• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge Audio CXN V2 Measurements (Streamer & DAC)

marcosax

Yep. Definetly is.

About that, @biglebowski told me that some people on Roon forum complained about digital outputs being also upsampled. I did not find such things :

View attachment 194205

What's weird, tho, is the upsampling being there using Roon Ready input... so already applied in the software domain. Seriously, why?

View attachment 194206
This drove me nuts when I was helping a friend to set up his brand new system ( Roon -> CA CXNv2 + CAX61 + Q Acoustics 3050i speakers ). I found it impossible to get a Lossless path in Roon. After a lot of tinkering, in the end, I discovered that Roon was reading the data from the DAC (hence reporting upsampled = Sample Rate Conversion) while it was streaming at the original resolution. I later found the video with the guy from Cambridge Audio saying that 'forcing upsampling was so much better that there was no point allowing the user to turn off the feature.' I found that very odd (understatement ...).
Another limitation I found was the CXNv2 lacks a USB Audio 2 out, hence forcing to use SPDIF or TOS Link (therefore capping the res at DSD 64 and PCM at 192) if one wants to bypass the CXN internal DAC and use the CXA61/81 DAC, which support higher-res, DSD 256 and 384 kHz).
It seems a bad strategy (duplication) to have two (different) DACs in two devices that should work in synergy, and the lack of USB Audio out in the streamer (while - thank God - present in the amp), a machine they prise for connectivity.
Later, reading CXA81's poor measurements in Amir's review only added to the overall feeling of disappointment with these products.
BTW, My friend was never quite happy with the overall sound.
I have to check whether he's changed something or just gave up.

PS: sorry for the rant, I usually lurk, but I couldn't resist jumping in.
Marco from Italy

terrys999

Yep. Definetly is.

About that, @biglebowski told me that some people on Roon forum complained about digital outputs being also upsampled. I did not find such things :

View attachment 194205

What's weird, tho, is the upsampling being there using Roon Ready input... so already applied in the software domain. Seriously, why?

View attachment 194206

Coax and optical does pass through untouched.
I can output dsd coax and opt... out to rme adi 2 dac fs. Dac tells me dsd 176khz and it passes bit test, bit perfect.
Fantastic

Mindhead1

Does anyone here actually listen to equipment and music? I just added a CXNV2 to my CXA81 and it sounds fantastic. In fact the CXA81 sounds great with my RPi into the amps DAC.

The main reasons I added the CXNV2 are curiosity, aesthetics, and I got a good deal on eBay. $750 from the CA refurb store. I’ve only had it for a week, but I’m impressed. Is it 7x better sounding than my RPi? No. But it’s easier to set up and manage for non-techy types and the DAC sounds really good to me. Pairs nicely with the CXA81 and my Aune X7S headphon amp.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone here actually listen to equipment and music?
:facepalm:
Turns out: everybody does...
In fact the CXA81 sounds great with my RPi into the amps DAC.
Good. Enjoy, then.
Another limitation I found was the CXNv2 lacks a USB Audio 2 out, hence forcing to use SPDIF or TOS Link (therefore capping the res at DSD 64 and PCM at 192) if one wants to bypass the CXN internal DAC and use the CXA61/81 DAC, which support higher-res, DSD 256 and 384 kHz).
Honestly, I see no point to output USB to the CXA81. Higher DSD and 384Khz support makes no sense when there is such a difference between both DAC performances... Better go for lower sampling rate and much better fidelity.;)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This drove me nuts when I was helping a friend to set up his brand new system ( Roon -> CA CXNv2 + CAX61 + Q Acoustics 3050i speakers ). I found it impossible to get a Lossless path in Roon. After a lot of tinkering, in the end, I discovered that Roon was reading the data from the DAC (hence reporting upsampled = Sample Rate Conversion) while it was streaming at the original resolution. I later found the video with the guy from Cambridge Audio saying that 'forcing upsampling was so much better that there was no point allowing the user to turn off the feature.' I found that very odd (understatement ...).
It seems a bad strategy (duplication) to have two (different) DACs in two devices that should work in synergy, and the lack of USB Audio out in the streamer (while - thank God - present in the amp), a machine they prise for connectivity.
Later, reading CXA81's poor measurements in Amir's review only added to the overall feeling of disappointment with these products.
BTW, My friend was never quite happy with the overall sound.
I have to check whether he's changed something or just gave up.

PS: sorry for the rant, I usually lurk, but I couldn't resist jumping in.
Marco from Italy
I'm confused. I'm your friend's set up, what is the cxn doing? Networked roon endpoint?

marcosax

I'm confused. I'm your friend's set up, what is the cxn doing? Networked roon endpoint?
sorry for such late reply, whole family been hit by Covid and still recovering...
Yes, CXNv2 was serving as endpoint for Roon.
He was new to this and wanted to experiment with hi-res tracks at different res (see if there was any audible difference) and that limitation of forced upsampling made it impossible.
After some stressing fiddling, we found out the digital outputs were passing through the untouch signal, but Roon still reported the upsample performed (as I understand it communicates with the DAC, telling it that, although it's not true).
It seemed a questionable choice by the manufacturer, not allowing the user to turn off the upsapling feature.
So he chose to get an Allo USBridge Sig, (same as I have) connected to the CAX61 via USB.
Shame we didn'k know the superiority in quality between the DAC in the CXNv2 vs the one in the CAX61, as reported by @VintageFlanker, although I don't know by how (and I'm not literate enough to interpret the graphs, unfortunately).
I just assumed - before knowing any better- that a more recent appliance (CAX61) sporting higher specs had to be better than an older by the same manufacturer (CXNv2).
Also, having a duplicate feature (two DACs in two machines meant to work together) felt like bad design.
I don't know, I just feel that it would have made more sense if Cambridge Audio designed a streamer and put the better DAC in the amp and sporting EVERY connection on the streamer (like USB audio).
But maybe I'm still fogged minded by this bloody virus ...
sorry for the rant

octavius

I'm thinking to upgrade my streamer on base RPI4. It's called Raspdac mini lcd selling by Audiophonics. I think already measured here too. I would like to try Cambridge Audio Azur 851N or this one Cambridge Audio CXN V2. Which is better or which will be better upgrade from Raspdac please? Audio gear is Monitor audio Gold 300 gen5 and amp Kinki Studio EX-M1+

