• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M - New model!

Sg86

Does sound good though, what a shame they've missed out such simple functionality ?

Sg86

Also no indication of MQA level ie blue/green/purple etc

What a useless MQA DAC this really is. Hope my feedback save people some time.

Walrusy

Mine arrived today, replacing a 10 year old QED Uplay plus. It's a massive, massive upgrade that makes me sad I've not replaced the QED earlier. Balance is so much better and detail improved too. I'm currently running this through a Linn Pre/Power combo and Epos ES30 speakers and it sounds better than the Cambridge Audio Diskmagic and Dacmagic I used to have. If I get time at the weekend I'll bypass the Linn Pre and see how it sounds. Everything that SG86 says is correct (no remote, etc.) but for me none of these are issues.

MBWORLDZ

Mine arrived few days ago, I was testing the unit for the whole weekend and found one problem about this DACmagic 200M, if you use it as an external DAC. I noticed that MQA playback is unstable when the MQA passthrough is enabled. Songs constantly drop and stutter. I have tried all the MQA albums, everytime when I hit play on the song, music plays but the MQA will not trigged instantly. It takes like 1 sec or 2 secs for the MQA to engaged. The MQA light and sampling rate will not light up till 1 sec or 2 secs. I can also hear a small pop sound from speaker when switching from normal to MQA files. I am going to return it get a full refund. I guess this is too new and they haven't tested the unit completely. When you pay money for a product and I would expect MQA will work properly. At this point I am not perfectly happy.

When I have time , I will definitely video the problem and show you guys. I am about to contact Cambridge regarding this.

ScofieldKid

Is RCA and XLR both on ? Just curious. I would see this as a nice possible speaker front-end. (I would guess that the Topping D90 measures better though...)

Filtersweep

Is RCA and XLR both on ? Just curious. I would see this as a nice possible speaker front-end. (I would guess that the Topping D90 measures better though...)
I can’t speak for the 200M but the original Dacmagic Plus output to both RCA and XLR. I used to run active speakers from the XLR and a sub from the RCA. I can’t imagine the 200M would be different.

myoho81

Mine arrived few days ago, I was testing the unit for the whole weekend and found one problem about this DACmagic 200M, if you use it as an external DAC. I noticed that MQA playback is unstable when the MQA passthrough is enabled. Songs constantly drop and stutter. I have tried all the MQA albums, everytime when I hit play on the song, music plays but the MQA will not trigged instantly. It takes like 1 sec or 2 secs for the MQA to engaged. The MQA light and sampling rate will not light up till 1 sec or 2 secs. I can also hear a small pop sound from speaker when switching from normal to MQA files. I am going to return it get a full refund. I guess this is too new and they haven't tested the unit completely. When you pay money for a product and I would expect MQA will work properly. At this point I am not perfectly happy.

When I have time , I will definitely video the problem and show you guys. I am about to contact Cambridge regarding this.
I know it's an old post, but what Cambridge replied about the MQA problem? Thank you :rolleyes:

MusicListener

I know it's an old post, but what Cambridge replied about the MQA problem? Thank you :rolleyes:
There's no MQA problem. User MBWORLDZ was using his in combination with a Lumin streamer and something in that setup wasn't happy.

The 200M plays MQA flawlessly.

Top Bottom