• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buying B-stock speakers /studio monitors

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Is it worth taking the risk for a small discount ?
( i was basically told all are customer returns with slight use marks)
What's your experience with B-stock?

rynberg

Forum Donor
I have tried b-stock from Crutchfield and purchased b-stock from a Revel dealer. My experiences:

1. JBL HDI-1600 had some very minor scratches on the glossy bottom of the speaker. Irrelevant and otherwise flawless.

2. Revel M106 was flawless, still in plastic.

3. Revel S16 (from dealer) was flawless as far as I could tell

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My experiences with many products and even a pair of Genelec monitors were great too and I have the impression that often it is just a trick from the dealers (or even the Harman group itself who often does so) to shift brand new never used stuff with a heavy discounted price.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

I have bought 9 JBL speakers (3x708P and 6x705P) on B-Stock sale, and haven't had any problems.
For JBL, it was a savings of 50%.

I'll happily buy more if they ever show up there again.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My experience is much the same. B stock can be anything from manufacturer's excess stock sold as B stock so as not to devalue the brand and their dealers stock, very minor cosmetic errors (One load of B stock I bought was declared B stock as the printing on the cartons was a little less crisp than normal) sometimes customer returns with or without any very minor marks.

No reputable manufacturer will risk any faulty, damaged or clearly scruffy product going out as B stock as this will impact customer reaction to the brand.

S.

weasels

I've bought quite a few things b-stock from crutchfield and they have almost always been perfect (one time the box said the item was white but the actual item inside was black - crutchfield offered to exchange but i decided i liked the black better).

I bought open box from best buy and it was missing all but the item itself. no manuals or remote.

samysound

seems like there is a broad variation in the definition of b-stock the product conditions that are sold as such. In some cases is it obvious the product is labeled as "b-stock" or "open box" so that the inventory can be moved at a discounted price. However, sometimes speakers that are used for in-home/in-studio demo or rental are sold as "b-stock". In this latter case I would be more cautious as the use history is more nebulous and driver damage/defects may not be apparent without measuring test tones, distortion etc.

Rockdog

I bought some original B stock Revel 228be's from a dealer employee that owned them for a year. Even used they are flawless, cabinet and all, except for a tiny dark spot on one of the woofers. Maybe the circumference of a pencil. Ceramic layer is fine and smooth, and no way to see it unless you're really looking. No way does it affect the sound.. At more that half off retail it was a killer deal! Yes to B stock, especially if there's a return policy.

warthor

Because of warranty issues I would be wary to buy speakers with active components on b stock unless the warranty is the same. In all likelihood you won’t have any issues but if you do speakers are just so costly you want to be protected. Or at least that is how I think about it.

hege

Forum Donor
Hehe I bought a pair of B-stock RCF HD32-A MK4's, to try out at a party and anyway since people seem to like it and it has an unusually low 700hz crossover. Well both speakers play nothing but shrill highs, atleast woofers are blown or amps. I guess someone "tested" them pretty good before me... :p I also received headphones with channels blown in the past, Thomann really should step up with testing returned items..

Frgirard

Major Contributor
My kh420 are a B-stock. The warranty is the same as a new model.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My kh420 are a B-stock. The warranty is the same as a new model.

Where did you find such an offer? In the US it's difficult to find any in-stock 420's at all, much less b-stock sales

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Hehe I bought a pair of B-stock RCF HD32-A MK4's, to try out at a party and anyway since people seem to like it and it has an unusually low 700hz crossover. Well both speakers play nothing but shrill highs, atleast woofers are blown or amps. I guess someone "tested" them pretty good before me... :p I also received headphones with channels blown in the past, Thomann really should step up with testing returned items..
I was hoping for some B-stock KH310 from Thomann but now I'm not so sure anymore :facepalm:

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I bought my subwoofer as an "open box" from Thomann, it was absolutely mint, so no complaints. :)

I think there's very little risk if you're bying from a reputable dealer; if when it arrives it's unnacceptibly scruffy, or actually faulty, you should be able to return it.

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think there's very little risk if you're bying from a reputable dealer; if when it arrives it's unnacceptibly scruffy, or actually faulty, you should be able to return it.
I agree - e.g. Thomann post-sales support has IME been really good and returns were never an issue for me. A B-stock item I bought there previously was also without any issue.

hege

Forum Donor

Yeah the only problem is I drove a lot getting the packages, unpacking, settingup, then I couldn't even use them.. uggh so aggravating. Now I have to do all in reverse.

Other speaker was even missing the powercon cable... I thought I was smart and ordered some extra connectors, but didn't expect speakers not working.. uggh

Top Bottom