• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bus-powered interface with at least 4 DC-coupled outputs?

SouthTwin

I've started working on a project where I think I need a bus powered (USB or TB) interface with at least 4 DC-coupled outputs, and I'm trying to spend as little as possible since this will mostly be for live performance use and I already have decent tracking interfaces (Clarett 4pre and Slate VRS8, both TB2). I'm using a windows 2-in-1 tablet laptop (Dell Latitude 7200) with two TB3 and one USB 3.0 port. I just ordered this little beaut and I'd like to be able to use at least a couple interface outputs to automate PWM and filter modulation with the CV inputs on the GRP A1 from Ableton Live 11 (I assume I can do this with Standard, haven't tried yet). Ideally I'd have enough extra outputs and monitoring options to have an IEM mix for myself (one that includes click) and a stereo mix to send to FOH (without click of course). I'm trying to do kind of a one man band thing where I sing and play guitar, with effects for both vocals and guitar happening ITB, and some drum machine/samples/VST synths happening ITB in addition to the analog GRP A1 that I may also fiddle with in real time for some parts.

I actually got a UA Volt 476 on a whim because I thought it would work well for this project, but now I've found out only the main monitor and headphone outputs are DC-coupled so no CV control on outs 3-4. I'd really like to have something that can run on USB or TB power from the laptop just to minimize power cables, and at least one XLR preamp would be nice for vocals (using Strymon Iridium for guitar so could do line in). From searching around the Arturia MiniFuse 4 seems decent and cheap but now I'm thinking I probably need at least 6 outs for the CV, IEM, and FOH duties.. then I found the MOTU Ultralite Mk4 but I only found one mention online of it having a bus-powered mode with reduced functionality (fine for me as I don't need the onboard processing), and it's super hard to find now and mk5 seems to not have the bus powered option. I see the mk3s around for cheap and I think I have the required adapters (FW800>TB2>TB3) in a drawer somewhere, but I'm not crazy about relying on rare pricey adapters and the mk3s are a bit old now so I'd worry about age-related reliability. I also thought about just keeping the Volt 476 and getting a cheap used BeatStep Pro for the CV outs, and maybe I'll find some other use for it too (a little bigger than I really want to add to this setup though). Very much appreciate any thoughts!

Last edited:

rbmusic@

Take a look at the SSL 12. All the outputs are DC Coupled (also headphones outputs), so you have 6 DC coupled outputs and routing is very very flexible, so every out has its own submix.

OP
S

SouthTwin

Take a look at the SSL 12. All the outputs are DC Coupled (also headphones outputs), so you have 6 DC coupled outputs and routing is very very flexible, so every out has its own submix.
Thanks for the tip, that hadn't been on my radar. From a quick glance it looks like the two headphone outputs can be set up with different mixes, and can even have different signals out than the line outs on the back, right? If so that's a serious step up from the other options out there, not to mention bus power...

What I really want to do is have 1) an IEM mix for me with click plus vox, instruments, etc, 2) at least a stereo out for FOH, possibly separate outs for vox, guitar, synths, and drums, and 3) at least one CV out for tempo-synced PWM on the analog synth. If the SSL 12 works how I think it does, I could use one of the headphone outs for my IEM mix, the other headphone out to FOH split into two signals (e.g. vox/gtr), line outs 1/2 for another couple to FOH (synths/drums), and still have line 3/4 out for CV control of PWM and something else if needed. Just thinking out loud here, but does that sound doable?

rbmusic@

Thanks for the tip, that hadn't been on my radar. From a quick glance it looks like the two headphone outputs can be set up with different mixes, and can even have different signals out than the line outs on the back, right? If so that's a serious step up from the other options out there, not to mention bus power...

What I really want to do is have 1) an IEM mix for me with click plus vox, instruments, etc, 2) at least a stereo out for FOH, possibly separate outs for vox, guitar, synths, and drums, and 3) at least one CV out for tempo-synced PWM on the analog synth. If the SSL 12 works how I think it does, I could use one of the headphone outs for my IEM mix, the other headphone out to FOH split into two signals (e.g. vox/gtr), line outs 1/2 for another couple to FOH (synths/drums), and still have line 3/4 out for CV control of PWM and something else if needed. Just thinking out loud here, but does that sound doable?
I bought the SSL 12 just yesterday. So far I can say I'm quite satisfied (still have a Babyface). The Babyface latency it's a bit better, but SSL preamps and line outs are good, I'd say on par as general sound quality to the RME, which is on the high tier of audio interfaces. I confirm the 2 headphone outputs can have totally different mixes (also different in their left and right channels, so 1 headphone out could give you 2 submix - left vox - right gtr), and the routing is completely indipendent from the line outs on the back.

