cannot do

Last edited:

Asylum Seeker

No inherent design advantage, none, zero not one? Prove it. All I know is when I pick up a Z6 and look through the viewfinder I find it much harder to compose rapidly than when using my D850. There are technical issues, but to avoid starting a war with mirrorless camera owners, I will not go into that. The last time I mentioned a factual problem they all got upset with me.
OVF does have at least one design advantage - it uses no battery power.

Top Bottom