• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buy several DAC's from Amazon, test & return

gustavjung

Hi,
I am just curious have anyone done this before? Is it possible or I will have problems?
I just want to purchase 3 DAC's from Amazon Spain, blind test them and leave only 1, returning the 2 others.

OP
G

gustavjung

I just want to do it once :) Didn't return anything before. How much stuff have you returned?

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Clearly too much.

Two outta three shouldn't trigger their return-o-radar though.

BobbyTimmons

Hi,
I am just curious have anyone done this before? Is it possible or I will have problems?
I just want to purchase 3 DAC's from Amazon Spain, blind test them and leave only 1, returning the 2 others.
Don't all DACs almost sound the same anyway? The more important thing is what connections they have, and how long and reliably they last - which sadly isn't something we can blind test for

BobbyTimmons

Why don't you just get a DAC among those measured here?
Measurements still don't tell you how reliable and long lasting they will be, which is the main consideration when buying a DAC (as I doubt many of us could tell most DACs apart in blind testing). I'd be reluctant to buy from Amazon just because I prefer a 5 year plus warranty. What's Amazon's warranty policy like? (I guess you can buy a 2 year warranty from them?)

Reactions: PSO

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Measurements still don't tell you how reliable and long lasting they will be, which is the main consideration when buying a DAC (as I doubt many of us could tell most DACs apart in blind testing). I'd be reluctant to buy from Amazon just because I prefer a 5 year plus warranty. What's Amazon's warranty policy like? (I guess you can buy a 2 year warranty from them?)
You are right but they might not die in a few days.

BobbyTimmons

I generally prefer Richer Sounds to Amazon, simply because you can get a 6 year warranty for 10% of the cost of the equipment you purchase. Things like DACs are a much of a muchness in terms of their sound (they sound almost the same), but not necessarily in terms of their reliability.

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Speaking from a fairly large sample (100s) over the years... if electronics do not have infant mortality or DOA, they last for years. The exception to this rule is laser assemblies on CD/HDCD/DVD players-they can go out after only a few (5 +/-) years.

It sucks to have a several thousand dollar boat anchor with no replacement available!

Reactions: PSO
Top Bottom