• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge AXA35 Integrated Phono Stage vs. Budget Separate?

astrokari

I love my Cambridge AXA35 integrated and I'm decently happy with its built-in phono stage — but I'm contemplating adding a separate phono amp to my setup as an upgrade. I'm wondering how the AXA35's phono stage compares to something like the Cambridge Solo, Rega Fono Mini A2D, or another similar budget phono amp? From my research, it seems like the built-in stage is decent (all things considered), but I'm thinking there might be better options out there for ~$200. Any good recommendations for worthwhile upgrades?

For the record (Hah!) my TT is a vintage JVC JL-A40 with a Pickering XV-15 cart. Thanks!

Chazz6

What qualities are important to you in order to deliver a better option? Depending on your answer, a tube phono preamp might be the thing.

OP
astrokari

astrokari

That’s a great clarifying question. I’d like more vibrance and detail out of the phono side of my system, especially for records with a lot of acoustic instruments or vocals. I realize this might necessitate upgrading the turntable itself at some point.

More generally, I also value fairly good separation and definition (“textures”, even) in my listening. I don’t like anything too clinical, and my system already toes that line with some digital music - so I’m hoping to get some more clarity out of my records while still keeping a good measure of analog warmth.

... on a budget :p
(realistically, I can go up to about $300 right now for a phono amp, but I also have some music I want to purchase so coming in under that mark would be nice).

Top Bottom