• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge Audio is (also) moving to Ncore...

p370

I have heard that the basic Dirac does a lot because it’s at the frequencies most commonly affect by the room. Also it doesn’t seem the EVO is stable with 4ohm speakers
Guess CA wanted to pay you them because it's CA sound rather than pay Dirac for the license. I'm tempted to get a measuring microphone to "profile" my room, to see how biased I am as I consider the sound to be pretty OK. But it may be that I've never heard anything better. And maybe I want to stay in my happy place :p

Regarding the stability when driving 4 ohm speakers, I think I may have experienced one freeze due overheating when I placed the DAC and AMP I was comparing it with on the EVO. My speakers are 6 ohm.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Assuming low noise, this would be SINAD 94, in line with the NCore NC252MP module.
It is indeed a NC252.

2021-04-30-TST-Cambridge-EVO-150-in-2.jpg

2021-04-30-TST-Cambridge-EVO-150-in-3.jpg
2021-04-30-TST-Cambridge-EVO-150-in-9.jpg

Measurements are not from them but from Stereo DE.

Last edited:

MacP

I have Evo 150 - looks nice, but has a VERY weak preamp section. My loudspeakers (ScanSonic) are 5 Ohm/89 db, and some subtle classical tracks must be played 100/100! With a mighty Class D amp? A joke... :/ I also had a stand-alone similar Hypex power amp, and with a proper pre it could drive any speakers.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also had a stand-alone similar Hypex power amp, and with a proper pre it could drive any speakers.
Which module exactly?
I have Evo 150 - looks nice, but has a VERY weak preamp section. My loudspeakers (ScanSonic) are 5 Ohm/89 db, and some subtle classical tracks must be played 100/100!
Seems weird. Measurements of Evo 150, by both Stereo DE and Audio PL, show power abilities to be right on par with NC252MP specifications at <1% THD. And there is no way they could have bypass the preamp section during their tests. Perhaps your unit is defective...

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The problem with integrated streamer and amplifier is longevity. A well made Power Amp could last 10 to 20 years. How long will the software and CPU last? Will the manufacturer support it in a few years? I can the response from support now:

"Surprisingly we do have a new version of the software that supports the latest DSD4096 but the MKII version you own does not have enough memory; and it won't even run on the original MKI. How old is it? 5 years eh. That's a long time in computer years. Pity, the power amp module is a really good unit."

I would rather have the streamer/DAC component as a separate and relatively cheap unit.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
The problem with integrated streamer and amplifier is longevity. A well made Power Amp could last 10 to 20 years. How long will the software and CPU last? Will the manufacturer support it in a few years? I can the response from support now:

"Surprisingly we do have a new version of the software that supports the latest DSD4096 but the MKII version you own does not have enough memory; and it won't even run on the original MKI. How old is it? 5 years eh. That's a long time in computer years. Pity, the power amp module is a really good unit."

I would rather have the streamer/DAC component as a separate and relatively cheap unit.

This is the reason I went with Cambridge Cxa81 + CXN V2 instead.

Could have gotten a hypex power amp but I had a Yamaha class D amp with 105 watt into 4 ohm and I was always at 100% volume while watching movies.

The Cxa81 has 120 watt into 4 ohm and the Yamaha didn't even get close to 50% of the Cambridges performance.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I have a cambridge streamer (StreamMagic 6 v2) now at least 8 years old, it runs software updates and works well.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I have a cambridge streamer (StreamMagic 6 v2) now at least 8 years old, it runs software updates and works well.

Really wish Cambridge would release a small steaming box like the bluesound node.

Really like my cxn V2 but for a headphone bedroom setup I would like something small.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Really wish Cambridge would release a small steaming box like the bluesound node.

Really like my cxn V2 but for a headphone bedroom setup I would like something small.
Yeah, they seem wedded to rack-size

Mauiboy

Mauiboy

Remove the amp section completely, add proper room EQ and balanced pre and slice the price by 1000. Would sell like mad o_O
You're describing the CXNv2. Balanced outputs, all the same Stream Magic inputs (including Roon Ready multipoint parametric equalization, DLNA, Qobuz, Tidal, AirPlay2, Chromecast, low-res Internet radio, and Bluetooth if you add a separate dongle), but without analog inputs. Nice screen and heavy, damped aluminum volume/setting knob. US$1,100, so $2k less than the EVO (and without analog or the amp).

