• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge Edge W power amplifier measurements

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The HD is the AP residual, as mentioned in the text. 1st order IMD (1kHz) was -114dB below the 14V reference, then take another 6dB because there's two 14V signals.
Oh Shit. That's a 525. Ok.

OP
McFly

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It will be a while before the benchmark is dethroned, but I thought it appeared to be a good class AB offering as the (benchmark aside which is class AB with a SMPS) ASR charts are dominated by class D.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Geert

Major Contributor
It's good for a class AB Amp with audiophiles buzzwords. It's, however, not competitive when it comes to power and pricing.
Not when you compare it to a class D OEM board based amp and a Chinese DAC. But compared to respected class A or AB amps with integrated DAC, e. g. Moon or Hegel, it does makes sense. The competitors do have integrated streaming, but the build quality of the Cambridge is superb (without being over the top).

Anyway..., just making excuses for the fact that I bought an "Edge A". Because you only live once ;)

Not when you compare it to a class D OEM board based amp and a Chinese DAC. But compared to respected class A or AB amps with integrated DAC, e. g. Moon or Hegel, it does makes sense. The competitors do have integrated streaming, but the build quality of the Cambridge is superb (without being over the top).

Anyway..., just making excuses for the fact that I bought an "Edge A". Because you only live once ;)
Curious, are you happy with the Edge A? considering getting it to upgrade my my Nad M32.

Thanks.

TabCam

Very good measurements, but 4k usd for 200W in 4 ohms is not very competitive with an NC252MP for example imo.
Most amplifiers, NCore also, are not 2 Ohm stable. The Edge W is now powering 4 parallel 6.5 ohm woofers with a combined impedance dip to 1.6 Ohm without a hitch. Owners of larger magnetostats will love them.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Most amplifiers, NCore also, are not 2 Ohm stable. The Edge W is now powering 4 parallel 6.5 ohm woofers with a combined impedance dip to 1.6 Ohm without a hitch. Owners of larger magnetostats will love them.
Funny you say so, as I own Thiel CS3.7 tower speakers, 2.7 ohms and 10" woofers, and I can listen bass heavy music into them as loud as I can for as long as I want and the amp barely warm. That is real world testing. :)

TabCam

My different experience probably stems from a underpowered NCore, I think it was the 252. Looking at the specs it should be 2 Ohm stable, even the NCore252MP. The review of the Buckeye NCx500 made me think in that direction. It can also be that less power in 2 Ohm means it sounded unstable.

That said, I am still impressed with the stability of the Cambridge Audio Edge W. The Purifi and Pascal class D amps shot into protection but expected as outside of specs. Although on paper it 'just' has 100 Watts, it increases even going into 2 Ohm territory.

direwolf08

I’m pretty much a noob here, but the IMD measurement in the attachment seems intuitively like an interesting and (maybe?) informative measurement. Seems Like reviews here would benefit from including similar data. Am I missing something where this measurement has no real world, audible relevance?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I’m pretty much a noob here, but the IMD measurement in the attachment seems intuitively like an interesting and (maybe?) informative measurement. Seems Like reviews here would benefit from including similar data. Am I missing something where this measurement has no real world, audible relevance?
The review linked in the beginning of the thread has IMD and multitone. As expected, the performance is excellent.

Top Bottom