• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

But will it work with my Chromebox? (Solved, bought a PC)

Tunemonger

Anyone have any experience using a dac or dac/amp with a Chromebox? I'd like to buy one but it's hard to know which will work with my Asus CN60 Chromebox. The only dac company that told me they tried their dac and it worked is Audioengine. But I'd like to buy one of the units Amir recommends. Topping, JDS, Schiit and others have told me 'they don't know."

Last edited:

nightfishing

Well, not sure if this helps lol

I plugged my Khadis Tone Board into my Chromebox and the system recognized it and Roon would play to it, but I didn't get any sound.

It would seem that any usb dac that runs on linux without drivers will show up, but I'm not sure why no sound. I didn't try it on any other app besides Roon (my bad). My hunch is that on the Chromebox, Roon is running on Android and I am not sure there is any way to set audio devices on Android (on CrOS).
If I get a chance I'll swap everything back and see if native Chrome will output correctly.

So...good news bad news LOL

OP
T

Tunemonger

Thanks, NF, I broke down and replaced my chromebox with a used pc, an i3 I found for $80. Now I can get any Dac/amp I want (within $ limits).

Hypnotoad

Thanks, NF, I broke down and replaced my chromebox with a used pc, an i3 I found for $80. Now I can get any Dac/amp I want (within $ limits).

I have a Topping D30 and it's amazing, the only hassle is that if you don't live in the U.S. you have to use an adapter with the power supply as it only comes with a U.S. style plug. I eventually found a power supply that was with an old modem/router I had and it works fine as the adapter didn't always give a great connection. I would be listening to it and it would shut down, you would have no problems in the U.S. though.

OP
T

Tunemonger

Hey Hypno - I've been looking at the d30 and the d10. The d30 has no LED readout, wonder why? I would pair it with a JDS Atom if I go that way, but I'm new to this and would prefer a dac/amp. Wish I could get a dx3 but so many bad units. So the NX4 is probably what I'll get. I really don't need portable, but it may come in handy. Oh yeah, I also need a headphone. Looking at HD 600 and HE-400S, is the latter really such a poor build? So I've heard. So glad I found this site, I was thinking I HAD to come up with the cash for a Chord Mojo based on all the hype and now I've found "it ain't necessarily so."

Last edited:

Hypnotoad

Hey Hypno - I've been looking at the d30 and the d10.

Hey Tunemonger, the only DAC I have is the D30 but I bet people on here would be able to guide you better than I can. All I can say is that because these DAC's are cheap it doesn't mean you lose out on SQ.

Top Bottom