• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buyer's Remorse

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
https://arstechnica.com/information...igence-make-enterprise-hybrid-storage-better/

In time with all the options we'll all need our own AI decision making helpers. Off load the stress and the choice. Which will be an additional layer of abstraction which one will need to acquire the skill to deploy.

In my work late in my career, I had multiple multi-faceted decisions to make impacting many people and lots of other important conditions. If the decision has to be made quickly, and I can come up with 3 plausible choices you just make the choice and tell yourself you didn't make the worst one possible. On other choices with more time and lots of very closely spaced possibilities I'd go random. Literally a weighted coin flip. When it gets to where you can't choose, at some point making a choice becomes far more important than which choice you make. So randomly choosing among 20 closely ranked possibilities just choose and move on.

The worst ones to me personally, and I don't think it surprising or insightful really, is when the choice that was best was very clear, and you made it, and some unforeseen event caused a horrible result. I had to defend it to others, and they don't want to hear how the problem was created by something incredibly unlikely. They are just up in arms about the bad outcome. Something you have to learn how to live with emotionally because usually everyone else won't.

Also trying is seeing someone force a clearly stupid choice given the situation and facts only to come out smelling like a rose. I have to admit I've a special hatred for people who benefit from that. The height of unfairness. But life really isn't fair is it?

Cosmik

Major Contributor
It's all about imagination. Some people don't have any, so they blunder through life without any regrets - if you can't imagine what life could have been like if you'd chosen differently, you can't regret what you choose. And if you can't imagine what it would be like to choose wrongly and how it would hurt, you don't have any problem making a snap decision. Sometimes it pays off and such apparent decisiveness and fearlessness brings great success, but often such people end up in the gutter with no real idea why.

I read a 1950s essay once, whose title and author I can't remember, that made this point.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
The height of unfairness. But life really isn't fair is it?

'Fair is where they judge the pigs'

My kids have grown up hearing that, as I did. Expecting life to be fair is a sure path to disappointment.

Top Bottom