• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cables: there goes Gene from Audioholics

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I went to check the Audioholics channel to see how Gene is recovering from Covid-19 virus. Was shocked to see a serious review and recommendation of Kimber cable from him:

I am amazed he doesn't know you can buy locking banana jacks from parts express for a fraction of what Kimber charges. Indeed that is what I use for my critical amplifier load.

I also don't know what he is talking about as far as that cable looking pretty. What is pretty about clear jacket cable with some connectors at the end? Does it get your more dates if you are single? I don't think so!

The power of free gear is so strong with folks. He calls Kimber and gets a boat load of cables and goes on to recommend a pair for $1000 for 11 foot!

Oh well.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I also don't know what he is talking about as far as that cable looking pretty. What is pretty about clear jacket cable with some connectors at the end?
It looks like shiny attractive jewelry and the quasi Litz wiring effect turns people on too for some reason. I can only imagine the machine they use for making that. That's the fascinating part for me.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I went to check the Audioholics channel to see how Gene is recovering from Covid-19 virus. Was shocked to see a serious review and recommendation of Kimber cable from him:

I am amazed he doesn't know you can buy locking banana jacks from parts express for a fraction of what Kimber charges. Indeed that is what I use for my critical amplifier load.

I also don't know what he is talking about as far as that cable looking pretty. What is pretty about clear jacket cable with some connectors at the end? Does it get your more dates if you are single? I don't think so!

The power of free gear is so strong with folks. He calls Kimber and gets a boat load of cables and goes on to recommend a pair for $1000 for 11 foot!

Oh well.
You are just jealous of his relative youth and You Tube video skills .

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You are just jealous of his relative youth and You Tube video skills .
He ain't got nothing on me. Check out my latest outfit:

crazy-fashion6.jpg

If I did videos, I could not keep all the fans away.....

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
He did say that you will not hear a difference. And it’s audiophile jewellery. Give him some slack, at least he knows the science.
Why do we need a video from him as a "review" of said kable?

Wombat

Master Contributor

Oh well.

crazy-fashion6.jpg

Hairy knees, huh? :eek:

TimF

Forum Donor

crazy-fashion6.jpg

Reminds me of an internet date I once had. She also weezed from heavy smoking.

tuga

Major Contributor
Only 346 pF/meter or 100pF/ft ...

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do we need a video from him as a "review" of said kable?
Because Kimber probably gave him the 10 cables worth a couple thousands of dollars in exchange for a review. He did mention the unlikihood of audibility and how it’s measured performance is actually good.

As for looks, the strands are woven/braided which I do find attractive, and WBT bananas are nicer looking than any knock-off, though the PartsExpress branded ones which are ~10x cheaper are close.

NoMoFoNo

Sigh. Another dipshit voice supporting the debasement of the audio market and hobbyists. I would have no problem with the Marie Antoinette crowd buying such frippery if it were acknowledged by seller and buyer that they are primping up their spaces with audio jewelry. Every claim, every 'review', these create credibility footholds in the hobby climate that the gullible and pompous latch onto.

Those are then the hobbyists who piss on everyone with 'lesser' gear, 'lesser' hearing, 'lesser' experience. When we wonder how in the hell these cables proliferate, why hobbyists pay more than a couple of hundred for a DAC, why people are still paying big money for turntables, it's in no small measure because of the clown boosters, ahem sorry, the reviewers who have no integrity, no soul, no credibility.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
What locking cheap banana plug would you recommend?

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got my locking bananas directly from bluejeanscables for $7.25/pair , I believe they are the same other than the logo

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm

Locking Banana plugs, Gold-plated,
setscrew-style, red/black pair
$7.25/pair

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
since we're talking about cables, and I thought I'd open a topic on cable diameters vs. length because I was surprised when I read the instructions for the Revel 228 Performa BE to see a recommendation from a company that symbolizes audio science.
I never paid attention to cable diameter vs. length and I never paid attention to the cable itself.
I would like to know if there is anything scientific in what Revel says?
I didn't pay so much attention to the wires that maybe I missed something?

"""NOTE: High loop resistances that exceed 0.07 Ohms (for each wire run) will cause the loudspeaker’s filter network to be mis- terminated, resulting in considerable degradation of sound quality."""

1585839653868.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom