• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Burson PLAYMATE - inside pics, specs and thoughts

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Hello,

This DAC/headphone amplifier combo is a good successor of the end of life PLAY (some inside pics here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ac-headphone-amplifier.2399/page-3#post-81680).

They swapped TO-252 boost-regulators with SO-8 ones for a lower EMI/RFI noise injected into the surrounding components, Also, the negative XLSEMI regulators were also swapped with TI ones, that seem to perform better, at least regarding the output noise.

The background noise with sensitive IEMs is very low, with my sensitive 103dB/mW (121dB/V) IEM's it's hard for me to hear the hiss, unless the room I'm in a very quiet. Given the fact that there is no analogue pot, the background noise is identical, no matter the rotary controller is at min. or max.) although, like I said, noise shouldn't be heard at all on most headphones).

WP_20190227_07_58_09_Pro.jpg

There are 5 power regulators that are boosting the main 12V/5A power brick (SMPS) to +/-15V twice (so 4 regulators for the power amplifier, one pair per each channel) and the 5th regulator for the relays. The digital parts (XMOS transport and the ES9038C2M DAC) are powered from dedicated linear regulators.

The 8 powerful TO-220 transistors (8 per channel) are able to deliver up to 2W/channel on 32 Ohms cans and 10V RMS @ 600 Ohms.

WP_20190227_07_58_25_Pro.jpg

There are several polymer ELNA caps to filter and reduce the ripple of the DC voltages and to minimize the headphones output background noise too.

WP_20190227_07_59_11_Pro.jpg

The default BASIC version (399 USD), with 5532 opams, has a low THD and very low background noise and it drives all my cans, from IEM to planars and to my 600 Ohms DT880.

WP_20190227_08_01_00_Pro.jpg

There's also the EVEREST or VIVID or CLASSIC options, to mix solid-state opamps inside this combo, like it used to be in the former PLAY. Given the much higher price (649-749 USD), not sure many of us will do that, but for those hating opamps and caps into the audio path this option might be considered.

I think the BASIC version at 399 USD (today's price) is very good combo and with the several digital filters built-in the output sound can be re-shaped according to our own liking. The central LCD, the adjustable internal gain and the relay that switches between headphones and RCA outputs are very good addition vs. the former PLAY combo, although they both share the same DNA after all.

The internal gain doesn't seems to be analogue, so I think everything's done inside the ES9038 chip, by adjusting the output voltage.

PLAYMATE_before_clipping_98volume.png

About 10V RMS @600 Ohms

PLAYMATE-Linearity-98.5dBV.png

PLAYMATE-THD_over_Frequency.png

When I will get a better ADC I'll remeasure this combo, but till now the above graphs is all I got. My ASUS U7 is quite noisy and the 8 KHz is simply there and I can't get rid of it, so feel free to ignore it.

I think this combo worth a try, it has plenty of power, output stage made of transistors instead of opamps and a 0.5 Ohms output impedance after all.

WP_20190227_07_59_00_Pro.jpgWP_20190227_08_01_30_Pro.jpg

Note: This device was sent by Alex from Burson Audio to give it a listen. Not sure why he thinks I could be the right person to test it, but I do my best to find highlights and lowlights in these audio devices.

Later Edit: I consider LME49720 in I/V stage as being an upgrade over the NE5532, in regard with the specs and datasheet, although not a real sonically benefit. In my pics I got these opamps in I/V and the NE5532 are used as Low-Pass (half of opamp) and headphones amplification stage (the other half of opamp).

Attachments

• WP_20190227_08_01_45_Pro.jpg
    WP_20190227_08_01_45_Pro.jpg
    708.4 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:

mtnmankeith

Do you think the topping dx3 competes with the burson playmate? Not looking at the price.
Is the playmate that much better?

OP
trl

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I don't think PLAYMATE is better as a DAC (regarding THD+N or SINAD), but the amplifier inside is top-notch for sure. As a combo device, the Basic version of PLAYMATE could be a good choice for those looking for an allrounder with a 2x2W RMS amplifier inside.

mtnmankeith

I don't think PLAYMATE is better as a DAC (regarding THD+N or SINAD), but the amplifier inside is top-notch for sure. As a combo device, the Basic version of PLAYMATE could be a good choice for those looking for an allrounder with a 2x2W RMS amplifier inside.

Have you ever tested the Burson Playmate or any Dac with the opamp V6? Would the opamp v6 improve the measurements of the dac?

OP
trl

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I have PLAYMATE Everest, it has 2xClassic in I/V and 2xVivid in LPF/Gain-stage.

I got differences when placing Vivids in IV, volume decreased, but also I got a bit better THD+N when using LME49720 in IV. However, differences are really tiny.

I'll search for my measurement this weekend...or I'll get new ones, depends which one takes less time. :)

xprzybylx

I am interested in purchasing the Burson Playmate Vivid. Will it work with Ubuntu 19.04 ?
It seems that Mac OS and Android are supported out-of-the-box and for Windows (7? 8?) there are drivers required.
What about Ubuntu?

Veri

Master Contributor
I'm currently loaning a Burson Swing. It is basically a playmate pre-amp without the headphone outs, and 6 power regulators instead of five.
I can agree with @trl Burson's newest designs are very low-noise/hiss. They are not cheap, but at least they are good amplifiers.

The DAC to me sounds good, not worse than say a Topping D50, but I'd love for @amirm to measure a Playmate or Swing to find out how good the implementation really is :)

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
I am interested in purchasing the Burson Playmate Vivid. Will it work with Ubuntu 19.04 ?
It seems that Mac OS and Android are supported out-of-the-box and for Windows (7? 8?) there are drivers required.
What about Ubuntu?
It uses an XMOS controller which works fine with any UAC2.0 driver (Windows 10, OSX, Linux should have one)

OP
trl

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I had it tested recently on an Ubuntu Live laptop and it worked like a charm.

P.S.: I personally like the Classics more in I/V then Vivid, which work fine in the buffer stage. From measurements perspective LME49720/NE5532 might do better, but by a really small margin.

Veri

Master Contributor
I had it tested recently on an Ubuntu Live laptop and it worked like a charm.

P.S.: I personally like the Classics more in I/V then Vivid, which work fine in the buffer stage. From measurements perspective LME49720/NE5532 might do better, but by a really small margin.
About LME49720. Is there any real-world difference between for example LME49720NA, LME49720HA?

Edit: found a great reply about this exact thing from @tomchr :
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/160649-99-vs-dip-8-packing-lme49720-opamp-post2073947.html

Last edited:
Reactions: trl
Top Bottom