• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Burson Audio Spend a Year Re-inventing the Switching Power Supply

TurbulentCalm

I think most members will get a kick out of this review of Burson Audio’s super high frequency switching power supply.

Ticks all the boxes: creamy smooth - yet superbly detailed audio, capacitors under vastly less strain, darker sound when no audio is playing, noise floors reaching the Earth’s core. Oh and many veils lifted.

Last edited:
OP
TurbulentCalm

TurbulentCalm

Oh and I forgot to mention it has a healthy price tag that just proves that it will satisfy the most critical Audiophile.

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Clean power is very important to the performance. However, I am not sure if this power supply does works as mentioned. Would need to test to know. Maybe someone can buy and tear it apart to see the internals?

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
The miracle here is dragging a power supply test to 17 minutes!

1626683342976.png

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Zero measurements of the performance, what a great review.

OP
TurbulentCalm

TurbulentCalm

I wish someone with money to burn would buy one of these and do a tear down. Would be interesting to see how much the internal components actually cost. I expect to see a huge markup on this power supply, even if it is using ultrasonic frequencies.

OP
TurbulentCalm

TurbulentCalm

Clean power is very important to the performance. However, I am not sure if this power supply does works as mentioned. Would need to test to know. Maybe someone can buy and tear it apart to see the internals?

Actually what I think Burson Audio is telling their valued customers is that they really crap at including simple power line filtering in their equipment and that the supplied power bricks are not really fit for purpose. But that’s ok just buy these new ones for every piece of Burson equipment you own and it will fix the problem.

After all if you can afford Burson Audio gear you got too much money anyway.

Reminds me of all the high cost headphones, deliberately supplied with janky cables. But no problem, just buy our upgrade cable made from super refined, single crystal, oxygen free copper cables that were dipped in fairy dust and coated with woven unicorn hairs for just twice the cost of the headphones and you’ll be transported to audio Nirvana.

Veri

Master Contributor
Actually what I think Burson Audio is telling their valued customers is that they really crap at including simple power line filtering in their equipment and that sort the supplied power bricks are not really fit for purpose but that’s ok just buy these new ones for every price of Burson equipment you own and it will fix the problem.
Funnily enough the one Burson item I've owned had a decent standard power brick and never gave me any noise issues in any set-up. This 'better-er' PSU is just for the audio fools. I guess. In any case, it's a ridiculous price for what seems to be a pretty 'normal' switching supply.

mononoaware

This accelerating playback speed method is effective with 99.9% of videos.
Once you get used to it you can even process 1.75x speed regularly.
iOS YouTube App seems to remember the speed once set (applies to subsequent videos).

Get more content within set amount of time, spread the word.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I always find it fascinating when an audio company manages to make a video with the worst sound possible.. Even the most insane flat earthers do much better with their YouTube videos :facepalm:

jae

Major Contributor
This accelerating playback speed method is effective with 99.9% of videos.
Once you get used to it you can even process 1.75x speed regularly.
iOS YouTube App seems to remember the speed once set (applies to subsequent videos).

Get more content within set amount of time, spread the word.

Combine this with SponsorBlock and uBlock, has literally saved days of time off my life

Save yourself from going in the video menu by using shift + < > hotkeys

mononoaware

Save yourself from going in the video menu by using shift + < > hotkeys

Thanks that's a good tip for viewing on the computer.

escksu

I wish someone with money to burn would buy one of these and do a tear down. Would be interesting to see how much the internal components actually cost. I expect to see a huge markup on this power supply, even if it is using ultrasonic frequencies.

I don't expect the components to be expensive. PC mainboard power supplies have a typical switching frequency of around 150-200KHz. I think this power supply could be using the same principle. If so, components are plentiful and very cheap.

Eldus

It would be interesting to have @amirm measure one of Burson's current product stack. With and without their V6 opamps installed.

Last edited:

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Zero measurements of the performance, what a great review.

Just found this thread by accident, so below are a few measurements for the 5A and 3A power supplies.

Burson_Std_5A_PSU_RippleNoise_ copy.jpeg

Standard PSU Burson 24V/5A - AC ripple & noise of 8.17 mV RMS @ 10 MHz

Burson_Supercharger_5A_RippleNoise copy.jpeg

Low noise Supercharger Burson 24V/5A - AC ripple & noise of 3.635 mV RMS @ 10 MHz
The above tests were done @10 MHz bandwidth with a stable power consumption of about 74 Watts, the standard idle power consumption of the Soloist 3X GT 2023 headamp (yeah, I know, Class A is really not energy friendly). At let's say 90 kHz bandwidth the results would have been much lower and the differences between the two PSUs would have probably been more evident, like in the below measurements done by WolfX-700 on the 24V/3A Supercharger, the lower power PSU models. Wolf measured these two PSUs while being used in a previous Soloist 3X headamp model which was having a much lower idle power consumption (probably a bit over 10 Watts or so).​

OPowerNoise90KBWBAL-scaled.jpg

Standard PSU Burson 24V/3A - AC ripple & noise of 1.4 mV RMS @ 90 kHz

UPPowerNoise90KBWBAL-scaled.jpg

Low noise Supercharger Burson 24V/3A - AC ripple & noise of 0.125 mV RMS @ 90 kHz

Last edited:
Top Bottom