• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cable between ChromeCast Audio and Resonessence Labs Concero DAC ?

HakanAker

Hi everyone,
I am wondering if it is possible to connect my chromecast audio to my Resonessence Labs Concero DAC , and if it is possible what kinda cable i need to use? What kinda cable can be used for that 'DIGITAL ' connection to the Chromecast Audio ( since I use the RCAs toconnect the DAC to my amplifier...
10812concero1.jpg

Last edited:

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Depending on how you use it the digital output will change from output to input. If you have it connected to a USB power brick the spdif will change to an input. Then you can use a converter to connect the CCA to it. A convoluted way to do it. A different DAC with proper inputs would be a better choice from my perspective. (But then I'm a cheap bastard with an amp/dac that cost 1/6th with plenty of ins and outs)

Last edited:

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
You need a toslink to spdif converter, something like https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Tendak-Bi-Directional-Converter-Splitter/dp/B06XCTGZFT

You will then need a mini toslink to toslink cable to go between the chromecast and the converter, and a digital cable between the converter and dac.
There is however a small problem depending on the use case of the DAC. The question is if the OP uses it connected to a computer or not.

Taken from the Concero website:
USB DAC mode
To use these two USB host modes, connect the USB of CONCERO to the USB Host (use a High Speed USB port, not a Full Speed USB port). Connect your analog input pre-amplifier to the analog output ports on CONCERO HD, – or – connect your SPDIF input pre-amplfier to the SPDIF output on CONCERO HD. On CONCERO HP connect the Headphone to the output socket, (ensure the volume level on your player application is not too high!) HD and HP Models: DSD64 and DSD128 using DoP protocol version 1.1 Apple Remote IR sensor for USB HID Control. (Play/Pause, Prev/Next track) Data Lock indication with Blue LED illumination SPDIF DAC mode Please note: External USB based Charger is needed for power supply. To use this mode, connect the USB of CONCERO to a power-only USB port. (Such as are commonly used to charge cell phones). Because CONCERO will not find an active USB Host on such a connection, it will switch to SPDIF DAC mode. Connect your SPIDIF output from your digital music source to the SPDIF port on CONCERO, connect your analog input pre-amplifier to the analog output ports on CONCERO.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is however a small problem depending on the use case of the DAC. The question is if the OP uses it connected to a computer or not.

Taken from the Concero website:
The OP was asking about Chromecast to DAC, not USB.

OP
H

HakanAker

I have another question, how about connecting the chromecast audio to a mac mini ? (and the mac mini is connected to the dac thru usb),can I useone of the audio ports of themac mini? If I can,what kinda cableI need ? and sonically do you think this will make sense?
mrm5Z.jpg

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
I have another question, how about connecting the chromecast audio to a mac mini ? (and the mac mini is connected to the dac thru usb),can I useone of the audio ports of themac mini? If I can,what kinda cableI need ? and sonically do you think this will make sense?
Ok I will make an assumption first.
You should use the concero as a dac from your mac and the concero to you amp/speakers playing music stored on the mac mini or streamed music from some streaming service.

The concero can not both use the USB and the coaxial as an input (to connect the CCA)
What you can do is to connect the CCA to the Audio in port (using the green cable that's in the box), letting the MAC Mini do the ADC conversion, and the reconvert it on the concero DAC. You going to need some software to mange the analogue input and routing it to the concero. You also are not getting a bit perfect transfer of the audio since you go from DAC (CCA) to ADC (MAC Mini) to DAC (concero)

In that case why would you use the CCA? Makes no sense, unless you need the apps/services for the CCA, but then you have the wrong type of dac (concero)

The CCA is a streamer that you control thru apps. The CCA connects to the service (on premise or cloud) and convert the data stream to digital (optical out) or to an analogue signal to an amp/speakers/headphone. The only use I can see is to use the concero in SPDIF DAC mode not connected to the MAC Mini at all. Connecting the CCA thru an optical to coaxial converter (see post above) to the concero using apps to control the CCA. But that's a convoluted usage.

Best of both worlds: get a Topping D30, connect it to the MAC Mini and connect the CCA to the D30 using a toslink cable. Cheap version: Sell the concero and only use the CCA conneced to you amp/speakers.

PS
English not my native language, hope I get the point across
DS

OP
H

HakanAker

MOOndancer your assumption was correct , thats exactly the way I use my dac and mac mini. Iam aware the dac is not the right type ,thats because I bought the dac long time ago and the CCA is an recent addition.I actually have 2 CCAs and I am planning to play the audio files on another system with Airfoil software and send the same files to this ( Resonessence Labs Concero DAC +mac mini+ CCA)system. I know with the help of CCAs i can do this...since i believe the converter in Resonessence Labs DAC is better than CCAs ,I was looking for a solution...Topping D30 looks interesting and selling the Res. Dac is also a good idea . I am on a vacation now and I will be dealing with this soon. Thank you for your suggestions. Take Care, H.

gvl

Major Contributor
You could find an inexpensive used USB audio interface (eg Edirol UA-1EX) that has a Toslink input and get the bit-perfect digital stream out of the CCA to your Mac. You would then need an app to route this stream out to the Concero DAC. I'm Mac illiterate but I know I can do this with JRiver on Windows.

Last edited:

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
.since i believe the converter in Resonessence Labs DAC is better than CCAs ,I was looking for a solution
From the things I've learned, you won't hear any difference between the CCA and the Concero. Unless we can have some measurements or ABX testing, your statement is just an opinion. I would sell the Concero and try with only the CCAs first. ;)

Have a great vacation

OP
H

HakanAker

It will be fun to compare the CCA with the Concero...and I surely will.But I am curious you don"t think we can hear meaningful differences between two dacs?

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
It will be fun to compare the CCA with the Concero...and I surely will.But I am curious you don"t think we can hear meaningful differences between two dacs?
Ok, this is MY opinion. Any DAC should be transparent I E not color or alter the incoming data, just converting it to an electrical signal that then gets amplified and move the transducer(Speakers). Anything that have more than 90dB Sinad (probably even less) should sound the same. It's still one of the big debates here but unless you do a proper ABX test you can't be sure. Especially since it seems that a lot of the power amps we use to our speakers have way higher noise floor. (According to the tests done here on this site)
But then again it's always nice to have as good as possible signal into your amp so that you don't add any more noise into the signal chain. Just to make sure. I'm a lot more pragmatic. I have a DAC/headphone amp with plenty of outs and ins. It's connected to one of my CCAs via toslink and connected via rca to my amp & speakers. It's cheap, decently built and have a knob for easy volume adjustment. I can't hear any difference between it and the analogue out from the CCA.

OP
H

HakanAker

I have a q for you about the CCA. Is it possible to play the flac files on a hard disc/ or on a computer thru CCA? I have a software for that Airfoil' but since Iam away from home I have not tested that yet. ( Computer Harddisc--->CCA----->Amplifier)

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
I have a q for you about the CCA. Is it possible to play the flac files on a hard disc/ or on a computer thru CCA? I have a software for that Airfoil' but since Iam away from home I have not tested that yet. ( Computer Harddisc--->CCA----->Amplifier)
lmgtfy ;)

Airfoil FAQ

Yes, no problem.

Top Bottom