• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cable measurement

faheem

Forum Donor
Last week, I changed cables, to the original hifiman which is longer. I noticed a difference in sound. There was a weird reverb and sounded a bit louder on one. Unsure whether it was my mind playing tricks.I did a quick oscilloscope measurement between the 2 cables, and then added a 3rd in the mix.

I used the built in tone generator @ 1khz and 2.5V. connected to tip and ring 2 on balanced jack and right and left on cup connectors. Is there anything in this and why would they be different?

IMG20210630203024~2.jpg

IMG20210630201003~2.jpg
IMG20210630202412~2.jpg

solderdude

Grand Contributor
connector issue ?
Cable is broken ?

I would start by measuring DC resistance.

Cables cannot and do not sound different, Certainly not at 1kHz. The moment you get a measurable difference something is broken. Usually poor contact of one of the wires.

OP
F

faheem

Forum Donor
connector issue ?
Cable is broken ?

I would start by measuring DC resistance.

Cables cannot and do not sound different, Certainly not at 1kHz. The moment you get a measurable difference something is broken. Usually poor contact of one of the wires.

Yeah, I don't believe in sound changing due to cable, unless its broken. The question is which is broken, if all 3 are giving me that much of a variation?

The resistance were close, capacitance was different. I'll measure them again and get actual numbers.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
capacitance is of no influence (nor inductance) for headphones.
Only resistance is (when substantial in the common return wire)

Chances are the cables measure fine with a meter (and holding probes against the connectors) but the connectors may not make proper contact with the sockets. I regularly have these kind of issues which show themselves when wiggling the connector around.

OP
F

faheem

Forum Donor
I have a 2nd cable from the same manufacturer. Less than half the resistance. The original was 0.9 Ohm , second cable is 0.3 Ohm. I've tried wiggling connector, Haven't noticed anything. will stick with cable with lower resistance.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
There was a weird reverb and sounded a bit louder on one. Unsure whether it was my mind playing tricks.
A broken ground will create a "center-channel vocal removal" effect which will often leave some vocal reverb. It will also remove the centered bass and anything else that's identical and in-phase both channels. But the left & right channels should be identical.

The original was 0.9 Ohm , second cable is 0.3 Ohm. I've tried wiggling connector, Haven't noticed anything. will stick with cable with lower resistance.
Almost 1 Ohm is not normal but low resistance measurements are tricky and unreliable if you don't have a 4-wire Ohmmeter.

OP
F

faheem

Forum Donor
capacitance is of no influence (nor inductance) for headphones.
Only resistance is (when substantial in the common return wire)

Chances are the cables measure fine with a meter (and holding probes against the connectors) but the connectors may not make proper contact with the sockets. I regularly have these kind of issues which show themselves when wiggling the connector around.

Curiousity got the better of me. I machined the jack plug off and found this.

The glue was holding it in place, rather than solder. Thanks for your help and @DVDdoug
IMG20210703063701.jpg

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Nothing a new connector cannot solve fortunately.
At least the mystery is solved.
Intermittent and poor contacts can be a real pain.

Top Bottom