• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M - review/comparison?

Sg86

Hi, just wondering if anyone can let me know from specs if this is likely to be better than something like the SMSL M400?

I'm sure someone here will review this unit properly when it's release, but I've got my custom Purifi 5chan amp from Apollon turning up in a week and I want to decide on DAC to pair with it, and this is cheaper than the M400 I already have upstairs!

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You might want to specify what features you need with a DAC, as there are $100 units that are easily considered to be noise and distortion free within the range of human hearing.

OP
S

Sg86

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Cambridge doesn't use measurements, which is a huge strike against them. But in terms of streaming functionality, I find their streamer/DACs excellent - full Roon integration, Chromecast support, airplay support, seamless switching between them. Really top notch.

OP
S

Sg86

Cambridge doesn't use measurements, which is a huge strike against them. But in terms of streaming functionality, I find their streamer/DACs excellent - full Roon integration, Chromecast support, airplay support, seamless switching between them. Really top notch.

I was going to connect an Intel NUC to this/M400 via USB, NUC has Roon bridge on it.

If this 200M has Roon bridge software on it then no brainer for me, didn't think that was the case though?

Aldoszx

I don't think will have any software in it. I t is only a DAC, an improvement over the respectable DacMagic Plus.
They changed the DAC chip inside from Wolfson 8740 to ESS 9028Q2M
Maybe we'll see some measurements sometimes.

murraycamp

Forum Donor
I don't care about what you think about MQA, that isn't why I created the thread.

Take you feelings about a technology elsewhere, and don't comment if you have no advice on the hardware.
Nice way to encourage input. Best of luck.,

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't care about what you think about MQA, that isn't why I created the thread.

Take you feelings about a technology elsewhere, and don't comment if you have no advice on the hardware.

Don't be an ass. I was trying to help by asking you what features you needed, and then offering the reason why I couldn't help with that feature. And I don't know what you know about MQA. A lot of people don't know about why they might not want to care about it.

How about if you don't like the free advice you are getting, you either (a) ignore it or (b) hire a consultant who is paid to deal with your attitude?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

No need for that.
You can dial it back please.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was going to connect an Intel NUC to this/M400 via USB, NUC has Roon bridge on it.

If this 200M has Roon bridge software on it then no brainer for me, didn't think that was the case though?

no, I think the Cxn is the least expensive one with the streaming software.

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning

What do you base that on? The few of their products Amir has reviewed have shown to meet or exceed their listed specs.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you base that on? The few of their products Amir has reviewed have shown to meet or exceed their listed specs.

Fair - they have published Frequency response, S/N, crosstalk. I don't think I've seen the Cambridge reviews here. I've been a bit turned off by the opacity on what sort of DAC is running in the Edge NQ, and that they claim to have "tuned" the whole Edge line by ear. I own one (NQ) btw. They offered it to me at a decent discount with a service return of my prior Cambridge DAC,back when it first came out.

The only thing I could get out of them - via direct email contact - was "we can confirm it is a NOS DAC".

It's nice DAC with great streaming and balanced outputs. Probably not worth a dime more than the CXN tho.

btw- https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...bridge-audio-dac-streamer-measurements.19519/

Jazz1

I'd love to see a comparison between the 200M and the Schiit Asgard. I've got the Asgard on order, but it has been over a month with no shipping or ship date in sight. Then again, the 200M isn't shipping either:confused:

OP
S

Sg86

This arrived today, no manual only, no way to know how to change from fixed to variable volume.

Finally got a link to an awful manual sent via email, with no information on knowing where the volume starts and no visual indication?

Do they want me to blow my speakers or something? Anyone here with one of these know how to tell what volume is set at??

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This arrived today, no manual only, no way to know how to change from fixed to variable volume.

Finally got a link to an awful manual sent via email, with no information on knowing where the volume starts and no visual indication?

Do they want me to blow my speakers or something? Anyone here with one of these know how to tell what volume is set at??

Page 14 of the manual explains about changing the outputs from fixed to preamp out.

https://techsupport.cambridgeaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/200926882-DacMagic-Plus-Manual

You should also read page 17 about the volume control.

Last edited:
Top Bottom