• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge Audio Solo Phono Preamplifier Review

Tom C

Major Contributor
That's why I would buy it.

Then again, I have a Michell Gyro SE as my TT and wear mechanical watches.

So I think that says something about my priorities.

If I want perfect performance, I listen to digital.

I hear you on the 12" arm, though. Given the plinth size, it seems a waste not to.
I’m having a random, off-topic side thought.
Piaget is exquisite in design and form. So here we have an individual with exquisite taste, and who was a strip club bouncer, which is a cool and macho role. How is it he calls himself nerd?

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I got the GR, I was deciding between it and the G. I could get the GR x 2, plus a TOTL AT cartridge for the same money as the G alone...
The G has basically the identical design with parts and materials upgrade. Added platter weight by applying a brass layer, tonearm’s made of magnesium instead of aluminum, higher grade bearings, and such. But can you hear it? I haven’t heard a G, but I’m thinking no. 1000R and its sibling is more of the same (piled higher and deeper), and even has the same arm. I appreciate a thing of physical beauty, but it just chaps my hide to pay so much more for questionable performance benefit. Guess that’s why I hang out at ASR. Personally I would be much more persuaded if they had upgraded the tonearm to a 12-inch model, or better still, a linear tracker, rather than “improve” an already outstanding drive and platform system. And how about vacuum hold down? It can’t be that hard, and certainly not beyond their capacities. While we’re at it, that centering system developed by Nakamichi (or a functional equivalent) should be included too. I mean for a $20,000 or $25,000 turntable, given what’s possible in their $1,600 version.
The paragraph below is from Fidelis Analog, (the one after is from me)
I must admit I'm not a fan of the aesthetics of the 10R. I'm not talking fit and finish here, rather the industrial design. We have square buttons on the motor unit, round buttons on the power supply, square edges on the motor chassis and plinth, round on the armboard, etc. The left-justification of the controls on the motor as opposed to center-aligned with each other doesn't make sense to me either. It's like three separate people who never spoke designed each piece. I don't get it.

Now, from me (EJ) For me, I have things going on that have my hands tied audio budget wise for probably 3 years (closing my business in Guam, bringing a car back from Guam and getting my wife here from Guam) but that doesn't stop me from looking. Although, without a vibration proof room (don't care enough to make that happen) I don't really see going beyond what the SL-M3 is capable of with a few mods. This is my ulimate SL-M3 plan (and then I am at my end game with this TT) From KAB the PS1200GXL replaces the switch mode power pak for a new high efficiency linear power transformer. This reduces the overall noise in the AC power system and reduces the stand by power to less than 0.21 Watt. It removes all sources of AC voltage from within the turntable and has the DC-1200 internal regulator (reducing a known noise source) and SX1200 Strobe (reducing another known noise source when you toggle it off) toggle switch. And some Isonoe System, a sophisticated silicone spring design that retains the ability to easily level the turntable
index.php

along with some Isonoe Sorbothane boots with aircraft quality 1/4" thick glass inserts. The glass inserts are frosted on one side to offer grip to the Isonoe footers ball bearing surfaces,
index.php

a thrust plate that is machined from Teflon filled Delrin-AF, KAB SuperFlex™ Litz tonearm wire. Each 34 gauge wire is made up of 40 strands of 50 gauge pure copper litz conductors enveloped in a very thin film of super flexible silicone and KAB SpiraAir Litz Interconnects with ETI Gold & Tellurium Copper Contacts. Plan Finished.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I’m having a random, off-topic side thought.
Piaget is exquisite in design and form. So here we have an individual with exquisite taste, and who was a strip club bouncer, which is a cool and macho role. How is it he calls himself nerd?

I don't wear a Piaget, but admire the workmanship.

I actually wear only tool-grade dive watches, ranging from 1000m-2000m Sinns made with submarine steel to vintage Seikos and reissues thereof.

Basically, stuff I can scuba in, will withstand my logging activities on my property, I can hunt in, and won't get banged up if I wear it while on the lifting platform.

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
How is it he calls himself nerd?

But as for calling myself a nerd....

I read comic books and am currently in the midst of binge-watching all 133 Star Wars Clone Wars episodes plus movie in correct chronological order.

If that's not nerdy, I don't know what is.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
The current production SL-1000R is within budget for me and something I've considered.

But the weight is an issue. At 40 kg / 88 lbs it would probably break the cheapie Ikea Kallax I use as LP storage / TT stand.
I had no idea that Technics was back in the high-end TT market <https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/technics-sl-1000r>. Low-mid, yes, but not £10k+ That thing looks huge though.

