• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cable differences are real

JSmith

Master Contributor
We really do need a laughing emoji for post responses.
Yep... forum should have more emojis/smilies... Xenforo has heaps more available @BDWoody @AdamG247.
1622771669991.png

JSmith

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I read that paper right, they're comparing a balanced and an unbalanced cable, and acknowledge that the different circuit topologies lead to measurably different noise and distortion measurements. In the usual "further research is warranted" remarks, they suggest someone repeats the experiment with a switch box that allows comparing different single-ended cables.

Thanks for catching that "nuance." Comparing an rca-rca cable to an xlr-xlr cable completely ruins the paper. Yes they were able to demonstrate audible differences in blinded A/B tests across a listener group, BUT we cannot necessarily attribute that effect to the cables because the electronics were also different. I'm bewildered by the experimental design. Why not just compare RCA interconnects and keep the experiment clean?

Vhond

My first comment would be, "Not this guy again.". The quality of his work does not match the credentials. My second comment would be, absent any real research to publish something about, he had to come up with something, and this was easy. My third comment is, this is university student level work, not professor work.

Actually I believe he developed a methodology that may test for the temporal resolution capabilities of human hearing, but given how many holes other researchers blew in it, perhaps may is providing too much credit.

Can you prove your comments?
Where are the 'holes other researchers blew in it'?

BluesDaddy

Thanks for catching that "nuance." Comparing an rca-rca cable to an xlr-xlr cable completely ruins the paper. Yes they were able to demonstrate audible differences in blinded A/B tests across a listener group, BUT we cannot necessarily attribute that effect to the cables because the electronics were also different. I'm bewildered by the experimental design. Why not just compare RCA interconnects and keep the experiment clean?
Because they started with the conclusion they wanted to prove and designed a test to prove it?

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Because they started with the conclusion they wanted to prove and designed a test to prove it?
Yes, there are two PhD's (in other fields) both skilled in writing long impressive papers. From time to time they write audiophile papers and blogs. They start from a conclusion and only examine evidence that supports their conclusion.

audio2design

Major Contributor
Yes, there are two PhD's (in other fields) both skilled in writing long impressive papers. From time to time they write audiophile papers and blogs. They start from a conclusion and only examine evidence that supports their conclusion.

I think I know at least one of whom you speak, it that the "intellect" that wrote that piece on micro timing and turntables that was complete nonsense?

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/milan-kunchur.522/

That will get you started. Classic case of Dunning Kruger. He may be great at physics but lacks the self awareness to realize his own limitations.

I don't believe what you're referring to is strictly the Dunning-Kruger effect. Dunning-Kruger would exist if the subject's incompetence in a specific field prevented him from understanding just how incompetent he is in that same field. Dunning-Kruger is NOT overestimation of competence in one field due to established competence in a different field (although I will say that this latter phenomenon appears to exist here... Maybe you should name it and publish it!)

audio2design

Major Contributor
I don't believe what you're referring to is strictly the Dunning-Kruger effect. Dunning-Kruger would exist if the subject's incompetence in a specific field prevented him from understanding just how incompetent he is in that same field. Dunning-Kruger is NOT overestimation of competence in one field due to established competence in a different field (although I will say that this latter phenomenon appears to exist here... Maybe you should name it and publish it!)

I think technically it is still Dunning Kruger, but yes, I feel the nuance of success in one field creating super ego should carry a further definition. There probably is one already. Narcissism? Narcissist personality disorder? ... This is a problem that afflicts many of a particular audiophile bent. Having the money to afford nice things has inflated their ego and belief in their abilities.

dc655321

Major Contributor
If I read that paper right, they're comparing a balanced and an unbalanced cable, and acknowledge that the different circuit topologies lead to measurably different noise and distortion measurements. In the usual "further research is warranted" remarks, they suggest someone repeats the experiment with a switch box that allows comparing different single-ended cables.

The paper is "in press".
Reinforcing my bewilderment at what gets published in the JAES... :facepalm:

Rip City Dave

What if Dunning and Kruger were both incompetent?

I propose a new theory: The Dunder -Mifflin effect

OP
mansr

mansr

Major Contributor
The paper is "in press".
Reinforcing my bewilderment at what gets published in the JAES... :facepalm:
I suspect anything that perpetuates the possibility of expensive audio items (i.e. what the members sell) being beneficial is automatically accepted. It's basically Stereophile dressed up to look sciencey.

Top Bottom