• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cable Management and Power Conditioning

Hi All,

I recently upgraded my system with new speakers and I wanted to know whether there are some simple cable management things I should do to improve my setup.

My setup is in my signature. Some notes:

The speakers are bi-amped from a Denon X2300W receiver.

The DAC is located near the listening position, with a long RCA cable running from the DAC to the receiver. The cable runs on the carpet.

The power strip is located under the table in that black box. So really, the only power cables next to the speaker cables are the cable coming off the power strip, and what it's connected to, which is that power extension laying on the floor (With the apple power cable also connected), that then goes to the wall.

Part of the reason that everything is the way that it is is because it is a standing desk.

I have heard things about raising cables off of the ground and about audio cables not touching power cables. I was thinking of buying some cable guides that I could screw into the wall to life them off the floor, if it makes sense.

I personally don't hear distortions in the static of my speakers when nothing is playing so I'm not sure I need to do anything, but just making sure.

I was also thinking of picking this up: What do you guys think?

Any helpful ideas appreciated.

Attachments

• left side.jpg
    left side.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 99
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 95
  • right side.jpg
    right side.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 93
  • dac.jpg
    dac.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 96

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’d just tidy up the cabling and call it a day. Cables ties are cheap :)

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I would try to get the receiver up off the ground to reduce ingress of dust, try to separate 240v cabling from audio cables and that's about it. Looks pretty good already!

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I have heard things about raising cables off of the ground
NOT this. It's BS.
and about audio cables not touching power cables
This.
It is "common best practice" to not have them run parallel any closer than 6" and ideally to cross at 90º... For shorter runs it's not likely an issue, but longer runs could maybe present a problem. (By longer runs, I'm talking about probably over 25' of cabling... If you are running longer cabling runs through walls and along a ceiling or floor to reach a longer distance, absolutely keep power lines and signal cables apart.)

I've seldom seen a good case being made for any power conditioner. Some of them even limit the current that can pass through them.

FWIW, my left Sub has it's RG-6 cable running along some power cables and right next to a surge protector and there is no interference I can detect. Sometimes, you just cant help it and have to run with it. My Left Surround follows a similar path and again, no issues.

Midnight Audiophile

I like the Furman PL-8C. I bought one used on eBay for about $90. I have two of their $30-40 power strips also. The strips are built well with a stout metal housing. It's a toss up between Furman and Tripp-Lite to me. And yes, I'm skeptical for the need of any power conditioning.

What I like about the PL-8C is the ergonomics of using it on my coffee-table. I've added switches to the back so I can power on and off components in sequence. It has a good breaker which I've tripped a couple of times, plus there's a plug on the front I can use for soldering iron, heat gun, Dremel, whatever.

Aesthetically, I like the pull out lights. I put a red lenses on mine made from Rubylith but also made some blue ones from pet med prescription containers.
IMG_4487.jpg

leo_85

As I see it, you have a lot of messy cords around your desk. Messy cables can cause confusion and lead to technical problems. Try to use these cable management boxes, which are a useful tool for keeping cables organized and tidy, helping to conceal unsightly cords and prevent tangling or damage.

Top Bottom