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Oysters are the mechanical watches for those who don't know much about watches. ;)

I prefer vintage Seiko dive watches.
Yeah I don't know much about mechanical watches, except that some are insanely expensive. I don't know much about steam engines, either....:cool:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Yeah I don't know much about mechanical watches, except that some are insanely expensive. I don't know much about steam engines, either....:cool:

Steam engines need a crew, though.

Although I have fancied a steam donkey to help me when logging the back acres.

cistercian

Forum Donor
Oysters are the mechanical watches for those who don't know much about watches. ;)

I prefer vintage Seiko dive watches.

Now I am triggered! I have an old Rolex I was given by my dad. A Datejust. It is cool...ultimately inaccurate though.
I have owned many Seikos (all quartz) and while great for the first 3 years or so ended up performing badly.
I am not interested in their mechanical offerings much. The GS is the only series they make I really crave.
So I bought a Citizen to wear. I can't read the small dial on the Rolex anymore and I crave accuracy so I bought a
Titanium case and bracelet Citizen with a Sapphire crystal with atomic radio sync time correction. At last...a ridiculously
accurate watch with a perpetual calendar and day/date as well as 24hr dial. It cost less than servicing the Rolex.
And it is solar powered too. The only other mechanical watches I own are pocket watches. One is key wound.
They are cool for dress occasions. I love how diving watches look but hate the weight. I will never have a submariner
or sea dweller because it is like wearing a brick to me.

I am glad giant dials are in fashion. My old eyes really prefer them!

PS. Sinns are really nice but I don't own any. Too many interests and not enough cash. I do have a old Girard Perregaux
automatic. 50's vintage. It needs serviced. It has a dial too small for my eyes too.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had no idea that Technics was back in the high-end TT market <https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/technics-sl-1000r>. Low-mid, yes, but not £10k+ That thing looks huge though.
There are two (with many configurations):
SL-1000R

Turntable section
Drive MethodDirect DriveMotorBrushless DC motorTurntable Speeds33 1/3, 45, 78 rpmAdjust Range±16 %Starting Torque0.39 N・m / 4.0 kg・cm (3.47 lb-in)Wow And Flutter0.015 % W.R.M.S.Turntable PlatterBrass and aluminium diecast combined
Diameter : 323 mm (12-23/32")
Weight : Approx. 7.9 kg (17.5 lbs) (including turntable mat)
Tonearm Section
TypeUniversal Static BalanceEffective LengthFrom the tonearm pivot to the stylus : 254mm (10")
From the tonearm pivot to the spindle : 239mm (9-13/32")Overhang15 mm (19/32 inch)Tracking Error AngleWithin 1° 48' (at the outer groove of 30 cm (12") record)
Within 0° 30' (at the inner groove of 30 cm (12") record)Offset Angle21°Arm Height Adjustment Range0 - 15 mmStylus Pressure Adjustment Range0 - 4 g (Direct Reading)Applicable Cartridge Weight Range (including Headshell)15.9 - 19.7 g (without auxiliary weight)
18.8 - 23.6 g (with small auxiliary weight)
22.5 - 26.3 g (with middle auxiliary weight)
26.0 - 31.0 g (with large auxiliary weight)
Terminals
Audio OutputPHONO (Din Jack) x 1 *Straight Type Cable Only
General
Power SupplyAC 110 - 240 V, 50 / 60 HzPower Consumption10 W
Approx. 0.05 W (Standby)Dimensions (W x H x D)Main Unit
531 x 188 x 399 mm (20-29/32 × 7-13/32 × 15-23/32 inch)
Control Unit
110 x 84 x 350 mm (4-11/32 × 3-5/16 × 13-25/32 inch)WeightMain Unit Approx. 40.2 kg (88.7 lbs)
Control Unit Approx. 2.1 kg (4.7 lbs)Operating Temperature Range0° to +40° (32°F to +104°F)Operating Humidity Range35 % to 80 % RH (no condensation)AccessoriesTurntable, Turntable mat, EP record adaptor, Balance weight, Auxiliary weight(Small)(Middle)(Large), Overhang gauge, Screw set for turntable, Detachable handle, Hex wrench, Insulator attachment, Dust cover, AC main leads, Owner's manual
1598330193337.png

1598330322584.png

SP-10R
Turntable section
Drive MethodDirect DriveMotorBrushless DC motorTurntable Speeds33 1/3, 45, 78 rpmAdjust Range±16 %Starting Torque0.39 N・m / 4.0 kg・cm (3.47 lb-in)Wow And Flutter0.015 % W.R.M.S.Turntable PlatterBrass and aluminium diecast combined
General
365 x 109 x 365 mm (14-3/8 × 4-5/16 × 14-3/8 inch)
Control Unit
110 x 84 x 350 mm (4-11/32 × 3-5/16 × 13-25/32 inch)WeightMain Unit Approx. 18.2 kg (40.2 lbs)
Control Unit Approx. 2.1 kg (4.7 lbs)Operating Temperature Range0° to +40° (32°F to +104°F)Operating Humidity Range35 % to 80 % RH (no condensation)AccessoriesTurntable, Turntable mat, EP record adaptor, Screw set for turntable, Detachable handle, Hex wrench, AC main lead, Owner's manual
1598330719425.png