I'd say the IEM mix in HP1 + the split signals vox/gtr in HP2 + 1/2 out to FOH + line 3/4 for CV control seems doable with no problem.

HP outs have plenty of volume, too....this tiny piece of kit seems promising, so far.

OP
S

SouthTwin

I bought the SSL 12 just yesterday. So far I can say I'm quite satisfied (still have a Babyface). The Babyface latency it's a bit better, but SSL preamps and line outs are good, I'd say on par as general sound quality to the RME, which is on the high tier of audio interfaces. I confirm the 2 headphone outputs can have totally different mixes (also different in their left and right channels, so 1 headphone out could give you 2 submix - left vox - right gtr), and the routing is completely indipendent from the line outs on the back.

I'd say the IEM mix in HP1 + the split signals vox/gtr in HP2 + 1/2 out to FOH + line 3/4 for CV control seems doable with no problem.

HP outs have plenty of volume, too....this tiny piece of kit seems promising, so far.
Vry nice! I'm getting more and tempted to give it a go and sell at least a couple of the other interfaces I've accumulated..

The only other contender for me currently is an ancient MOTU Ultralite Mk3 firewire. I found an original one for $100 obo and the updated "hybrid" for $175, and I already have the various cables and adapters to connect it to a TB3 port. I found one gearspace forum post from a few years ago where they confirmed the bus power indeed works when connected to a MBP TB3 port through the FW>TB2>TB3 cables/adapters, though I couldn't confirm how well it would work on a windows 10 setup. People seem to think MOTU gear lasts forever and even though it's a bit dated I doubt the older converters/preamps etc would bother me, and it has 8 true DC coupled outs (and onboard DSP, which I don't really need). Guess I need to decide if a few hundred extra bucks is worth it vs an older cheap option...

Is the Babyface vs SSL 12 latency noticeable in a live performance setting? I think I read that setting the SSL 12 to 96khz improves the latency specs a good bit, not sure how much that would affect tendency to glitch or crash with VST synths, realtime effects etc happening

Last edited:
OP
S

SouthTwin

Motu M4 if USB-C will work
Only 4 outs and no separate headphone mix. Could maybe set up a headphone IEM mix with outs 1/2 being the monitor, only have click on out 1, send outs 2 and 3 to FOH, then have out 4 as the sole CV. But would be 1000x easier with at least 6 outs, and none of the current MOTU options do that plus bus power

rbmusic@

YeH I wish the M6 had 6 outs
Yeah....so stupid from Motu!
The M6 has 8 mono outs / 4 stereo outs (4 line out and 2 heaphones out), exactly as the SSL12, but with the SSL you got 4 stereo mixes / 8 mono submixes / cue mixes and 8 real usable outputs, with the Motu you have only 4 outs - 2 stereo mixes (1/2 and 3/4....didn't care to check if you could split the signal and have 4 real mono mixes).

I was really disappointed with the mirrored mix to HP1 and HP2 outputs....and I think one HP out is fixed to 1/2, too....bahhh....

Dear Motu...we want flexible and useful routing options!

OP
S

SouthTwin

By the way I tried to post this earlier but made an edit and now it says it's invisible to users/awaiting moderator approval :rolleyes: so here it is again:

Vry nice! I'm getting more and tempted to give it a go and sell at least a couple of the other interfaces I've accumulated..

The only other contender for me currently is an ancient MOTU Ultralite Mk3 firewire. I found an original one for $100 obo and the updated "hybrid" for $175, and I already have the various cables and adapters to connect it to a TB3 port. I found one gearspace forum post from a few years ago where they confirmed the bus power indeed works when connected to a MBP TB3 port through the FW>TB2>TB3 cables/adapters, though I couldn't confirm how well it would work on a windows 10 setup. People seem to think MOTU gear lasts forever and even though it's a bit dated I doubt the older converters/preamps etc would bother me, and it has 8 true DC coupled outs (and onboard DSP, which I don't really need). Guess I need to decide if a few hundred extra bucks is worth it vs an older cheap option...

Is the Babyface vs SSL 12 latency noticeable in a live performance setting? I think I read that setting the SSL 12 to 96khz improves the latency specs a good bit, not sure how much that would affect tendency to glitch or crash with VST synths, realtime effects etc happening (I've mostly used 48khz in the past)

OP
S

SouthTwin

Welp I just got a basically new/open box SSL 12 for $450 with no tax or shipping, yayy. Picking it up next weekend but then going on a trip abroad and won't be able to put it through its paces til mid April, but once I get back may try to do a direct comparison video of the SSL 12 vs Volt 476, and maybe vs Clarett 4pre TB2. Hope it's gig/roadworthy as well!

Top Bottom