• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Calibration tool for Headphone + Hearing capability

Peter Verbeek

Yes, I know, the purpose of this program differs much from the one I persue.
Well, not really. Basically the procedure is exactly the same. With both apps the frequencies can be (quickly) sequentially changed whilst listening to a test signal. In case of Peace a sine, in case of Smyth Realiser a small noise band. And both apps uses the Equal-loudness contours ISO 226:2003. The test in Peace focus on hearing by headphones, Smyth seems to do this with speakers although it can perfectly be used for headphones too, I guess.

AudioManNewb

Just found this tool in EQ APO. What is the dummies guide to using it? Which phon do I use? They have corrected, 100 - 20, and hearing threshold?

OP
S

Silvian

Hi AudioMan, try the 60 or the 80 phon. They correspond to how loud you usually listen. As the difference is just in the bass and the treble regions - the mids are the same, it'll be easy to play with those individually, if you need to. Depending on the drivers and your preferences, you may find that you only have to adjust one or the other or neither. Do this on the curve created and save it that way. My first posting, the top of this thread, I hope explains well enough the process.

AudioManNewb

Hi AudioMan, try the 60 or the 80 phon. They correspond to how loud you usually listen. As the difference is just in the bass and the treble regions - the mids are the same, it'll be easy to play with those individually, if you need to. Depending on the drivers and your preferences, you may find that you only have to adjust one or the other or neither. Do this on the curve created and save it that way. My first posting, the top of this thread, I hope explains well enough the process.
Probably a stupid question but when doing the test do you leave the noise on or turn it off?

OP
S

Silvian

Probably a stupid question but when doing the test do you leave the noise on or turn it off?
Some recommend having the noise on. I don't know the exact reason, I guess it'll have to do with the brain paying more/better attention to the signal. Personally, I didn't find it critical, well, nothing with this process is critical as in you'd have to chase say every half a decibel. But as the vast majority of headphones have really large variations from the curve, this tool will, easily, correct for those.

giboja

Just finished 15th run.
This tool is amazing and I think/hope in future everyone will be able to adjust signal ti his own hearing curve precisely .

I found big difference in created eq profiles after testing with and without noise(pure ton) testing.
Single ton gave harsher sounding result by lot.
Testing was done with closed back headphones(hd820) in silent room, deep night.
Preferred phon setting for me with this setup is 80 but 60 wasn't bed either.

Eq settings I found weeker and narrow to be the best.

Very interesting and promising program.

jensgk

Forum Donor
I can understand calibrating for hearing capability if there are sounds you cannot hear, but if you have a near normal hearing, won't calibrating for hearing capability make the music sound unnatural?

What I mean is: My brain is used to the peculiarities of my hearing, so when I go to a concert, the music sounds natural to me. If I then come home and listen to the same music from a hearing calibrated sound system, it will not sound the same, it will sound unnatural. (I assume using a sound system calibrated for neutral sound).

giboja

Look, before trying eq, everything sounded natural to me and My brain was used to the peculiarities of my hearing but:

After eq, by headphone and hearing test, I at once realized that there is sound of cymbal and lot more in Al Jarreau Roof Garden which I did not hear before and,... I like cymbal sound.

Same would be true if my hearing was perfect but my headphones had recessed higes.... after eq there will be cymbal.

Problem is, with existing methods, once you adjust every given frequency to be heard, because of insufficient samples and/or algorithm result needs to be manually, or better to say, by ear, adjusted for pleasant result.

I am just laic- amateur/spectator here, don't take my opinion too seriously but I like idea, program and this small wired community.

mozophe

@Peter Verbeek @Silvian I would really like to thank you for this calibration tool. For years, I have been hearing audio whose balance was very slightly tilted towards the right (I have a small difference in hearing between my left and right ears). I tried correcting for this using volume balance in Windows but the result was never perfect (needed smaller volume steps to make it more precise but never found a solution). I have been using Equalizer APO for a while but found out about this calibration tool just today and the result is just amazing. The audio is perfectly centered.

I am having trouble understanding the results though. As my audio was slightly tilted towards the right, I assumed that I heard less well from my left ear compared to my right ear. But if I understand the results correctly, it looks like my hearing from my left ear is actually better than my right ear. As the EQ profile works perfectly, I know for sure that this resolves my issue. Could you please tell me how to interpret the graph correctly?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-30 161644.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-30 161644.png
    231.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot 2023-11-30 161703.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-30 161703.png
    207.8 KB · Views: 31
Top Bottom