• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge Edge W power amplifier measurements

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Oliver Masciarotte and Stuart Yaniger of Audio Xpress reviewed and published some nice in-depth AP measurements on this power amplifier for anybody interested here; this is a beautifully packaged amp and Cambridge audio doesn’t get much discussion here.
Review (PDF) here

Max

Forum Donor
Nice ! The THD and the multitone spectrum are clean. Thanks for posting, I didn't know this Cambridge line.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oliver Masciarotte and Stuart Yaniger of Audio Xpress reviewed and published some nice in-depth AP measurements on this power amplifier for anybody interested here; this is a beautifully packaged amp and Cambridge audio doesn’t get much discussion here.
Review (PDF) here
Thanks for sharing. At least, this is not audiophile BS. Very clean for a Class AB amp, with stellar industrial design. Still, I don't think it is competitive regarding power abilities...

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Very good measurements, but 4k usd for 200W in 4 ohms is not very competitive with an NC252MP for example imo.

Vasr

Major Contributor
I have always found Cambridge Audio products intriguing (and aesthetically pleasing) but the price always off-putting for what they deliver. Why would anyone buy this over the Benchmark paying $1000 more?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I have always found Cambridge Audio products intriguing (and aesthetically pleasing) but the price always off-putting for what they deliver. Why would anyone buy this over the Benchmark paying $1000 more?

Esthetics is a significant factor for some. It's absolutely gorgeous.

Pluto

Forum Donor
Audio Xpress reviewed and published some nice in-depth AP measurements on this power amplifier
Although it is difficult to take a reviewer seriously when he writes comments such as...
At the time of the review, my Level 3 speaker cables had reached the end of their service life

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
Although it is difficult to take a reviewer seriously when he writes comments such as...
At least he knew enough to burn in the new cables before serious listening ;)
"For comparison, I used two identical Soundstring GEN II Digimax-18 power cables for the Edge W and my Class A Lindell AMPX reference (see Photo 3). At the time of the review, my Level 3 speaker cables had reached the end of their service life, so I reached out to Paul Speltz at Anticables, who provided an upgraded set of Level 3.1 cables. After a burn-in period, the new pair exhibited improved resolution and mo’ betta bottom, so I felt I was ready to dig into the subjective portion of the review."

nemanja_t

Forum Donor
But how they compare to CA 851W, which is cheaper and more powerful with 200W per channel in 8 Ohms? Both are utilizing A class for first watts, that’s why there are heating so much.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How do you know when your cables reach the end of their 'service life'? I mean, other than when the end terminations short out, or something. Do these special cables come with a meter, or do they turn a different color when they are used up? This gave me my beginning of the week laugh out loud, but I'd sort of like to know. Just theoretically mind you...

Vasr

Major Contributor
Esthetics is a significant factor for some. It's absolutely gorgeous.

Fair point. It has that Apple look going for it.

Although I must say that the alternatives aren't just Behringer, Crown, or Paradigm type (unnecessarily busy) designs. It is subjective on how one values aesthetics, of course, but Benchmark AHB2 isn't an ugly duckling either.

OP
McFly

McFly

Re price; only came up on my radar because the benchmark is about 50% more expensive vs this once landed down here. I found the measurements and knew people here like measurements.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
IMD is horrible. Distortion harmonics are also a bit high. Noise is also not very impressive. Not bad overall among all other junks but definitely not the first tier performance.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
IMD is horrible. Distortion harmonics are also a bit high. Noise is also not very impressive. Not bad overall among all other junks but definitely not the first tier performance.

That's a... novel reading of the data. HD was lower than the AP residuals, IMD for 19/20kHz was at -120dB.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
That's a... novel reading of the data. HD was lower than the AP residuals, IMD for 19/20kHz was at -120dB.
Am I reading the wrong data??:facepalm:
EDIT:
I don't think so. There's only one file shared on this thread. Isn't it -11x dB harmonics ? And 0.002% thd+n with 4ohm at 5W? -100dB imd with next order higher to near -90db?

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Am I reading the wrong data??:facepalm:
EDIT:
I don't think so. There's only one file shared on this thread. Isn't it -11x dB harmonics ? And 0.002% thd+n with 4ohm at 5W? -100dB imd with next order higher to near -90db?

The HD is the AP residual, as mentioned in the text. 1st order IMD (1kHz) was -114dB below the 14V reference, then take another 6dB because there's two 14V signals.

Top Bottom