• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge Audio CXN V2 Measurements (Streamer & DAC)

terrys999

I notice it has 2 digital outputs (coax and optical). So for streamer only use, if I understand correctly, the only full bandwidth output is the coax. Kinda surprised they did not put a USB digital output as well - probably just an off the shelf or library add on. Still, I can get by Cxn outputs 192 with toslink too
I notice it has 2 digital outputs (coax and optical). So for streamer only use, if I understand correctly, the only full bandwidth output is the coax. Kinda surprised they did not put a USB digital output as well - probably just an off the shelf or library add on. Still, I can get by with those two.
Toslink outputs 192 also.

I have no problems

Cxn 192 toslink out to adi. Bit perfect.

FireFly88

New to this forum, but been in the Audio realm for a very long time, the Cambridge Audio CXN v2 is very capable streamer and has a decent onboard Dac, but what bugged me about my unit, is I would get a popping sound when changing music, not sure what is causing this but it was unacceptable to me.. I will stick to my Innuos ZenMini using a good outboard Dac, zero issues and I love their software. If the popping wasn't happening, I would have kept this unit, because I do like using balanced outputs. Now this could be an incompatibility issue with my Outboard dac and the Cambridge, I plan in hooking it directly to my Int. Amp, to see if I have same issue.

Last edited:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
New to this forum, but been in the Audio realm for a very long time, the Cambridge Audio CXN v2 is very capable streamer and has a decent onboard Dac, but what bugged me about my unit, is I would get a popping sound when changing music, not sure what is causing this but it was unacceptable to me.. I will stick to my Innuos ZenMini using a good outboard Dac, zero issues and I love their software. If the popping wasn't happening, I would have kept this unit, because I do like using balanced outputs. Now this could be an incompatibility issue with my Outboard dac and the Cambridge, I plan in hooking it directly to my Int. Amp, to see if I have same issue.
No popping sounds on mine while using RCA to my Cambridge cxa81 and XLR to my Singxer SA-1 headphone amp.

If you want to use a external DAC just replace the Cambridge with raspberry pi. Using the Cxn V2 just as a transport is a massive waste of money in my opinion. Especially since the digital out is limited to 192khz I believe. And streaming DSD to it is also Limited compared to a raspberry pi that is 1/10th of it's price

FireFly88

Snoopy, sounds like you have a direct connection, I haven't tried balanced outputs yet going to do that tomorrow. I just bought this unit more as a back up but going of my coax my higher end Dac is a tad problematic as I do not get the poppy sound when hooked through my Innous system. Is the Raspberry Pi, is it a device of software or both ? Seems like I have heard of it before.

Are you talking about this:

Last edited:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
the Raspberry Pi, is it a device of software or both ? Seems like I have heard of it before.

Are you talking about this:

A raspberry pi is a small computer with a USB output, you can add all kind of add-ons to it called hats that give U all kind of options like coax ..

I have one that I use as a roon endpoint with my bedroom rig.

The Cxn V2 is already roon ready and I didn't want to buy a second expensive streamer for the bedroom that has limitations.

Cxn V2 resamples everything to pcm 384 if you use the internal DAC and supports only DSD 64 over DoP, blusound node crappy DAC and no DSD support .

I paid around 100€ with case, cables and SD card for my RPi4 and it runs from a USB port and is does everything I would do with a streamer .

stephanadams

Marketing waffle aside, its nice to see if you pay more you get more with this cambridge. If a purchaser were looking at the Bluesound Node and wanted to spend more, the cambridge appears a worthy recommendation/upgrade.

yanm

Forum Donor
Marketing waffle aside, its nice to see if you pay more you get more with this cambridge. If a purchaser were looking at the Bluesound Node and wanted to spend more, the cambridge appears a worthy recommendation/upgrade.
How so? I mean, the Cambridge was on my short list but I ended up going with a Bluesound Node + Topping E50. Still cost less than the Cambridge and measures (slightly) better. The main points that made me select the Bluesound at the time: 1) there were no trustworthy measurements of the Cambridge, and 2) contrary to the Node, it does not have a trigger out (the Cambridge has a “control bus” output but this looks highly custom). The latter point is a real killer to integrate the cambridge in a non-Cambridge setup.

On the other hand, the node software (app) is usable but really meh. The Cambridge one may be better…

Last edited:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
How so? I mean, the Cambridge was on my short list but I ended up going with a Bluesound Node + Topping E50. Still cost less than the Cambridge but measures better. The main points that made me select the Bluesound: 1) there were no trustworthy measurements of the Cambridge, and 2) contrary to the Node, it does not have a trigger out (the Cambridge has a “control bus” output but this looks highly custom). The latter point is a real killer to integrate the cambridge in a non-Cambridge setup.

On the other hand, the node software (app) is usable but really meh. The Cambridge one may be better…

Measurements are perfectly fine for the Cambridge.

yanm

Forum Donor
Measurements are perfectly fine for the Cambridge.
Yeah but I bought my setup before those measurements were available :). I edited my previous post to clarify.

Last edited:

zajogungster

I have the cxn v2 bought back in 2020 as my first streamer and can say it’s revolutionised my listening habits and enjoyment for the better compared to my previous setup of DacMagic plus connected to my iMac, for an all in one box simple solution I’m very impressed with it as it just does everything that I need with roon/tidal/Apple music/2gb library and has never stuttered/failed/lost connection. From anywhere in my house I can control it with my iPad/iPhone and having spms it means I can lounge in my chair and not have to move at all which is a massive bonus.

I can agree about the lightweight build quality but it’s digital so short of placing the innards inside a costly machined aluminium chassis i dont see the point in additional expense. I don’t think there is anything in a similar price range for an all in one box streamer solution with balanced xlr outputs and multiple connectivity, would I really hear a difference between more modern dac chips?, I doubt it so I’m perfectly happy with my choice.
I agree with everything you wrote about the device, but the fact that you could barely hear the difference between the current chips is a mistake! the differences are huge and therefore also audible

zajogungster

Blamb512

If this ever gets amazon HD music support I'd be extremely happy. Either that or Spotify HD finally comes out. On the audio advice video they claim amazon HD is coming out on the new Axn10 and MXn10's, sure hope it will be extended to the CXN as well

Dismayed

The RCA output on my CNX is bad. There is intermittent static, so I’ve ordered an external DAC to use with optical out. It was an eBay refurb purchase that worked for a while.

Carlton80@0

Anyone know the output in vrms for the RCA of the CXNv2 ?
From ARCAM
2.1V from RCA and 4.2V from XLR is the approximate RMS voltage output from a digital signal 1kHz tone at 0dBFS. Please note this is MAXIMUM RMS output.
The impedance is typically 50 Ohms unbalanced and 100 Ohms balanced.

Top Bottom