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
There are two (with many configurations):
SL-1000R

Turntable section
Tonearm Section
TypeUniversal Static BalanceEffective LengthFrom the tonearm pivot to the stylus : 254mm (10")
From the tonearm pivot to the spindle : 239mm (9-13/32")Overhang15 mm (19/32 inch)Tracking Error AngleWithin 1° 48' (at the outer groove of 30 cm (12") record)
Within 0° 30' (at the inner groove of 30 cm (12") record)Offset Angle21°Arm Height Adjustment Range0 - 15 mmStylus Pressure Adjustment Range0 - 4 g (Direct Reading)Applicable Cartridge Weight Range (including Headshell)15.9 - 19.7 g (without auxiliary weight)
18.8 - 23.6 g (with small auxiliary weight)
22.5 - 26.3 g (with middle auxiliary weight)
26.0 - 31.0 g (with large auxiliary weight)
Terminals
Audio OutputPHONO (Din Jack) x 1 *Straight Type Cable Only
General
531 x 188 x 399 mm (20-29/32 × 7-13/32 × 15-23/32 inch)
Control Unit
110 x 84 x 350 mm (4-11/32 × 3-5/16 × 13-25/32 inch)WeightMain Unit Approx. 40.2 kg (88.7 lbs)
Control Unit Approx. 2.1 kg (4.7 lbs)Operating Temperature Range0° to +40° (32°F to +104°F)Operating Humidity Range35 % to 80 % RH (no condensation)AccessoriesTurntable, Turntable mat, EP record adaptor, Balance weight, Auxiliary weight(Small)(Middle)(Large), Overhang gauge, Screw set for turntable, Detachable handle, Hex wrench, Insulator attachment, Dust cover, AC main leads, Owner's manual
View attachment 79802
View attachment 79803
SP-10R
Turntable section
General
365 x 109 x 365 mm (14-3/8 × 4-5/16 × 14-3/8 inch)
Control Unit
110 x 84 x 350 mm (4-11/32 × 3-5/16 × 13-25/32 inch)WeightMain Unit Approx. 18.2 kg (40.2 lbs)
Control Unit Approx. 2.1 kg (4.7 lbs)Operating Temperature Range0° to +40° (32°F to +104°F)Operating Humidity Range35 % to 80 % RH (no condensation)AccessoriesTurntable, Turntable mat, EP record adaptor, Screw set for turntable, Detachable handle, Hex wrench, AC main lead, Owner's manual
View attachment 79804

All this to drag a rock through a ditch in a plastic disc stamped out by the thousand, with poor control of eccentricity and very poor dimensional stability... ;-)

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All this to drag a rock through a ditch in a plastic disc stamped out by the thousand, with poor control of eccentricity and very poor dimensional stability... ;-)
Yes, it's that which makes playing LPs so interesting.

Can you imagine a meeting to discuss the possibility of a consumer product to record music mechanically. The specification is that the grooves have to be so small such as to get at least 20 minutes on one side, with two channels, which means that for a dynamic range of 60dB and a frequency response to 20kHz, the variations have to be of the order of the wavelength of visible light, tracked by a cartridge which has to be able to be used by the public, sold at a price Joe Ordinary can afford and with records that can't cost more than a few cents to press.

Anyone would conclude it's pointless, and lets stick to digital, we understand that!

And yet, and yet......

S.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Yes, it's that which makes playing LPs so interesting.

Can you imagine a meeting to discuss the possibility of a consumer product to record music mechanically. The specification is that the grooves have to be so small such as to get at least 20 minutes on one side, with two channels, which means that for a dynamic range of 60dB and a frequency response to 20kHz, the variations have to be of the order of the wavelength of visible light, tracked by a cartridge which has to be able to be used by the public, sold at a price Joe Ordinary can afford and with records that can't cost more than a few cents to press.

Anyone would conclude it's pointless, and lets stick to digital, we understand that!

And yet, and yet......

S.
Only a madman would come up with something so obviously ludicrous! The "scanner" would need to be aligned in all dimensions with the accuracy needed to read those sub-micron signals without huge amounts of distortion. Only a laser device could do that, and would need to be recalibrated in a laboratory on a regular basis. The discs would need to be stored in a sealed unit with strict control of temperature and humidity, and no possibility of contamination by airborne particles. It would never be a realistic proposition!

Top Bottom