• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

But Not On Our Patch. Science is Up Front, Isn't It?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
"And even worse are the ridiculous “balanced power supplies” – also isolating but raising the ground potential to half the nominal mains voltage"

This guy obviously has been carried away by his delirious attempt at derision.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I made it to half the page but had to give up. He has good points to make here and there but his anger and frustrations at the other camp gets in the way. A bit of that is fine. But what is there shows how damaging our form of written communication is online. We push each other to limits of pain and discord. It is not healthy and you have got to know when to step back.

That said, he does have some cool phrases there like this one:

The continued use of vinyl records and the discussion of expensive cartridges etc. You’re dragging a stick down a dirt track for goodness sakes.

Man that is a quick way to make enemies of the other camp. :D

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
He obviously has a problem with dipoles, which is fine, but as an owner of dipoles of one type or another for more than 30 years it made me curious, so I kept reading. I'm well aware of the strengths and weaknesses of dipoles, but when his attack became personal as it does here on Siegfried Linkwitz it completely negated anything worthwhile that he had to say. Pretty horrible stuff in my book.

So, into Room 101 with him I say.....and fill it full of multichannel active dipoles powered by SET amps :p

lostinspace.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Whew my rant meter was pegged in the red and I gave up reading too.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I gave up but realized he is slightly exaggerating for effect. But the 90% of the true issues he talks about is why I am so radically over the top negative on snake oil and anyone on ASR allowing them selves to start to believe that snake oil might have some merits. He took my lifetime of audio and distilled a lot of it into one long paper. Once you see this type of document where a huge amount of snake oil claims are brought up in one document, you realize the amount of snake oil in audio is overwhelming. It permeates so much of the entire audio community. I refer to it on this forum as some of our objectivists giving the subjectivists "lifelines" on their incorrect unscientific ideas. I recommend giving snake oil no lifeline to acceptance. I have given my anti-snake oil work to Amir and others as I have given up. You can't fix stupid and after 40 years of trying, that statement has become true in my experience. People believe in unexplained magic and nothing anyone says will change their mind. The internet and YouTube has dumbed down our society along with terrible education in our schools.
It used to be people knew they didn't know something, now they go onto YouTube and watch an idiot talk nonsense and then think they learned something. Audio equipment reviews are the worst offender.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Here is another idea that was presented to me 25 years ago. A Porsche horsepower is different from a Chevrolet horsepower. The Porsche hp is better and stronger. I could not convince this guy who was a PhD (non-science) student that he was incorrect. We decided to just disagree, as he believed that everyone should know Porsche horsepower's are more powerful. You just can't fix their lack of ANY scientific knowledge at all.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is another idea that was presented to me 25 years ago. A Porsche horsepower is different from a Chevrolet horsepower. The Porsche hp is better and stronger. I could not convince this guy who was a PhD (non-science) student that he was incorrect. We decided to just disagree, as he believed that everyone should know Porsche horsepower's are more powerful. You just can't fix their lack of ANY scientific knowledge at all.
Just as a funny fact and not to prove the guy right (which he wasn't) in the automobile past century car horsepower measured by the US SAE norm gave 15-20% higher values than by the German DIN norm due to mainly some significant differences in the measurement methodology like for example the SAE measuring the power without auxiliary consumers connected.

Top Bottom