• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge Soundworks PC Works, old 2.1 system, measurements and EQ

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
This PC sound system was sold from 1999 onwards, price in Germany was 199 DM, discounted to 149 DM a year later. You got a small vented sub with a 5" class driver and two closed cubical 2.5" satellites, all clad in beige plastic. About a year back, this one was snagged for the princely sum of about 20€ on the 'bay in order to grace the office of a music-loving colleague and part-time organist with limited funds.

The satellites were set up to the sides of a 19" monitor on a typical 80 cm deep desk (one of a pair of workspaces facing each other), facing forward, the sub being behind the monitor slightly towards the left, port plugged with an old sock to keep the boominess at bay. Sub level had been adjusted by ear for a balance midrange response. 3-4 measurements were taken at slightly varying positions, on average maybe 30"-45° off-axis, mic pointing at satellite as far as possible. (Sonarworks SoundID Reference mic into EVO 4, 0° calibration loaded.)

Results:
messung csw 2.1 rew a.png

I always thought they sounded good in the midrange with the sub placed nearby and the sock mod, and that's pretty much confirmed. You couldn't quite get rid of exaggerated bass (confirmed), and the highs would be a bit sharp. Turns out that's quite a bit more than just a bit...

And this is the predicted response with EQ:
predicted csw 2.1 rew a.png

Due to the nature of wideband drivers (there is a marked change in highs response in the vertical) and desk placement, this is only ever going to be accurate at a few points in space, so I wouldn't expect things to be perfectly ironed out, but things are substantially less strident and boomy for sure. The top octave still seems a tad hot, but overall, pretty good.

Sadly, my own set (which admittedly was yellowed a fair bit) has apparently been disposed of. At least the remaining 12V / 1.5 A power supply proved handy when the local WiFi router began to go on strike... turns out transformer plug pack supplies don't last forever either. Mind you, the previous supply had been running for over 20 years combined and I bet would work fine again with a new filter cap, assuming I could be bothered to attack the ultrasonic welds.

Attachments

• eq-csw2.1-l-3.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 48
  • eq-csw2.1-r-3.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 39

Tupisac

Hey, I've had those! You've just sent me down a memory lane.

Remember hearing them for the first time and the sound blew me away. So much bass, crystal clear treble... Compared to your usual powered computer speakers from that era those were truly something else. They could even compete with my friends boomboxes and dads towers as a viable PA solution for home parties.

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ouch! I have a pair of these and haven't used them for 18 years. Was thinking of using them in a basement workshop I'm setting up, but that sever suckout at 2 kHz! Wow. That is the presence range right there....

OP
AnalogSteph

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Honestly, that suckout would be the absolute least of my worries. It's only like 1/3 octave wide, and dips are known to be far less critical than peaks. I presume it's a byproduct of the breakup modes that give us the elevated highs following immediately after (and I think my measurements aren't entirely doing those justice, you can pretty much consider the entire highs range to be elevated).

The main priorities should be sorting out the one-note bass and biting treble (after flattening out the lower midrange), following which you're likely to become very aware of the directivity of a 2.5" driver. I used to use my system as bedside-fi on top of an FM tuner and was quite happy like that. It should be quite adequate for a basement workshop.

jbattman1016

I think we need to get some measurements of the model 88 radio, I'm still using one and it really sounds great for my office. :)

Top Bottom