• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge Audio is (also) moving to Ncore...

TankTop

No, it's LCD. Actually in case of full color OLED I'd be afraid of burn-ins and display degradation.
OLED burn in is highly exaggerated but can occur in large TV’s if you’re not careful. I’m not sure what the difference between large and small displays but lots of cars use OLED for the driver information center formerly known as the instrument cluster. These do have issues but I’ve never heard of a complaint of screen burn in or read a TSB (technical service bulletin) discussing that issue.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My old Samsung Samsung OLED screen had visible burn in after 1 year. My newer S10+ doesn't so far.

TankTop

No Room correction. Arcam SA30 and NAD M10 have it at this price level. I've never had a device with it, so I can't say how much it would change in my room.
- No dynamic loudness or EQ.
I can understand not having room correction, simply marketing to their base that have done without it for so long. No EQ or loudness, does it at least have bass and treble adjustments?

p370

I can understand not having room correction, simply marketing to their base that have done without it for so long. No EQ or loudness, does it at least have bass and treble adjustments?
None at the moment, but I've asked about this and I've been told:
"In regards to features that you'd like to see included within future updates for the Evo, I can confirm that we will be adding various equalisation options to the Evo in the coming weeks/months that should help ensuring it sounds well balanced within your room acoustically. However, after extensive listening tests with room correction we decided that this added nothing more than you can get from good EQ settings."

fcracer

Forum Donor
None at the moment, but I've asked about this and I've been told:
"In regards to features that you'd like to see included within future updates for the Evo, I can confirm that we will be adding various equalisation options to the Evo in the coming weeks/months that should help ensuring it sounds well balanced within your room acoustically. However, after extensive listening tests with room correction we decided that this added nothing more than you can get from good EQ settings."

That's disappointing. Compared to measuring and setting an EQ manually, Dirac Live is so much easier and the outcome sounds better. CA is so close on this one. I hope they'll reconsider on the room correction. If it had room correction, I would have gotten the EVO150 instead of the NAD M33. I love the wood panels on the CA EVO150!

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not tv-smartphones. Since we're talking about small OLED screens and burn in.
Ok. You mean their "Super AMOLED+"! ;)

I know a couple of Uber Drivers. Since they use Google Maps/Waze with their Samsung, on-screen all day long: all showed permanent burn-in after few months...

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Out of curiosity what's the difference between the C9 screen I have and my smartphone screen?

p370

Out of curiosity what's the difference between the C9 screen I have and my smartphone screen?
OLED in mobile phones (at least those I'm aware of) uses separate red and green and blue emitters (RGB OLED) and those are organized in various patterns that make up "pixels" (sometimes some subpixels/emitters are shared between "pixels") and TVs use WRGB (each pixel is a stack of white, red, green and blue emitter with a filter in front of the stack). WRGB is cheaper to make and each pixel degrades the same way in comparison to RGB OLED. Samsung experimented with RGB OLED TVs, but the costs to make those panels at TV size is too high, so they left the market to LG with their WRGB OLED screens.

That's disappointing. Compared to measuring and setting an EQ manually, Dirac Live is so much easier and the outcome sounds better. CA is so close on this one. I hope they'll reconsider on the room correction. If it had room correction, I would have gotten the EVO150 instead of the NAD M33. I love the wood panels on the CA EVO150!
How do you like the M33/what speakers are you driving with it?

p370

I was also looking at M33 but it costs more twice as much as EVO 150. And you have to pay additional money to get the "full spectrum" Dirac Live (it only has Limited Edition bundled). And it doesn't have USB audio in, for me that was really high on the priority list (the MDC USB DSD is another 500 EUR).

TchErNoB

Is there any ht bypass? Sometimes it's a software option and not told in reviews (like for the unity)

p370

Is there any ht bypass? Sometimes it's a software option and not told in reviews (like for the unity)
No at the moment. But I guess it should be easy to do with a software update. I've already sent a suggestion to have volume per input remember as the Nvidia Shield I connect to the USB in has stupid USB Audio implementation and the volume is much lower than from other sources.

I was also looking at M33 but it costs more twice as much as EVO 150. And you have to pay additional money to get the "full spectrum" Dirac Live (it only has Limited Edition bundled). And it doesn't have USB audio in, for me that was really high on the priority list (the MDC USB DSD is another 500 EUR).
I have heard that the basic Dirac does a lot because it’s at the frequencies most commonly affect by the room. Also it doesn’t seem the EVO is stable with 4ohm speakers

Top Bottom