• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge Audio Edge A's measurements are good enough?

veeceem

https://www.stereophile.com/content/cambridge-audio-edge-integrated-amplifier-measurements
The title says it all. I'm having my eyes on this intergrated amp but have no knowledge to know if the measurements are good enough to stay in the "neutral zone", based on ASR's standards.
Short answers should be enough :p if it's not that good or there are ones with better performances . I'll just pass on this one.
(feel free to give other recommendations of intergrated amps if this one is bad or soso)
Thanks!

Willem

Major Contributor
Yes but it is expensive for not that much power. An RME ADI-2 plus a high power Hypex NCore power amplifier will cost half, have more power and will probably measure even better, even though you will not hear that difference. More power will be audible with inefficient speakers and/or a bigger room.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
OP
V

veeceem

Benchmark DAC3 HGC with Benchmark AHB2 Amp for the same price and you get tops in measurement though the difference won’t be audible.
Price will be nearly doubled if shipped here. But most important factor: risk of not getting thru customs is super high :) believe me, I tried to figure out a way to buy this combo, I just cant find a way to get thru customs :)

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the Edge NQ. I’d like to have Amir measure it, although it is a beast to send anywhere. Nice features, great streaming software (Chromecast built-in) excellent build quality, nice app.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It has interesting cross-over type behaviour just prior to the zero-cross point in the distortion residual.

1570933700120.png

1570933914410.png

OP
V

veeceem

Yes but it is expensive for not that much power. An RME ADI-2 plus a high power Hypex NCore power amplifier will cost half, have more power and will probably measure even better, even though you will not hear that difference. More power will be audible with inefficient speakers and/or a bigger room.
So RME ADI-2 can be used as pre-amp for any Hypex Ncore pow-amp?

Willem

Major Contributor
Why not? As long as you do not need analogue inputs. I use one with my Quad 606-2 through rca, but the ADI-2 also has balanced output. Its auto reference level setting ensures excellent gain matching but I do not think there is an issue anyway.

OP
V

veeceem

Why not? As long as you do not need analogue inputs. I use one with my Quad 606-2 through rca, but the ADI-2 also has balanced output. Its auto reference level setting ensures excellent gain matching but I do not think there is an issue anyway.
Sabaj D5 can also be used as pre-amp with good result? This one seems like the only option available in my country :|

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are genuinely interested in one of these then you aren't shopping for bargain basement performance. The measured performance looks excellent, I like the style and I suspect it is very nicely made. So if you like it and can afford it then I see no reason not to buy. If, however, you are primarily seeking SQ and want good value and aren't too worried about style then you can get something with equivalent audible performance for a lot less. Personally I like this.

OP
V

veeceem

If you are genuinely interested in one of these then you aren't shopping for bargain basement performance. The measured performance looks excellent, I like the style and I suspect it is very nicely made. So if you like it and can afford it then I see no reason not to buy. If, however, you are primarily seeking SQ and want good value and aren't too worried about style then you can get something with equivalent audible performance for a lot less. Personally I like this.
You're right. I'll be auditioning CA Edge A with B&W 804 D3 this Thursday. Hope it yields good result :)
Btw, I just found another site with its measurements, turns out the intergrated DAC is also very good (thou I dont really understand the numbers lol). I plan to use the usb input to see how it's like.

https://www.hifinews.com/content/cambridge-audio-edge-integrated-ampdac-lab-report

OP
V

veeceem

So I auditioned a combo of:
Cambridge Audio NQ Preamp
Cambridge Audio W Power Amp (x2 mono mode)
B&W 803 D3 and 802
Source: tested with computer -> Qutest and its internal DAC with usb
No clue why, but bass is not there at all.

-------
Then tried the Athem STR preamp + amp and bass is there.
Overall I am not impressed by today's audition.
(I think its because of those b&w speakers, I wish I could hear the Cambridge Audio gears with Tannoy Kensington GR to decide)
------
Btw, if you are interested, I went to another shop which has Tannoy Kensington GR.
Pair them with 3 intergrated amps, source is Luxman 06 CD:
- Accuphase 650: ew, stop listening after less than 1 min.
- Luxman 590 mk2: sound beautiful but (lifeless?)
- Cary 300.2d: blown away, they're like a perfect match. Incredible. But when I searched for its measurements, they seem pretty bad? Would be awesome if someone could tell me.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/cary-audio-si-3002d-integrated-amplifier-measurements

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bingo, that’s what I have!

Daverz

Major Contributor
Sabaj D5 can also be used as pre-amp with good result? This one seems like the only option available in my country :|

Or one of the Topping balanced DACs (assuming you'll be using balanced connections).

I don't know why the B&W's would have sounded lean with that amp. They have never been hard to drive speakers. I always thought the tweeter called attention to itself too much in those models (intentional, I'm sure). Maybe that affects the overall balance.

Last edited:

redboat77

Are you running this? Would appreciate your comments. Does the RME ADI-2 work well as a pre-amp from a functional standpoint? I'm aware of Amirm's measurements of it as a superb DAC.

Top Bottom