• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge Audio Solo Phono Preamplifier Review

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The best argument is that it allows you to run the MC balanced.

I've never heard that one.

Nor have I seen many (any?)* SUTs with XLR inputs.

Or is it balanced via RCA?

My SME tonearm cable has perpetually confused me with RCA connectors on both ends, but 2 grounding wires -- one for a balanced, and other for an unbalanced connection.

[The $4699 AT-SUT1000 has both RCA and XLR inputs. But...damn....$4.7k for a SUT!]

1549899100_IMG_1137706.jpg

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I've never heard that one.

Nor have I seen many (any?) SUTs with XLR inputs.

Or is it balanced via RCA?

My SME tonearm cable has perpetually confused me with RCA connectors on both ends, but 2 grounding wires -- one for a balanced, and other for an unbalanced connection.

I use micro XLR connectors and balanced low noise microphone cable. Here's a writeup on my MC preamp using balanced input SUT.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Holy crap that's long.

I understand there's medications available for ADD. :cool: And in all seriousness, I intend my design and construction articles to be teaching tools, not just "here's some boards and a parts list, go build it." I've done a much prettier build since then using the REAM micro XLRs and Jack Walton's circuit boards, and actually ran it through some AP measurements. Ten years ago when this was written, the AP Angels had not yet smiled upon me.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I understand there's medications available for ADD. :cool: And in all seriousness, I intend my design and construction articles to be teaching tools, not just "here's some boards and a parts list, go build it." I've done a much prettier build since then using the REAM micro XLRs and Jack Walton's circuit boards, and actually ran it through some AP measurements. Ten years ago when this was written, the AP Angels had not yet smiled upon me.

9,921 words 57,613 characters

Basically, 20 pages. ;)

I'll have set aside time at bedtime to read it. ;)

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine is one of these, although with a different arm (I use an SME M2-9R):

maxresdefault.jpg

The newer Technics decks would have better wow, flutter, and speed consistency specs (although maybe not much of an audible difference given imperfections in LP manufacture), but as an art object, I can't really part with the Michell.
Beautiful!!! Sadly would not go with my decor, but this does:
1598126430469.png

Specifications
Type: fully automatic
Drive method: direct drive
Motor: brushless DC motor
Drive control method: quartz phase locked control
Platter: 325mm, 2.5kg, aluminium die-cast
Pitch control: +-6% range
Speeds: 33 and 45rpm
Wow and flutter: 0.022% WRMS
Rumble: -82dB
Tonearm: dynamically-balanced linear tracking
Effective length: 238mm
Effective mass: 13g (including cartridge)
Cartridge: moving magnet
Replacement stylus: EPS-33ES
Dimensions: 526 x 205 x 425mm
Weight: 15kg
Downloads

Tom C

Major Contributor
Beautiful!!! Sadly would not go with my decor, but this does:View attachment 79351
Specifications
Type: fully automatic
Drive method: direct drive
Motor: brushless DC motor
Drive control method: quartz phase locked control
Platter: 325mm, 2.5kg, aluminium die-cast
Pitch control: +-6% range
Speeds: 33 and 45rpm
Wow and flutter: 0.022% WRMS
Rumble: -82dB
Tonearm: dynamically-balanced linear tracking
Effective length: 238mm
Effective mass: 13g (including cartridge)
Cartridge: moving magnet
Replacement stylus: EPS-33ES
Dimensions: 526 x 205 x 425mm
Weight: 15kg
Downloads
Where do I get one?

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Time machine
Mine came from an estate sale in Germany. Outside of Japan they were mostly sold at U.S. Base PX's. Mine has the voltage selector on it which seems to be more rare than ones for a particular voltage. They do pop up for sale 2 or 3 times a year on the various audio sale sites. Due to rarity, they don't pop up often. Servicing is as difficult to find as the units are. And the factory service manual presumes that you are a high end Technics Tech (finding out how to adjust the tracking force for the T4P was difficult)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Mine came from an estate sale in Germany. Outside of Japan they were mostly sold at U.S. Base PX's. Mine has the voltage selector on it which seems to be more rare than ones for a particular voltage. They do pop up for sale 2 or 3 times a year on the various audio sale sites. Due to rarity, they don't pop up often. Servicing is as difficult to find as the units are. And the factory service manual presumes that you are a high end Technics Tech (finding out how to adjust the tracking force for the T4P was difficult)

What kind of cartridge do you have to use on that weird arm?

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What kind of cartridge do you have to use on that weird arm?
Any T4P (P-Mount) will physically fit but some have different than the Technics T4P cartridge weight specification. The weight adjustment is pretty limited (+-0.5 gram). The arm is titanium. The original cartridge is the Technics EPS-33ES. It is easier to find in Germany (I found a NOS one) for under $150 including shipping to James Island, SC USA) because an incorrect (but great sounding) Technics P-30 was on it. I also use the SHURE V15 LT (NOS) & the SHURE V15 VP (NOS [my favorite]). These all also have various JICO SAS styli available. (some of which I have) The SL-M1 & M2 had non-linear tracking tone arms that can use conventional cartridges but were otherwise the same specifications. People that have any of these almost TOTL (one step down) TT's tend to keep them. Yes, there is a better Technics TT but it will likely run you an additional $10K from these to get one. They are even much more rare. And seriously hoarded by the few that have them.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any T4P (P-Mount) will physically fit but some have different than the Technics T4P cartridge weight specification. The weight adjustment is pretty limited (+-0.5 gram). The arm is titanium. The original cartridge is the Technics EPS-33ES. It is easier to find in Germany (I found a NOS one) for under $150 including shipping to James Island, SC USA) because an incorrect (but great sounding) Technics P-30 was on it. I also use the SHURE V15 LT (NOS) & the SHURE V15 VP (NOS [my favorite]). These all also have various JICO SAS styli available. (some of which I have) The SL-M1 & M2 had non-linear tracking tone arms that can use conventional cartridges but were otherwise the same specifications. People that have any of these almost TOTL (one step down) TT's tend to keep them. Yes, there is a better Technics TT but it will likely run you an additional $10K from these to get one. They are even much more rare. And seriously hoarded by the few that have them.
I was wrong, the M1 & M2 could be converted to the STD cartridge but came as T4P mounts:
1598161868703.png

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Huh....

A couple of these on eBay for fairly cheap prices.
If you are looking for an M-3 make sure that it goes through all of it's paces. 1984-88 computer servo controlled M-3 (linear tracking model) is not common for a tech to know. The M-1, M-2 & M-3 may have arm lift issues. On the M-3 the belt that drives the linear tracking arm is still available new (this isn't the only thing it fits). They are based on the SL-1200's and some things are interchangeable. COSMETICS is an issue unto it self. If you get one: KAB (https://www.kabusa.com/m1200.htm) is a good source for the interchangeable parts. Another source possibility is Fidelis Analog (https://fidelisanalog.com/), who's normal operations involve the TOTL SP-10MKII/MK2A, SP-10MK3, SP-10R & SP-1000R TT's. For units in the EU, both CURRENT (if you have $10K or more for a NEW Technics TT, these are them) production SP-10R and SL-1000R, come with wood flight cases.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
If you are looking for an M-3 make sure that it goes through all of it's paces. 1984-88 computer servo controlled M-3 (linear tracking model) is not common for a tech to know. The M-1, M-2 & M-3 may have arm lift issues. On the M-3 the belt that drives the linear tracking arm is still available new (this isn't the only thing it fits). They are based on the SL-1200's and some things are interchangeable. COSMETICS is an issue unto it self. If you get one: KAB (https://www.kabusa.com/m1200.htm) is a good source for the interchangeable parts. Another source possibility is Fidelis Analog (https://fidelisanalog.com/), who's normal operations involve the TOTL SP-10MKII/MK2A, SP-10MK3, SP-10R & SP-1000R TT's. For units in the EU, both CURRENT (if you have $10K or more for a NEW Technics TT, these are them) production SP-10R and SL-1000R, come with wood flight cases.

The current production SL-1000R is within budget for me and something I've considered.

But the weight is an issue. At 40 kg / 88 lbs it would probably break the cheapie Ikea Kallax I use as LP storage / TT stand.

Reactions: EJ3

Tom C

Major Contributor
When I got the GR, I was deciding between it and the G. I could get the GR x 2, plus a TOTL AT cartridge for the same money as the G alone...
The G has basically the identical design with parts and materials upgrade. Added platter weight by applying a brass layer, tonearm’s made of magnesium instead of aluminum, higher grade bearings, and such. But can you hear it? I haven’t heard a G, but I’m thinking no. 1000R and its sibling is more of the same (piled higher and deeper), and even has the same arm. I appreciate a thing of physical beauty, but it just chaps my hide to pay so much more for questionable performance benefit. Guess that’s why I hang out at ASR. Personally I would be much more persuaded if they had upgraded the tonearm to a 12-inch model, or better still, a linear tracker, rather than “improve” an already outstanding drive and platform system. And how about vacuum hold down? It can’t be that hard, and certainly not beyond their capacities. While we’re at it, that centering system developed by Nakamichi (or a functional equivalent) should be included too. I mean for a $20,000 or $25,000 turntable, given what’s possible in their $1,600 version.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I appreciate a thing of physical beauty.

That's why I would buy it.

Then again, I have a Michell Gyro SE as my TT and wear mechanical watches.

So I think that says something about my priorities.

If I want perfect performance, I listen to digital.

I hear you on the 12" arm, though. Given the plinth size, it seems a waste not to.

Top Bottom