• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cables recommendation needed

Roy_L

As strange as it may sound in this site, I'm looking for a recommendation for a good cable manufacturer.
I need long speaker cables (about 10m) and some RCA's.

Now, don't get me wrong- I'm not one of those who hear differences between cables, right? I just want something the will look nice and relatively "heavy duty" to replace my rather generic cables. I know there are some cable manufacturers who claim they offer great VFM and sell online directly to costumers, such as 'Blue Jeans Cables' (the only example I could think of). Does anyone know of other brands of this nature?

Or maybe I should look into pro/studio brands?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Mogami, Canare, Belden are all good pro brands. Blue Jeans is convenient because they will terminate the cable for you if that's not your thing.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
For RCAs I might look at Periapt, as well as Worlds Best Cables on Amazon if you are shopping near Blue Jeans price for something handmade and bespoke with Amphenol, Neutrik, Belden, Canare, etc. Parts.

I never buy assembled speaker cables so I have no idea there. I get parts from Monoprice and or PE and make what I want.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Speaker wire, lowest gauge you can afford. Gene from Audiholics runs 10awg. But 12 is also good. I run 12awg. If on a budget, get Monoprice. If you need higher quality, blue jeans cable.

Same recommendation for RCA, but if you need an extra small RCA cable (a couple of inches), look at Ghent Audio.

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I just want something the will look nice and relatively "heavy duty" to replace my rather generic cables.
What about some of these?
https://www.thomann.de/se/cordial_cfu_3_cc.htm
10965775_800.webp

as-lot

If in Europe, I think Flashback Sales are reputed to be good no nonsense cables. Although their site does talk about the 'sound' it's all worded as 'customers have said'. Covering both end I guess ;-)

I've only ever seen their premiere, which is essentially a miniature coax and to my layman eyes looks to be well terminated.

If there's any others this side of the pond that will do quality, terminated, in custom lengths & colours (or at least white so it doesn't show so much against the wall), and terminated, I'd be happy to hear it.

Attachments

• flashback-premiere.jpg
    flashback-premiere.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 281

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If in Europe, I think Flashback Sales are reputed to be good no nonsense cables. Although their site does talk about the 'sound' it's all worded as 'customers have said'. Covering both end I guess ;-)

I've only ever seen their premiere, which is essentially a miniature coax and to my layman eyes looks to be well terminated.

If there's any others this side of the pond that will do quality, terminated, in custom lengths & colours (or at least white so it doesn't show so much against the wall), and terminated, I'd be happy to hear it.
These don't look well made IMHO :confused:

as-lot

These don't look well made IMHO :confused:
Just out of curiosity, what don't you like about them? Anything I should be looking out for?

And any recommendations for an alternative? Ideally ones that also do (Naim) DIN plugs?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thumbs up for Blue Jeans cable! I got custom LONG lengths of speaker cable (and HDMI for video) for both my home theatre and 2 channel system. Great company. I use about a 40 foot run of 10 awg speaker cable from source room to listening room. Works great.

Got rid of the midrange glare and added liquidity to the highs! (I kid, I kid....)

SineWave

I was considering these about 10 years ago:

http://www.signalcable.com

They're not that expensive.

But then I decided to keep on using cheap regular cable $10/15 ~6' RCA and just any old 16 awg speaker cable.
Maybe when I start working again I'll order the signal cable, just for my TT.

samsa

If you're buying speaker wire, make sure it's pure copper, not copper-clad aluminum. For a 10m cable run, I'd go with at least 12AWG.

wje

Forum Donor
https://www.redco.com/ - click click, pick your cable, click click, pick your connectors...

Chris of Redco is great to work with. I've used Redco for my cable needs for the past several years. Also, if you're buying your cable and connectors to build some RCA interconnects, you might want to also get some Canare 4S11 cable to build some very good speaker cables. The 4S11 cable has 4 conductors @ 14GA each. You can pair the conductors to make a 10GA equivalent for each of your +/- connections for your speakers.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just out of curiosity, what don't you like about them? Anything I should be looking out for?

And any recommendations for an alternative? Ideally ones that also do (Naim) DIN plugs?

Sorry, it's simply my spontaneous opinion when I see your attached picture.
It looks clumsy, the cable looks very thin compared to the RCA larger diameter, the soldering doesn't look very pro.
I guess that I would make a better job DIY. Just my feeling though.

https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/a09.html
Bluejeans
even monoprice ; amazon basic cables

But I haven't seen their inside's either.

Jdunk54nl

I am a fan of world's best cables.

They are well made, use good cable and connectors, and are relatively cheap.

IMG_1314.JPG
IMG_1313.JPG

IMG_1312.JPG

IMG_1311.JPG

Speedskater

Major Contributor
From the photos in post # 15. Using a StarQuad cable (meant for XLR interconnects) attached as pictured for RCA interconnects, makes a poor RCA interconnect.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From the photos in post # 15. Using a StarQuad cable (meant for XLR interconnects) attached as pictured for RCA interconnects, makes a poor RCA interconnect.
a- Could make sense, but what's the reason behind ? Inductance, capacity ?
b-The RCA is here better adapted and holds better to the cable sleeve compared to post #7.

Last edited:

as-lot

Looks like all of Ghent Audio's interconnects use star quad as well.

Corock

https://www.infinitecables.com is a Canadian built cable that I've used in the past. Phantom cables is their premium brand and they're well built at a reasonable price; they do custom builds as well. And of course they ship internationally.

Top Bottom