• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge Audio is (also) moving to Ncore...

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cambridge Audio just announced their new Evo line, that should fill the gap between CX and Edge ranges (851 being 9 years old by 2021):
cambridge-audio-evo-lifestyle.jpg
cambridge-audio-evo-left-album.jpg
Cambridge_Audio_Evo_Left_High_3-4_StreamMagic_02-2.jpg
960x0.jpg

They somehow take a shot at NAD, since both Evo 75 and Evo 150 amps are all-integrated units: amp, DAC, and streamer. I have to admit I love their industrial design, BTW.

Now, why this news deserves a thread: these are based on Ncore modules. Yes, again. This is now the fourth big manufacturer that adopt Ncore, next to NAD, Marantz and TEAC (not to mention others using IcePower for years)...
IMHO, this looks like a very significant phenomenon about the market metamorphosis.

Is Class AB going to "disappear" from mass market 15-20 years from now? I'm really wondering...

PS: looking at the specs, my guess is NC122MP inside the Evo 75 and NC252 for the Evo 150.;)

Last edited:

ta240

Major Contributor
Cambridge Audio just announced their new Evo line, that should fill the gap between CX and Edge ranges (the 851 being 9 years old by 2021):View attachment 122650View attachment 122651View attachment 122652View attachment 122653
They kind of take a shot at NAD, since both Evo 75 and Evo 150 amps are all-integrated units: amp, DAC, and streamer. I have to admit I love their industrial design, BTW.

Now, why this news deserves a thread: these are based on Ncore modules. Yes, again. This is now the fourth big manufacturer that adopt Ncore, next to NAD, Marantz and TEAC (not to mention others using IcePower for years)...
IMHO, this looks like a very significant phenomenon about the market metamorphosis.

Is Class AB going to "disappear" from mass market 15-20 years from now? I'm really wondering...

PS: looking at the specs, my guess is NC122MP inside the Evo 75 and NC252 for the Evo 150.;)

Eventually AB will be a boutique only thing like class A is now

hyfynut

Cambridge Audio just announced their new Evo line, that should fill the gap between CX and Edge ranges (the 851 being 9 years old by 2021):View attachment 122650View attachment 122651View attachment 122652View attachment 122653
They kind of take a shot at NAD, since both Evo 75 and Evo 150 amps are all-integrated units: amp, DAC, and streamer. I have to admit I love their industrial design, BTW.

Damn, those 2 pieces in the top pic are very nice looking.

ebslo

Forum Donor
No mention of DSP, room correction, or bass management. No direct input to the power stage so external DSP can't be looped in. I like to see high quality amp modules being used in more products, but this would sound bad in my room no matter what amp they use.

TimF

Forum Donor
I don't consider the design to be industrial design but more akin to the B&O Scandinavian look. Or maybe something like Scottish modernism such as Linn. Definitely not post-modern. The wood trim is odd these days.

rgdawsonco

This looks very interesting, thanks for posting. Fits my taste and needs nicely. Might be exactly what I am looking for. What is that piece of tape looking stuff, though? And what does that Ground Switch do?

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
TV HDMI ARC, spotify connect etc , a BIG-ASS volume knob? This is aimed squarely at the Naim uniti Atom and NAD M10. This will be a strong contender.

US Pricing;
Naim Atom - $3,290.00
NAD M10 - $2,800.00
Cambridge EVO - 150 - $3000, 75 - $ 2250.00

These "Smart" integrated amps are long overdue and awesome IMO

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cambridge Audio just announced their new Evo line, that should fill the gap between CX and Edge ranges (851 being 9 years old by 2021):View attachment 122650View attachment 122651View attachment 122652View attachment 122677
They somehow take a shot at NAD, since both Evo 75 and Evo 150 amps are all-integrated units: amp, DAC, and streamer. I have to admit I love their industrial design, BTW.

Agree-really like the design of these integrateds.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Eventually AB will be a boutique only thing like class A is now
I have to agree, although it makes me a bit sad since I enjoy the hardware aspect of this hobby when the hardware is interesting in itself. The trend in hifi is going more and more the 'appliance' route - its kind of hard to get all that excited over a what is in essence a new microwave oven.

Darkscience

I have to agree, although it makes me a bit sad since I enjoy the hardware aspect of this hobby when the hardware is interesting in itself. The trend in hifi is going more and more the 'appliance' route - its kind of hard to get all that excited over a what is in essence a new microwave oven.

Can you explain what is less interesting to you about this hardware vs other hardware? Is it the fact that it is all integrated into one unit? What do you mean by appliance route? Thanks!

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Can you explain what is less interesting to you about this hardware vs other hardware? Is it the fact that it is all integrated into one unit? What do you mean by appliance route? Thanks!
This:

Decware.jpg

Verses This:

Arcam.jpg

Which might as well be this:

Toaster.jpg

If you don't get it, you're too young. ;)

Koeitje

Major Contributor
That is a pretty machine. I like sub-out, hopefully also has a high-pass filter for the speakers.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very nice! I wonder why they didn't go straight for Purifi modules - lower power output?

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
hopefully also has a high-pass filter for the speakers.

This is so rare in hi-fi, unfortunately. This is why I will need to stick with my little minidsp + dedicated "appliance-looking" amps :(

Top Bottom