• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Burson Soloist 3XP Review (Headphone Amp)

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 155 64.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 66 27.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 14 5.8%

• Total voters

solderdude

Grand Contributor
OK, that's too high, but is there any reason they couldn't be much, much lower?

You could make it close to 0ohm and the output of the last line driver most likely is but these output resistors are added for 1 (or more) reason(s)
Usually pre-amps have very high bandwidths and adding a resistor at the output ensures the stability of the output stage when a high capacitance load combined with a high load resistance is present.
And there is a better matching with characteristic impedance of connected coax type cables. Not that the load will ever be even close to that anyway but is why the output resistance is chosen around that value. Sometimes they are even higher.
As most pre-amps are loaded with high impedances (well above 1k usually) those output stages also do not have to supply much current. Headphone output stages can. This can be a fundamental difference in the output stage design as well.

escalibur

Measurements and price aside, what are your thoughts about Soloist 3XP's sound compared to eg. A90? @amirm

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
Yay finally some burson!
No not like this!

From far away Melbourne Florida... I mean Victoria, Australia. Supposedly this company is founded by engineers so its hard to fathom how a $1,200 usd device performs so badly. I think any like Topping device blows this away and yet... it doesnt cost anything as much.

To me these reviews are a bit disappointing in that so much higher end designs by people who should know better are so easily undone.

It always feels like a bunch of snake oil merchants out to fool the rubes.

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
From far away Melbourne Florida... I mean Victoria, Australia. Supposedly this company is founded by engineers so its hard to fathom how a $1,200 usd device performs so badly. I think any like Topping device blows this away and yet... it doesnt cost anything as much.

To me these reviews are a bit disappointing in that so much higher end designs by people who should know better are so easily undone.

It always feels like a bunch of snake oil merchants out to fool the rubes.
Topping and to another extent, chinese-based companies will probably always have an advantage over the rest when it comes to price though.
This amplifier is quite expensive but even if they reduce their profit to the limit it is still unlikely to go down as low as what Topping can offer us.

The more valid complaint in this thread that I've seen is about the technical chops and their engineering skill. They made a cheaper amplifier called "Fun" which was more competent but somehow they made this amplifier in this fashion.... Don't know what the progress was like.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Measurements and price aside, what are your thoughts about Soloist 3XP's sound compared to eg. A90? @amirm
Unless you need the bit of extra power it has, my vote is firmly in the A90 camp.

escalibur

Unless you need the bit of extra power it has, my vote is firmly in the A90 camp.
Have you noticed any sound characteristic differences between the two?

JoetheLion

Forum Donor
Have you noticed any sound characteristic differences between the two?
I have the Burson Conductor 3 Performance and had the A90. In direct comparison, both sounded the same to me. Before you think that might not help you because everything sounds the same to me: the Matrix Mini-i Pro 3, which I also used to have, definitely did not sound as good (headphone output in each case).

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the Burson Conductor 3 Performance and had the A90. In direct comparison, both sounded the same to me. Before you think that might not help you because everything sounds the same to me: the Matrix Mini-i Pro 3, which I also used to have, definitely did not sound as good (headphone output in each case).
Likely due to the Yuge difference in output power

reasons

Looking to power a Susvara properly and cleanly without any power issues. From the measurements I’ve read, it needs over 6w to get to 120spl. Any recommendations?

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking to power a Susvara properly and cleanly without any power issues. From the measurements I’ve read, it needs over 6w to get to 120spl. Any recommendations?
a90 can struggle a bit depending upon your EQ, if any.
Schiit Rag 2 is your answer. It provides huge power, measures well and has preamp functionality. Reasonably priced (like beauty, this is subjective opinion)
If you want to unlimited, clean power, direct to a purifi amp via the speaker taps. Be careful, need a preamp and a safe power on sequence

reasons

a90 can struggle a bit depending upon your EQ, if any.
Schiit Rag 2 is your answer. It provides huge power, measures well and has preamp functionality. Reasonably priced (like beauty, this is subjective opinion)
If you want to unlimited, clean power, direct to a purifi amp via the speaker taps. Be careful, need a preamp and a safe power on sequence
The ragnarok is looking more and more likely for me, my only issue is it’s huge and it won’t fit on my desk.

asrUser

Either Schiit Jotunheim 2 or Burson Soloist.

Hemi

I use the Flux Volot to amplify the Susvara. This headphone amp was designed to meet the power requirements of the Susvara and other demanding headphones like the Abyss 1266.

600Ohm: 1W RMS per channel
300Ohm: 1.7W RMS per channel
32Ohm: 16W RMS per channel

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 145
Nah, closer to $325 based on actual parts, pcb, psu, case and country of origin.
No auguments there Australia is a high income country perhaps one of the highest wage floors in the world, so there is that. The BOM was just a "guestimate." Thanks.

Top Bottom