• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

buying an internet domain: help needed

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
I may want to buy a domain to put my "CV-information" on it.
Any suggestions regarding this?
What is the costs etc. ?

Zoomer

If it's only for your CV and related info I wouldn't bother with a website: linkedin.com

D

Deleted member 65

I am on have been on Linkedin for a long time, but I want something "bigger"/"more flexible".
I want to have a link (to a personal website) with more information on me on Linkedin.
I had a link to my home page at a University (where I have studied), but they recently closed all personal web pages and will never reopen them.

Just search ”buy domain country” country equals your country

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
wordpress.com -for the web hosting
wordpress.com/domains -for the domain purchase details
wordpress.org -for free web site building software.
all in one service....

battopi

I am on have been on Linkedin for a long time, but I want something "bigger"/"more flexible".
I want to have a link (to a personal website) with more information on me on Linkedin.
I had a link to my home page at a University (where I have studied), but they recently closed all personal web pages and will never reopen them.

Look into WIX.COM for hosting and godaddy.com for actual purchase of domain name.

Taxi

Unless you like getting upsold to the max, I would avoid GoDaddy.

I have a simple domain from Google (domains.google.com) and have been very happy with it.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have been doing this professionally for a few years and cost really depends on what you want. Fancy domain names can be very pricey. Godaddy is ok for the initial search and purchase. You can transfer the domain from them inexpensively. Web hosting is where the major cost is and for a simple site would avoid wordpress. Check out hostgator or bluehost (sister companies btw). They may be able to bundle in a simple domain too.

Wix, wordpress, weebly and a few others can do inexpensively, but usually lack any real customer support. May not seem like a big deal, but if you need a transfer or get hacked, it can be worth spending a bit more. Plan to be hacked btw as there are more enough bots on the net just trying to find vulnerabilities to be exploited.

Hope this helps. :)

Top Bottom