• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buying advice - DAC/AMP

FriEnemy

Hello and first of all I do hope I am posting this in the right place.

I am new to the game so do not have a lot of experience in choosing the right equipment so I am turning to the most experienced out of you for some advice.

Current Setup -
Sennheiser HD660s , Sennheiser HD58x, AKG K371 all driven by Earmen Tr-AMP.

Because I am not really THAT satisfied by the Tr-AMP, I am looking to upgrade to a better driving system. I have seen so many options that only contributed to my confusion. A50S + D50S ; SMSL SU9,SH9; magnius + modius ; potentially upcoming a30pro etc...

In the future I plan to get a Focal Clear or Sennheiser HD800s.
I mainly listen to all types of music with emphasis on rock, classical, lots of soundtracks, anything with good vocals.

Considering all of the above, would love to get a dac/amp recommendation that could satisfy my current and future needs.
My budget would be 500-700EUR. Location EUROPE.

Thank you all in advance.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Why aren't you satisfied with Earmen Tr-AMP? I mean I don't like bald guy running the show but that doesn't mean I will judge his products unfairly.
Tr-AMP has a problem with EMI, all of little ones mostly do. Tr-AMP only has it more than most the curtsy of Ti used AMP which has a low rejection rate to it. This is easily fixable by inserting a layer of isolation material such as graphite inside (as its a flask design it's fixable). Do you want again to go portable, battery powered or semi portable or rather desktop (stationary)? Where are you from if you don't mind?

OP
F

FriEnemy

Why aren't you satisfied with Earmen Tr-AMP? I mean I don't like bald guy running the show but that doesn't mean I will judge his products unfairly.
Tr-AMP has a problem with EMI, all of little ones mostly do. Tr-AMP only has it more than most the curtsy of Ti used AMP which has a low rejection rate to it. This is easily fixable by inserting a layer of isolation material such as graphite inside (as its a flask design it's fixable). Do you want again to go portable, battery powered or semi portable or rather desktop (stationary)? Where are you from if you don't mind?

Thanks for your reply. I do like the Tr-AMP but there are a couple of things that seem to be lacking. 1) I think it is underpowered for hd660s and for my future plans. 2) i would like to be able to use the 4.4mm that I have on my hd660s.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Should be around 80 mV at 150 ohm's according to spec list which should be more than enough for hd660s but that's its limit anyway (150 Ohm's). OK so you want balanced out and that it is 4.4 mm one, which could be a problem as 4.4 mm one's are used on portable gear. What else do you really, really want? And think carefully (looks, functionality and cetera). How do you intend to use it (at home, static or portable). Portable one's are at the best good for up to 300 Ohm's can's (no matter if it's a balanced or unbalanced design).

OP
F

FriEnemy

Should be around 80 mV at 150 ohm's according to spec list which should be more than enough for hd660s but that's its limit anyway (150 Ohm's). OK so you want balanced out and that it is 4.4 mm one, which could be a problem as 4.4 mm one's are used on portable gear. What else do you really, really want? And think carefully (looks, functionality and cetera). How do you intend to use it (at home, static or portable). Portable one's are at the best good for up to 300 Ohm's can's (no matter if it's a balanced or unbalanced design).

I am under the impression that investing into a better equipment would eventually make my headphones sound better. I keep hearing people talking about "Senn HD6XX series scale better with more powerful amps" hence my impression. I guess I could forget about the 4.4 as beside the reason that I want to take advantage of the cable that I came with the HD660s I have none.

Leaving that aside, I am taking this opportunity to buy a static desktop setup for home as my plan is to carry around the TR-AMP with me @ the office and in business travels once the bans will lift later on this year...hopefully.

I hope this provides you with more insight :)

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am under the impression that investing into a better equipment would eventually make my headphones sound better. I keep hearing people talking about "Senn HD6XX series scale better with more powerful amps" hence my impression. I guess I could forget about the 4.4 as beside the reason that I want to take advantage of the cable that I came with the HD660s I have none.

Leaving that aside, I am taking this opportunity to buy a static desktop setup for home as my plan is to carry around the TR-AMP with me @ the office and in business travels once the bans will lift later on this year...hopefully.

I hope this provides you with more insight :)
Sennheiser 300-Ohm HD600/HD650/HD6XX seem to do best with a $500 tube (OTL) headphone amplifier.
Your current headphones are more likely to do best with a solid state head amp.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Well you should not divert from balanced as it has some benefits (better separation, a bit higher SINAD and no interference from cables) disregarding of the cable you got with HD660S.

See how the SMSL M300 MKII suit's you as a DAC. It's around 200$ (eventually couple $ more) and available from Amazon and Aliexpress (what suits you better and it's available where you are). It's not amazing but it's rather good and future proof one. There are couple of 100$ unbalanced but rather very good hedaphone Amp's mesured around hire so just pick one. I suppose JDS Atom will be more available than Schiit-y ones in EU.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-of-new-jds-labs-atom-headphone-amp.5262/
If you want to go the path of tube Amp's I would suggest you to take a look at Loxjie P20. Of course you will need to swap Chinese J6 tubes to good AMG or Ei one's (Ei-Niš). If you want all in one up to 300 Ohm's and don't mind using it by hand and with PC without remote take a look at Creative SBX G6 which is around 130$ this day's (Amazon).
Regarding portable you could take a look at mid range DAP like Hidizs R3Pro but i don't know would it have enough power (balanced 2.5 mm out) for 150 Ohm's can's (it should but I would recommend that you try it first) that's around 200$.
Think again what you need, those are just my humble proposals and guidelines.

Top Bottom