• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge Audio CXN V2 Measurements (Streamer & DAC)

D

Deleted member 48437

I will have 3 stereo xlr sources 1) Sony NAS 2). Denon CD player. 3) CXN v2.
The 851A has two inputs.
Can you recommend a 4 xlr (2 x stereo) input and one pair output?
If I used a Y cable would the impedance cange if both devices plugged in but only using one device at a time? I don’t want to suffer audio quality loss

D

Deleted member 48437

For the nice stack look with the CXA81 the CXNV2 is a winner. The CXNV2 is also easy to use and sounds great. It’s an overall excellent piece of equipment.

That said, the price of new units is $1400. I’m not sure I can justify the unit at that price point if all you primarily need is a streamer. The DAC in the CXNv2 is really good. In fact I wouldn’t recommend the CXNV2 at the old $1100 price point as a streamer only. I picked mine up for $750 from the CA Refurb store on eBay. It’s like a brand new unit as far as I can tell. If you need a DAC and streamer the CXNV2 is a strong recommend to me at $750, It’s a stretch at $1100, at $1400 I’ll pass.

If you are happy with the X1S I would check out the WIIM Mini Streamer or the iFi Zen Stream. If you don’t mind a little DIY a Raspberry Pi running MoOde audio is also a good option.
I will buy same eBay site $999. Thx for that feedback

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hum... which Denon CD Player or Sony NAS has XLR output to begin with?!
With the Cambridge do u need anything proprietary like a subscription to use your cell on top of the Quobuz subscription?
You mean, like Roon? Nope.
which one in that price range or under do u recommend?
This one.

D

Deleted member 48437

This is fun but I spent all morning online and you guys answered in a few posts what just wasn’t clear before. Thank you so much. I ordered the CXN v2 from Cambridge Audio eBay store $975

D

Deleted member 48437

The Sony HAP Z1ES is a NAS but not a music streamer despite being advertised that way. It’s external looks are the same as the Cambridge stufff. I just bought it and thought I was done but nope. I needed a streamer /dac combo anyway. Just a forewarning and word-to-the-wise

D

Deleted member 48437

Is the Nobsound above available in a competitor equivalent that isn’t Chinese?

octavius

Guys, you what you already own CXN v2 what are differences in sound quality connected XLR vs. CINCH connections.

D

Deleted member 48437

This site has that test review. I was surprised. I wd not have thought that the two types would test so dissimilar. I too wonder if people can actually hear a difference?

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
what are differences in sound quality connected XLR vs. CINCH connections.
I too wonder if people can actually hear a difference?
They will because one output has twice as much voltage than the other. Otherwise, if level matched at the same level, no one should hear any difference.
I wd not have thought that the two types would test so dissimilar.
As for noise floor shape, it is related the my set-up at the time. I now use another method to measure SE signals, that would give better results for RCA (would also add REW FFT for more accurate THD+N figures).

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Guys, you what you already own CXN v2 what are differences in sound quality connected XLR vs. CINCH connections.

Tried both. Both sound equally good if level matched.

The Cambridge streammagic app is alright. And you can use airplay for apple music or if you want to stream sound from a apple TV instead of using cables.

And there is always the option to use roon with the cxn V2 (another subscription).
Or you use a raspberry pi and use another streaming software connected to the cxn V2.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
With the Cambridge do u need anything proprietary like a subscription to use your cell on top of the Quobuz subscription?
There are 2 ways to use qobuz with the cxn (you won't be using the USB from a PC etc so I'm only talking wireless)

1.qobuz app on phone, use chromecast to cxn

2. (you might still need qobuz app on phone as well, can't remember) control qobuz via the streamagic (free) app on your phone

Either is easy.

If you used Spotify it has the app built into the device itself so you could just use the remote and the unit.

If you use tidal, it has tidal connect so you would control that from your phone too

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The 851A has two inputs.
If I used a Y cable would the impedance cange if both devices plugged in but only using one device at a time? I don’t want to suffer audio quality loss
The Nobsound 3 (pairs) into 1 (or there is a 1 into 3 too) reviewed on here works fine for me https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...und-3-in-1-out-xlr-audio-switch-review.11062/

terrys999

Qobuz with cxn v1
Pi4 with bubbleupnp
Use bubble on pi to configure Qobuz and tidal.

LUMIN app options. Select cxn.
Select Qobuz
All done.

D

Deleted member 48437

I wondered about something and you might be the man to ask. Tying speaker negative wires in common will increase voltage to the speakers amd give a small amount of db but does that do any good or harm? I saw it on a forum.

Mr.XO

@VintageFlanker - so is this like a DACMagic-Plus with a streamer?

Vdwanderley

I’m really interested about the CXN device… probably not the best option but I’m failing to find which one is.
I need a streamer + DAC device that will also receive other sources like Tv. Bluesound Node could be the one, but there’s a reported lipsync issue where a 50ms delay is always included, which I think would ruin the experience with video sources. Also there’s no Dsd support as far as I know…

Top Bottom