I've been called mad, and I bought one. :rolleyes:

Not a straight-forward comparison as the CXN uses the Wolfson DACs (same as chip used in the award winning 815N, though in a different configuration) and the EVO uses a newer ESS DAC (but not the 9038). The CXN stack will sound different to the EVO, of that I'm sure. I expect they are both excellent in their own ways. I'm trying not to own both at the same time to compare.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You're describing the CXNv2. Balanced outputs, all the same Stream Magic inputs (including Roon Ready multipoint parametric equalization, DLNA, Qobuz, Tidal, AirPlay2, Chromecast, low-res Internet radio, and Bluetooth if you add a separate dongle), but without analog inputs. Nice screen and heavy, damped aluminum volume/setting knob. US$1,100, so $2k less than the EVO (and without analog or the amp).

Not a straight-forward comparison as the CXN uses the Wolfson DACs (same as chip used in the award winning 815N, though in a different configuration) and the EVO uses a newer ESS DAC (but not the 9038). The CXN stack will sound different to the EVO, of that I'm sure. I expect they are both excellent in their own ways. I'm trying not to own both at the same time to compare.
To be clear, CA streamers are Chromecast-compatible (without a dongle), which is particularly unusual.

Mauiboy

I'm challenged that the CXA81 does not have a phono input. I'd like to plug in my Denon turntable, which does not have an RIAA compensated line out. And if I have to buy a phono preamp separately (or a new TT with in-built preamp) that's more cost. The EVO 150/75 has MM phono input. The CX turns into quite a tall stack, to get to the same level of input/output support as the single unit EVO.

CrustyToad

Forum Donor

Well the CXN lacks a major part of what I described as ideal (to each their own I guess) : proper DSP/EQ automated on-board.
A streamer is much more common and there are plenty of good options, starting with a raspberry pi for very little money.

My point was if you can have a pre-amp, streamer, DAC and DSP/EQ (basically everything but the power amp) in a SOTA implementation and a nice enclosure that does not cost more than a decent AVR you have a winner. No such thing below the miniDSP options for 1200+

Mauiboy

I think you make a good point. Even if ignoring the lack of analog inputs, the CXN misses on configurable DSP/EQ onboard (though it does have on-board DSP capabilities, upsampling all digital inputs to 384KHz and supports digital volume, there is no EQ function, not even basic tone controls). Given it is trying to be the "separates" answer to streaming, within the CX ecosystem, that's significant.

I'm using Roon (core is running on my iMac) with the CXN and use the multipoint parametric EQ within Roon. I've only added a couple of control points, a low shelf and midpoint correction, and it's a noticeable improvement in my setup. With this capability in Roon, I don't miss it in the CXN, but I admit that upstream correction isn't always the best answer.

I still struggle with the tradeoff: a pretty tall stack of separates or an integrated unit. I just spotted this review from Audio Advice, folks that sell gear so have their own reasons for reviewing kit. But it's another input. This review specifically compares the CX stack vs. the EVO options. It's a bit shallow, as reviews go, but some good points made. They have linked written reviews in the comments section under the video. I haven't read through those yet.

Last edited:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I never missed a EQ/DSP in the cxn V2. Everything sounds good if the recording is decent.

The feature I never even considered when I bought the Cxn V2 is airplay. Works like a charm with my apple TV 4k for movies.

Same for the XLR and RCA outs.. I use one for my headphone amp while I watch TV and my wife does something with her iPad. Or we use the RCA out if we watch a movie together.

Oh and the USB support for UAC 1 and 2.
The ps5 is connected with usb to the Cxn V2.

No need for hdmi eARC or digital out from the TV.

If Cambridge made a smaller version of the Cxn V2 I would buy second one for my bedroom.

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In my bedroom:

Cambridge EVO 75; SVS Micro 3000; KEF R3

Measured with crude iPhone apps Okay after adjusting sub with own app on phone.

I enjoy it... just works easily from my iPad with Tidal for music and HDMI for over the air tv and video streaming Netflix etc. Easy is good, since I am unfortunately partially ambulatory disabled.

Top Bottom