• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge DacMagic replacement

pbi76

Hi everyone,

I have what I think is the first version of the Dac Magic. It's predates the Dac Magic 100 and the Dac Magic Plus. I need another DAC for another room and I figure it would be a nice time to upgrade and/or try something different. Without the ability to test at home, I will be buying blind. Return policies are also only for defective products. On top of that, not all brands are available where I am at.

While I listen to subjective reviews, I also want something that measures well. I was ready to get the Ares II as it gets good reviews and measures relatively well but I backed out when I read about a weird behavior of one of he filters and that the NOS mode is allegedly not NOS. I understand that audibility is a different story altogether but it does not feel right to buy something that does not work as advertised.

I looked at the Qutest but the price is so high. I considered the Bifrost 2 (mainly because it's a different approach) but I will have to import it and the resulting landed cost will be USD200 more.

I am also considering Topping. I don't get to try a different approach but the measurements and pricing are good. On the subjective end, I like how one reviewer compared the D70s to the Ares II. Are there other models I should look at? MQA is not important to me and I prefer not having to use a wall wart.

Thanks.

gvl

Major Contributor
Topping E50 just popped up. Looks like a winner apart being new and not knowing of issues, if any.

OP
P

pbi76

Topping E50 just popped up. Looks like a winner apart being new and not knowing of issues, if any.
Thanks! I must have missed that review while typing my post. It seems to be a good option.

gvl

Major Contributor
Do you need inputs apart from USB or remote or volume control? If not Topping D10s is good and cheap if not minimalistic, I have one, it sounds fantastic.

OP
P

pbi76

Do you need inputs apart from USB or remote or volume control? If not Topping D10s is good and cheap if not minimalistic, I have one, it sounds fantastic.
I have been using optical from a Mac Mini since the DacMagic's USB is limited to 48Khz (yes, it's that old, hehehe).

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Make a list of what kind of I/O and other features you need and any nice-to-haves. So far we've got:
* Toslink in
* unbalanced out, I guess, given that this is what the DacMagic had
* integrated power supply

What are you planning to feed with it?
Do you need volume control, maybe even with a knob? I imagine you should have some kind of software volume control available on the Mac Mini (and in fact it may prove useful to limit peak levels to a bit below 0 dBFS), but this may not be too convenient to use.

Where are you located, since you say availability may be an issue?

OP
P

pbi76

Make a list of what kind of I/O and other features you need and any nice-to-haves. So far we've got:
* Toslink in
* unbalanced out, I guess, given that this is what the DacMagic had
* integrated power supply

What are you planning to feed with it?
Do you need volume control, maybe even with a knob? I imagine you should have some kind of software volume control available on the Mac Mini (and in fact it may prove useful to limit peak levels to a bit below 0 dBFS), but this may not be too convenient to use.

Where are you located, since you say availability may be an issue?

Apologies, I should have done that earlier.

The DAC will be used for a speaker setup. The DAC can be fed with either Toslink or USB by a Mac Mini. My integrated only has RCA inputs and I do not see having one with balanced connections anytime soon. MQA is not important. Effectively, what I need is a very basic DAC. I use Roon with volume set to fixed and I don't want/need volume control and I am in the Philippines.

All things considered, I am contacting the Topping reseller for E30 and E50 availability. I think I should be fine with either one.

Top Bottom