• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Burson Soloist 3X Performance

Sam Spade

Here is what cracked me up, I was on my other form where they are all about "everything has a sound man" they think more expensive = better sound. I think its partly true to a point.

So, they were like yea the "ESS chips back in the day had a glare to them, I didn't like them at all." LOL that's the ESS hump Amir always talks about that you are hearing, it can be pointed to in a graph, the same graph they say means nothing for real music.

Why its funny is because they would always yell at me for bringing up this form. It's like face palm. I think what it is, is that people have built these amps that cost a lot to make because they made them in their garage, turn around and sell them at a massive markup, and now you have places like this who measure this gear and go.... yea its bunk. It tossed a wrench in their apple cart. They can no longer be like, we built it on a full moon and now the soundstage and detail is wider.
Which forum?
I'm all for measurements by the way. Very informative. But listening tests are essential. Although the last 3 components I've bought and 3 pairs of headphones all based on reviews. Still very happy. Burson composer 3x, chord qutest, sparko aries, audeze LCDxc, LCD3, LCD4.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir is receiving a Burson Conductor 3X Reference to test. Look for the review in the next 30 days.

Martin

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir is receiving a Burson Conductor 3X to test. Look for the review in the next 30 days.

Martin
Yours? Burson stuff is a mystery to me. Sometimes good, sometimes not so good. Those big orange opamps! (yes, I have a pair :facepalm:)

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yours? Burson stuff is a mystery to me. Sometimes good, sometimes not so good. Those big orange opamps! (yes, I have a pair :facepalm:)

Yes. Someone posted about it in one of my threads so I decided to get one for Amir to measure. We’ll see if it’s a keeper.

Martin

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. Someone posted about it in one of my threads so I decided to get one for Amir to measure. We’ll see if it’s a keeper.

Martin
Be interested to see
I have one of their earlier dac /amps. Conductor sl I think. Brother in law has it on a long loan.

Veri

Master Contributor
Martin
Excellent. Will Amir measure the embedded DAC in 2V output? It's an ESS9038Q2M implementation, and I really wonder if it has any stuff like the IMD hump many suffer from or bad ASRC settings (like SU-8 v1 or Tone 2 v0). Much appreciated @Martin :D I quite liked the Burson Swing dac/preamp. Didn't hear anything wrong with the ESS DAC in any case. Sold it to a friend for in his speaker set-up.

Ah, PS, hopefully no "V6" distortion op-amps flavour?

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello @Martin ,
Any news on the burson mesurements ?

I purchased a used Conductor 3X Reference from an online retailer and had it sent to Amir. He tried to measure it last week but one of the channels was DOA. It has been returned. Once I receive the refund I will purchase a new one and have it sent to Amir. It may be another several weeks to a month before the review is completed.

Martin

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I purchased a used Conductor 3X Reference from an online retailer and had it sent to Amir. He tried to measure it last week but one of the channels was DOA. It has been returned. Once I receive the refund I will purchase a new one and have it sent to Amir. It may be another several weeks to a month before the review is completed.

Martin
You really don't have the luck, do you?

Veri

Master Contributor

Martin
Oh come on :oops: bad luck, indeed. How many faulty expensive devices in a row does that make?

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m not having the best of luck with electronics right now. I was out of town for a couple of weeks and powered down my office system. When I got home I powered on my bright red KRK Rokit 6 RPG2 speakers and one of them made a loud pop and now just crackles and won’t make any sound. I could open it up and replace the blown capacitor but I have too many other projects on which I am procrastinating. I just bought a pair of JBL 306P MKII as replacements. They only have balanced inputs so I’m swapping my D50 for a D30 Pro.

Still hunting for my main system. Going to test the Burson, I have an offer from SPL once they can get me a new Phonitor X, and I may still end up with an RME ADI-2 Pro FS R or a Benchmark HPA4. At least my DX7 Pro is still going strong.

Martin

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Not quite sure I'm following you regarding the statements below, so trying to get your perspective on ASR/measurements.

Yeah im all for objective measurements but music is an emotional experience so it's interesting to hear what they percieve.

I agree with you: one's perception of music is an emotional experience. That said:
  1. This site doesn't measure music; it measurements audio equipment.
  2. Would you agree that everyone's emotional response to a given situation can be (and likely is) different? As such I personally don't put much stock in someone else's subjective / emotional experience regarding either music or equipment: their preferences will most likely be very different than my own. But objective measurements of equipment are basically uniform (with some obvious caveats like how a speaker might perform in different rooms). As such those published measurements are really valuable to me.

And the objectivists dont exactly do a great job of linking the measuments to perception and emotional response. So it's not always easy to work out what the objective measurements mean to listening experience.

No, certainly ASR does not provide that linkage. But how could they? Amir measures equipment and its performance. How you perceive music is not something he could measure, nor could he measure your preferences for equipment based on things like aesthetics, your loyalty to a particular brand, feature requirements, perception of value, whether or not you prefer a transparent signal or something with more distortion, etc.

So are you expecting that objective measurement sites like ASR provide you with some definitive grade that tells you how you personally will enjoy a particular audio device?

Red@

Martin
No luck. I'm lookin forward to this review in particular as I find no mesurements of burson new amps anywhere.
Cheers

Last edited:

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have no idea how to measure op amps performance or the equipment or skills to do it.

So you are aware of cognitive bias in uncontrolled listening tests, and ‘have no idea how to measure op amps performance or the equipment or skills to do it’ (nothing inherently wrong with this), yet are ‘convinced’ that you can hear a difference between op amps that operate broadly within similar parameters. May what sort of evidence would leave you unconvinced?:)

jokan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audiophile insanities :oops: none of that looks like a particularly good idea, haha..

Veri, that installation, I know it's not your final method of fitment but it scares me a little. Discrete op-amps have mini capacitors and resistors along with diodes. Lots of potential for EMI/RFI.

I'm sure you will find a secure method for mounting, I know sparkos has right angle adaptors too but probably won't fit. I've seen an offset kit also. I hope you find a way to mount it.

Please let us know how it sounds in your own opinion. I'm very curious to know as it is one of the components that I have considered.
I love the machining!

Veri

Master Contributor
Veri, that installation, I know it's not your final method of fitment but it scares me a little. Discrete op-amps have mini capacitors and resistors along with diodes. Lots of potential for EMI/RFI.

I'm sure you will find a secure method for mounting, I know sparkos has right angle adaptors too but probably won't fit. I've seen an offset kit also. I hope you find a way to mount it.

Please let us know how it sounds in your own opinion. I'm very curious to know as it is one of the components that I have considered.
I love the machining!
I quoted someone else, I think you need to ask him!

ALex_hha

Could anyone explain why almost all vendors still using old USB-B port and only few of them (including Busron) use USB-C? Is there any significant performance/SQ advantages of USB-B?

As I have seen only one con against usb-с - "USB-B has more conductor surface"

Red@

Could anyone explain why almost all vendors still using old USB-B port and only few of them (including Busron) use USB-C? Is there any significant performance/SQ advantages of USB-B?

As I have seen only one con against usb-с - "USB-B has more conductor surface"
I was wondering as well.
But from my experience with both, the usb B is more robust so for stiff cables it will les likely break compared to usb c ( usb c is susceptible to breaking from my experience)

Red@

Martin
Hello @Martin,
Any luck with the burson refund ?

Top Bottom