• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Call for Professional Conduct/Language (Please Read)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a message to the full membership. If there is one thing I can't stand is unprofessional language, specifically name calling. It has no place in an adult forum. If your logic is so weak as to require personal insults/commentary to get there, then you better not post it.

Come on guys. Speak as if your family is watching what you say. Act like you would if you were at Audio Engineering Society presenting a paper to your peers, or asking questions of the presenter.

As much as I don't want to babysit everything you all say, this one I will be enforcing. If I have to, I will get a moderator to just delete any posts that are this way. Just stop this minute and eliminate any personal angst you want to project at a different person.

You all can contribute so positively yet a lot of bad language is being used to raise the noise floor of the forum, degrade what we stand for and overall, go against everything I believe. So please, work with me on this. Follow what I do if you don't know what it means. Whatever you do, let this be the last day we speak to each other the way we have been.

PS Teasing is allowed of course as long as it is meant to be fun and not a mask to hide behind ugliness.

Mivera

Major Contributor
I don't know where all this angst comes from.. Well that's not strictly true but why it manifests here of all places escapes me.

It all started when you went on vacation. We lost the watchman for a few days

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Four years ago, @ the beach (in Quebec by a beautiful lake), we were having a picnic, and by accident I broke a glass wine...I was just happy.
Then the girl, who's glass it was, mentioned the word "imbecile"; not towards me but towards the broken glass.
Then I said to her; it was just an accident, it's not the glass' fault.
She went for a walk along the beach and came back half hour later and apologized (kind of a good meditation her walk).
And I said to her; no problemo. And I kissed her while hugging her. ...But without asking her to marry me.

The glass was a 0.10 cents glass that you buy @ Costco.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
I am 100% agreeing with Amir; simple words like "stupid", ...anything diminishing a human being, I am extremely sensitive to.
Any form of disrespect, even subtle, I am extremely sensitive to.

Am I wrong? You betcha that I am wrong; any insult even the most malificent, benign ones I should accept with full dignity and honor.
It's me who is the problem, with my sensitivity, and not the other person using insulting tones; it's normal, everyone talk like that in normal life.

Yes, I am sarcastic here. I'm with Amir 100%, and if he needs a moderator, in addition to all of us when we start our own threads, for language that is disrespectful; I volunteer myself.

Sure, I cannot read all the posts 24 hours a day, but 16 hours a day yes. And besides, when a member see an insulting post directed towards another member he simply click on report...that helps "my" job, and Amir's job. :)

This, only as a try basis, and if absolutely necessary. And if I sincerely volunteer to try is because like all of you I listen to what all of us are saying, and like all of you, I want to be happy.

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I hope you get a try at moderating all help is beneficial as we get things going, and you have time to do it, that's marvelous.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Four years ago, @ the beach (in Quebec by a beautiful lake), we were having a picnic, and by accident I broke a glass wine...I was just happy.
Then the girl, who's glass it was, mentioned the word "imbecile"; not towards me but towards the broken glass.
Then I said to her; it was just an accident, it's not the glass' fault.
She went for a walk along the beach and came back half hour later and apologized (kind of a good meditation her walk).
And I said to her; no problemo. And I kissed her while hugging her. ...But without asking her to marry me.

The glass was a 0.10 cents glass that you buy @ Costco.
I hope you mean a plastic wine glass, if you brought and broke a glass glass on the beach you deserved the slam. ;)

NorthSky

Major Contributor
I hope you get a try at moderating all help is beneficial as we get things going, and you have time to do it, that's marvelous.

Lol Tom, with only 80 (79) members there's no need for a mod. With 8,000 perhaps a couple mods who are active everyday and gentle people. :)
I only mentioned it in case Amir needs a short hand, and for a very short time.

