• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge Audio DAC/Streamer Measurements?

catalogguy

Forum Donor
I do not find any measurements on ASR on the Cambridge Audio DAC/streamer devices. Here is a list of what I am interested in reading about.
CXN (V2 especially)
Azur 851D & 851N

I have the impression that these are popular mass-market items. The 851D has a trigger output, which seems absent on most DACs, but I do not feel like I have enough information on the DAC performance. Is there a thread I have missed?

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I have a CXNv2 I could send in for measurement, but I use it nearly every day and cannot live without it that long, as I do not have a substitute. It sounds as good as any other DAC I have auditioned.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a CXNv2 I could send in for measurement, but I use it nearly every day and cannot live without it that long, as I do not have a substitute. It sounds as good as any other DAC I have auditioned.

+1 on that, especially if you are a tidal or Spotify user (others can be casted to it too). Very user friendly and to my ears good sounding device.

Gregss

I do not find any measurements on ASR on the Cambridge Audio DAC/streamer devices. Here is a list of what I am interested in reading about.
CXN (V2 especially)
Azur 851D & 851N

I have the impression that these are popular mass-market items. The 851D has a trigger output, which seems absent on most DACs, but I do not feel like I have enough information on the DAC performance. Is there a thread I have missed?

Hello,

While I do not have measurement on the Azur 851N, I have been working on my system for well over 30 years and have heard of lot of what is available. I am quite impressed and happy with this unit. Does everything it is supposed to do quite well and sounds great for this price point. While there may be better, don't know of any close to this price.

Regards,
Greg

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a 851N that died (it may have been a victim of a Chromecast flame-out), and they offered me a very decent trade against the Edge NQ more than a year ago. Both units have done well for me - their streaming software is the best I've seen.

They do list some specs, as someone in another thread pointed out. - https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/en/products/hi-fi/edge/edge-nq

Snoopy

Major Contributor
@ahofer
Would be a dream to get the edge streamer.
I have the Cxa81 and ordered the Cxn v2.

The edge NQ is 4700 UsD over here and that's a open box item.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@ahofer
Would be a dream to get the edge streamer.
I have the Cxa81 and ordered the Cxn v2.

The edge NQ is 4700 UsD over here and that's a open box item.

Nicely put together unit, but i doubt it offers any audible advantages over the CXN

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Since I have discovered that room correction is absolutely vital, I no longer use the streaming functions of my CXN v2, so I replaced it with a Schiit Modius USB DAC. I can now send it to Amir for testing, then list it for sale. I will try to box and ship it this week. I also have a CXA60 amplifier for testing and sale if enough people are interested in seeing it tested.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
CXN (V2 especially)
Azur 851D & 851N

See stereophiles measurements. Superb results
https://www.stereophile.com/content/cambridge-audio-azur-851d-da-processor-measurements
I got the CD player , can also work as A digital preamp and separate Dac and USB, to SPDIF converter. i have had mine for 8 years now, vert happy with it

Last edited:

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Since I have discovered that room correction is absolutely vital, I no longer use the streaming functions of my CXN v2, so I replaced it with a Schiit Modius USB DAC. I can now send it to Amir for testing, then list it for sale. I will try to box and ship it this week. I also have a CXA60 amplifier for testing and sale if enough people are interested in seeing it tested.
Thank you. I am absolutely interested in all Cambridge Audio as they represent to me a great value. Seeing one of their amps get the treatment sounds great.

Snoopy

Major Contributor

I used YPAO from Yamaha before and didn't like the results at all. With digital room correction Im Always worried I mess more up than I improve the sound.

But shouldn't it still be possible to use a mini DSP with Dirac with the Cambridge combo?

https://www.soundimports.eu/de/mini...IHV-Upccagu3yoZrabH7uhlME3hb-TP8aAqcnEALw_wcB

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I used YPAO from Yamaha before and didn't like the results at all. With digital room correction Im Always worried I mess more up than I improve the sound.

But shouldn't it still be possible to use a mini DSP with Dirac with the Cambridge combo?

https://www.soundimports.eu/de/mini...IHV-Upccagu3yoZrabH7uhlME3hb-TP8aAqcnEALw_wcB

I use Dirac Standalone on my PC and connect to the Modius DAC via USB. It is wonderful.

It is possible, but more expensive and complicated than it needs to be. The Modius cost $200 plus $350 for the Dirac license vs. $1000 for the CXN plus $800 for the MiniDSP with Dirac. Since I have a PC in the rack anyway, it makes sense to use it and simplify the setup at a lower cost.

testp

OpendDRC looks good in price...

another option - i'm thinking myself :rolleyes: -> dirac computer license -> wifi tonggle || direct lan -> rasp Pi -> possibly Allo or Topping dac

should total to good price and performance as well. There is even great performing Allo Dac-Pi (in-one) option i believe

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
CXN (V2 especially)
You welcome:

Top Bottom