• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cable management

vco1

Like - as I assume - in many setups, my equipment is placed in less than ideal conditions. TV, audio and video streamers, amps and DAC all share more or less the same space. That is, the devices are relatively far apart, but cables are all stuck in the same small place behind the furniture: power (power blocks, power supplies, mains cables), audio (balanced), coax, usb, ethernet...

As I wrote in another topic, my Audiophonics amps are far from quiet. Which might be because of this cable spaghetti.

As there is very limited space, what would be the best way to avoid interference? Are there solutions to actually separate different type of cables physically (I haven't found them yet)? What should be, or must be, shielded? Any tips? Or shouldn't this spaghetti not a problem?

AlmaAtaKZ

I have done two things:

1. Use cables that are only as long as needed. Cut to length if needed, including power cables (re-fit the plug). This avoids the need to hide the surplus cabling.
2. Use a mesh sleeve to put various cables inside one sleeve. IME this did not lead to any audible interference.

Last edited:

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
I have stapled velcro across the back of shelves to give a easy way to position things. Try to have power cables cross signal cables at right angles. Of course, fiber is immune. You can do things like take power cables down, and signal cables up, or right and left.

As Alam said, shorter is better.

Midwest Blade

1. Cable length - I coil any excess to neatly fit behind a unit of hide behind a shelf. Simple twist tie to keep it together. Custom fit cables can also be a solution.
2. Cable Mgmt - I picked up a coiled plastic roll years ago that I am able to spead open and insert cable, I have cut outlets that allow me to lead out the connectors, this is cut to length to fit. Not entirely sure but I think it came from IKEA about 20 years ago and was from their home office assortment. I sort of gave up trying to keep my home office cables in order as my wife and I used the same space and between our two laptops and assorted equipment it was easier just to keep things out in the open. Audio gear at my place is a bit more static.
3. I have a power strip with surge protector which I can use for my audio rack and also plug in my Quad ESL speakers. DO NOT FALL for audiophile nonsense when it comes to power connections.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This was a couple of years ago. I am pleased to announce it has got worse since then.

Its a laissez faire approach to cable management.

IMG_20160808_111847215.jpg

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Like - as I assume - in many setups, my equipment is placed in less than ideal conditions. TV, audio and video streamers, amps and DAC all share more or less the same space. That is, the devices are relatively far apart, but cables are all stuck in the same small place behind the furniture: power (power blocks, power supplies, mains cables), audio (balanced), coax, usb, ethernet...

As I wrote in another topic, my Audiophonics amps are far from quiet. Which might be because of this cable spaghetti.

As there is very limited space, what would be the best way to avoid interference? Are there solutions to actually separate different type of cables physically (I haven't found them yet)? What should be, or must be, shielded? Any tips? Or shouldn't this spaghetti not a problem?

Always separate power and signal/speaker cables. NEver run them together

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

This degaussing coil is a good demonstration of a electromagnetic field given off by coils of wire with AC current in them. I had one customer that neatly coiled up his wires and zip tied them all together nicely and then found his system was not working properly. So I went over because the guy spent about CDN $15K on a actuated satellite reception system, video stuff and a audio system. I found the coil he made and promptly randomly arranged the wires loosely and voila it all worked as it should.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor

First you need to find the source. What kind of noise? If its not 60hz hum and harmonics then your not picking up EM from power cords. If it is its more likely a ground loop. If you short your inputs do get the same noise? Since the opposite currents and voltages are close together in a power cord (and also in ICs and speaker wire) most of the EM field is between the 2 conductors so very little external field. And easy enough to measure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom