• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M - New model!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/gbr/en/products/hi-fi/dacmagic/dacmagic-200m
cambridge 1.png

cambridge 2.png

Bamboszek

I had old DacMagic (without "Plus" or "100") which was amazing for it's time - really good performance, solid build quality, great functionality and lots of connectivity options. With Plus version they improved USB and added headphone amplifier.
I wonder if John Westlake is still designer of their DACs.

D

Deleted member 22273

Lovely!
My new all in one unit?

edit:

Don`t think so:

MAX OUTPUT POWER
>300mW @ 32ohm, >65mW @ 150ohm

Last edited by a moderator:

Filtersweep

I am still using the Dacmagic plus which I've had since about 2013. I haven't found anything with multiple optical/coax input options, preamp mode and balanced outputs to justify up(?side)grading to a newer DAC like DX7 pro.
I was reassured by Amir's measurements - subjectively I have always found it sounded clean and neutral despite it getting a poor reviews against the Schitt and Audio-gd options in the early 2010s (which I always found sounded strange).

I'd be interested in the 200M. I hope it's as well engineered as the Plus with more modern components - it would be interesting to see how it measures.

One thing I miss on the dacmagic is a remote - please Cambridge put a remote on the 200M!

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The dacmagic plus is one of the three things I bought because of this site (the other are a KTB and Hypex kits). It does what it is supposed to do. Yes, a remote would be nice, but the thing that bothers me the most is the volume control: a positional feedback anda display with at least some info on the attenuation level would be very nice.

Since Amir raised the issue in his review I wasn't disappointed or surprised but I underestimated how annoying it would be in practice when the thing is used in a non desktop environment.

bkrmar

Dont know why but to me it incredibly resembles product that was sourced from Chinese OEMs. Form factor and what we can see from the specs and architecture sure looks like "cousin" of products like SMSL SU9 etc.

Napusmauno

Dacmagic plus is advertised as preamp. Does this new Dacmagic 200M work as preamp? Im thinking of buying new preamp for my pair of Genelec 8330.

Katji

Major Contributor
The dacmagic plus is one of the three things I bought because of this site (the other are a KTB and Hypex kits). It does what it is supposed to do. Yes, a remote would be nice, but the thing that bothers me the most is the volume control: a positional feedback anda display with at least some info on the attenuation level would be very nice.

Since Amir raised the issue in his review I wasn't disappointed or surprised but I underestimated how annoying it would be in practice when the thing is used in a non desktop environment.
You mean using it without an amp?

dmilller

Dacmagic plus is advertised as preamp. Does this new Dacmagic 200M work as preamp? Im thinking of buying new preamp for my pair of Genelec 8330.

All DACS with volume control can be considered preamps. Switching between sources and limiting max output are the two issues that may come up if not using a traditional preamp or integrated amp.

Jazz1

I see this offers MQA. As a Tidal user I'm wondering if I should go for this over a Schiit Asgard with TrueMultibit for that reason (or others).

Sg86

Mine arrived today, but no volume information???

How the frick do i know what volume it is set at before switching source on, this will blow my speakers if it isn't low...

BungalowBill

I've been looking to get an AMP/DAC combo for my desktop and I'm very interested in getting this but there are so many options out there such as the THX788 and Jotunheim 2 for example.

Jazz1

I've been looking to get an AMP/DAC combo for my desktop and I'm very interested in getting this but there are so many options out there such as the THX788 and Jotunheim 2 for example.

I almost went for the Cambridge DacMagic 200M but my Asgard3 with TrueMultibit was shipped. Right now, I'm satisfied, for now :):):)

BungalowBill

I almost went for the Cambridge DacMagic 200M but my Asgard3 with TrueMultibit was shipped. Right now, I'm satisfied, for now :):):)

Yeah the Asgard3 with the module is a great choice; I'm getting the DacMagic 200M to use it as an all in one and later on I'll be using it as a DAC with a better AMP.

Sg86

Seriously does someone here know how to tell what the volume is at??

I've managed to switch it from Fixed to Variable, but have no idea what the volume is. I'm not willing to just turn the dial all the way to the left before switching source on with 5grand speakers and Purifi poweramp, that will not go down well.

Top Bottom