• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge cxnv2 or Marantz cd player?

pererpan

I have now a bluesound node but don't find the soundquality good. I am a older stereo fan and now in dubt what to do. Back to a cd player, Marantz cd 6007 or the cd 60, or Cambridge cxnv2? Which will give the best soundquality? I play rock en metal and know not the best recordings but don't want a player that highlighted that. CD's in flac on a nas. Don't stream Tidal, spotify etc.

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Have you considered adding an external DAC to your Node? Something like the SMSL D-6 would be very cost-effective. If purchased through Amazon, you have a 30-day money-back trial.

Note that the Cambridge CXN V2 is not a CD player, but is a streamer similar in function to your Node. It does seem to be a pretty nice piece of gear.

OP
P

pererpan

I don't know this dac. But i like a big sound and the bluesound node doesn't. I have a analog amp, mf m5si and tannoy xt8f speakers which i like.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure I understand. If you want to play CDs, use a CD player. If you want to play ripped files (or streaming) the Cambridge isnt going to be night and day different to either the CD player or the Node.

Sure, it measures better, and it has balanced outputs if your amp has xlr inputs and you suffer from grounding or RF noise, but its not going to transform your listening experience.

Decide what format you want as your source and proceed accordingly.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
My suggestion is to stick with what you know. Digital hasn't got game-changingly better since the introduction of CD. But playback from digital files in an uncompressed way offers pretty much a decent facsimile, in a convenient, if boring delivery method.

If I play a CD on one of my TOTL vintage CD players, it always sounds better than some instant playback of the same track from my NAS into whatever D/A I happen to have hooked up. And when it comes to actual emotional enjoyment, the physical media wins everytime. I know it's BS, but it's actually real- if that makes sense.

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
it's actually real
To you. And that's ok, but try to resist proselytizing. For many people, streaming a local music collection or an online music service is a fine solution. Let people be happy with the choices they've made.

I'm sure we differ on what constitutes "actual emotional enjoyment". Yet, no one has ever demonstrated -- within a proper controlled, double-blind test -- that they can reliably hear a difference between a CD and a stream of the same file. If they had, the little magazines would have a field day with it!

OP
P

pererpan

For sound quality; Cambridge cxnv2 or back to CD with Marantz CD 60?

Top Bottom