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like to try Cambridge Audio Azur 851N or this one Cambridge Audio CXN V2
851N is an outdated product that comes from 10 years old range. Looks like a terrible choice in 2022, not to mention bad reliability of 851 series. Here you have the data to decide is the CXN is good enough (Turns out: it is). I have no clue how Raspdac Mini is supposed to perform, but I would be surprised it could be any better than the CXN.

Audio gear is Monitor audio Gold 300 gen5 and amp Kinki Studio EX-M1+
Knowing the speakers is irrelevant to choose a DAC (there's no such thing as "synergy" with speakers ;)). Yet, your amp does have balanced inputs, which is a good thing for the CXN V2.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
@VintageFlanker, nice work Sir. Keep it up and Amir can finally wear that Speedo his wife bought him for Christmas. :eek:

octavius

Thanks for answer. U are right about knowing the speakers... :) 851 is quite old gear I already know so I cancel it from my list. I think better combination would be Bluesound NODE 3 with SMSL SU-9. What are you talking about for this combination?

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What are you talking about for this combination?
That it will measure better, for sure (sound is another story). It's up to you if you're seeking for either a separate or an all-integrated product. Software support will be a big selling point : Do you prefer StreamMagic or BluOs? Etc.

If you happen to be a Roon user, you could also the Matrix Mini-i Pro 3 or Element-i, which are excellent picks.

yanm

Forum Donor
LOL - "straight line approximation"

Marketing waffle aside, its nice to see if you pay more you get more with this cambridge. If a purchaser were looking at the Bluesound Node and wanted to spend more, the cambridge appears a worthy recommendation/upgrade.

Shame about the CXA81 results here & interesting vs. the stereophile measurements. Hope Cambridge Audio gets to the bottom of that
Bluesound‘s node is vastly less expensive (around 500€/USD if memory serves) and paired with an external DAC e.g., Topping E50, it costs less and would measure SoTA (no audible difference though). I was hesitating between a Node+E50 and the CXN V2. The CXN would have been a nice one box solution. I went with the former because the CXN was missing a trigger output: from what I read online it is not that straightforward to pair with non-CA amplifier as it uses a proprietary control bus…

lsantista

I'm thinking to upgrade my streamer on base RPI4. It's called Raspdac mini lcd selling by Audiophonics. I think already measured here too. I would like to try Cambridge Audio Azur 851N or this one Cambridge Audio CXN V2. Which is better or which will be better upgrade from Raspdac please? Audio gear is Monitor audio Gold 300 gen5 and amp Kinki Studio EX-M1+
I own the cxn v2 , and had the 851N for a week to compare. Could not hear a difference in my Stax setup. Anyway, Ive seen you already ruled it out

octavius

Thanks Isantista. I do not know if CXN v2 would be better regarding to sound quality against RaspDac Mini LCD? Raspdac has https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/open...for-raspberry-pi-4-dac-es9038q2m-p-15148.html - Sabre DAC I-ES9038Q2M But what is annoying to me is software of Volumio. There is still problem with on/off sometimes it doesn't off or doesn't on when I turn on the device. Then I have to reconnect the power and boot again. Volumio has only Spotify connect in their free plan. If some user wants to use Tidal there is no tidal connect in free version of volumio :( or use Bubleupnp...
That's why I thought over the change of streamer.
May I ask NOD 3 users if is possible to store radio stations into 5 preset position on the top?

TimA

I have been thinking about the CXNv2 as I need a new streamer (and Raspberry Pi alternatives don't appeal to me). I have seen reviews of cheaper Chinese products like the SMSL DP5 that don't inspire confidence. But I recently noticed this one - does anyone have any experience of Eweat?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003695199035.html

Mindhead1

I have been thinking about the CXNv2 as I need a new streamer (and Raspberry Pi alternatives don't appeal to me). I have seen reviews of cheaper Chinese products like the SMSL DP5 that don't inspire confidence. But I recently noticed this one - does anyone have any experience of Eweat?
Check out the Cambridge Audio refurbished store on eBay. You can pick up a CXNV2 for $750. I have one and it works perfectly.

yanm

Forum Donor
Never heard of it before. For a streamer, I would stick with a brand that is known to sustain their products in the long haul, as the software is a core component that requires frequent updates.

Alternatively, you can opt (as I did) for a Bluesound node. Its DAC does not measure well but the difference is probably inaudible compared to a SOTA solution (and you can use an external DAC). I combined the node with a Topping E50, the total cost was about 700-800USD.

A refurbished CXNv2 as suggested by @Mindhead1 is as well a good alternative.

Last edited:

Shemen

I have an Aune X1S DAC connected to my CXA81 amplifier, I need a streamer option, is it a good option to buy a CXN V.2 device to connect it to my audio chain?

Top Bottom