A full time mod I don't think I'm strong enough. Just supervising crews in real life is not always a picnic because when one worker is not happy with another one it's the supervisor who hear all the human trauma syndromes. :) ...Very tough to deal with people like Donald Trump and all that jazz. :D

Anyway, I feel it's gone now; we've talked about it and we've all listened. Now, how to get rid of Fight Club. I've already deleted my own posts there, because there are already threads for humor, test areas, news we can use, etc.

And when it comes to analog versus digital, or hearing is believing, and measuring is not lying, and cables, and DACs, and values (MSRP), and tweaks that work and don't, and everything that is related to music selections, genres, remastering, lo-res, hi-res, turntable's azimuth, tape's wow and flutter, CD drive and transport, coaxial and glass optical, balanced and unbalanced, ...zillion other stuff all related to audio, passion, hobby, way-of-living...eating...feeding our families...wife and kids, sleeping well @ night, being happy 366 days a year, ...all that...is all fun to discuss, to advance, to learn, to share, to analyse, to listen to, to watch, to measure for people who have measuring tools, to design for people who are audio gear and loudspeaker designers, to sell to audio lovers and audiophiles from audio dealers, to teach from audio explorer scientists, to explore further the unknown too, ...short of writing an audio encyclopedia, this is exactly what we all do for the love of audio science, and the reason mainly why professional audio reviewers and audio writers do the job they do.

All the audio discussions we have is the exploration of tomorrow more advanced technological new frontier. ...Today's latest discoveries are for tomorrow's generations. ...All in the goal for a better world. So, it won't always be pink, but they'll be an occasional black hole, an impasse that science would have to search deeper. We're all part of it...so what's the rush...and why so serious. :)

Last edited:

SoundAndMotion

I applaud the call for civility and good behavior. Amir stated it as he wants it, and it’s his baby, but I’d like to also suggest:

Covert name-calling. Of course we all know calling someone “stupid” is name-calling, but many seem to have redefined words, without informing Merriam Webster. For example, some here rather blatantly use “audiophile” and “subjectivist” to mean “delusional idiot”, but Merriam Webster says it means “a person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction”. I think that means all of us! Calling someone, or their post, “audiophile” seems rather ambiguous or redundant. Maybe another description… or no description, just an information-rich counter-point.

Show respect, even when you don’t have it or feel it; fake it. We learned as kids “if you can’t say something nice, don’t say it at all”. Well we’re adults and we may not always be nice, but if you are unable to make a point with respect, maybe you can wait until you can.

Amnesty. Many here come with grudges or feuds from other forums. Maybe here we can start with a clean slate. Address what has been posted here, not what you’ve been fighting about elsewhere.

… just some thoughts… my 2¢

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
I applaud the call for civility and good behavior. Amir stated it as he wants it, and it’s his baby, but I’d like to also suggest:

Covert name-calling.
I concur. What is your real name?
Not interested in spin/excuses, your actual name please, no covert "SoundandMotion", thanks.

h.g.

If I have to, I will get a moderator to just delete any posts that are this way.
Well that looks a step in the right direction and perhaps there is a glimmer of hope for the forum. Perhaps you should also consider working out and writing down the rules so everybody can know and accept why action was taken against a post. Recall how you felt when your posts were put in Hydrogen Audio's equivalent of "fight club" but with the offense not quite lining up with the reason given. Would you have felt differently if more accurate reasoning was given?

SoundAndMotion

I concur. What is your real name?
Not interested in spin/excuses, your actual name please, no covert "SoundandMotion", thanks.
Why? I'm not interested in your demands without justification.
I gave my reasons to you already. I'm open to being convinced, but you haven't yet. If the reasons sound like spin/excuses to you, I can't help you.

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
Blah, blah, blah...is unprofessional.
Great. Next time you see the person pictured to the left, who goes by his initials "AJ", at any of the dozens of audio events I'm at in person, do come and tell me, Mr "Sound and Motion".
Peep.

Last edited:

NorthSky

Major Contributor
We are 7.35 billion living on this planet...that is many words, many languages, many hearts and spirits, many people we'll never met, beautiful women, great minds, all that jazz.

Top Bottom